2015 GTX OPS code P0523 -

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wlong1957

Just purchased a used 2015 GTX 4 stroke. I initially found a P0523 oil pressure sensor code. I replaced the sensor as suggested in several posts with an original Seadoo sensor.. I have access to a Candoo Pro. We reset maintenance and erased the fault but it returned. Candoo message gives the reason that the Oil Pressure sensor "possible sticking" The ski has about 90 hrs on it. Candoo shows it was never in limp mode. . No other faults show up. The ski runs fine with no other issues other than the Fault code sending the check engine message.

Anyone ever have this issue. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How old is the oil ? If not new change it.
Make sure it is correct sensor, apparently a lot of confusion;
There is an oil pressure regulator, and the manual shows how to measure oil pressure.
Luck;

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that guys video. I did replace with the latest Oil pressure sensor. That sensor appears to be normally closed and then the oil pressure opens the switch . I also disconnected the ops and started the engine. The code returned, Also I have noticed that when I clear the P0523 code returns even without starting the engine..

Also my oil level is just below midway on the 2 level marks on the dipstick. Oil was supposedly changed this summer . Only 4 hours of use since I got it last month I imagine its a wiring issue or worse in the electronics model Where is the oil pressure regulator? .What would you do next??

Sorry 4 delay i missed this email. CODE RETURNS WITHOUT STARTING ENGINE MIGHT BE HUGE.
Unless it is suppose to work this way, set UNTIL starts, which seems odd, it would seem that you either
are not clearing the code or it is hard set. I have not used a Candoo so do not know.
Did you test old sensor ? New sensor before install ?
If you put in wrong sensor it might do just that ?
If that leads nowhere, I would probably hook up an oil pressure gauge & watch while I rode it.
Manual has two spots for pressure for my ski as I recall. I had oil alarm due to old oil, low hrs but long years,
changed pressure switch no help, changed oil fixed.
How sure are you oil was changed ? And you are checking it correctly ?
Luck

I did check the old sensor. It is normally closed . And then opens when I press. I did not check the new sensor before installing. I got the new one online at seadoo parts which lists the updated part number for the oil pressure sensor as 420256919 for the 2015 model.

I do not know for sure that the oil was actually changed., I have the ski on the trailer now and checked the oil when level. It is slightlly lower than the mid point on the dip stick

My plan this weekend.
1. Attach oil pressure gauge and check pressure at idle and higher RPMs as outlined in the repair manual.( while grounding the ops sensor wire.as this engine does not have an extra spot I think
2. Test new OPS. And make sure it is normally closed.
3. Test continuity with the ops wire to the connector on the ecm computer connector
4.Change oil and filter.with xps blended oil

I'll post my findings.

Thanks again for the reply

I would make VERY sure I had the correct sensor;
Is the old one grey ?
Amazon says 420856533 -> 2006-2014

So the guy with the OPS video, who appears to be shop owner says:
We've seen a ton of Sea-doos this year with oil pressure sensor problems, and we've seen several dealerships and other shops putting the wrong sensors in.I'll tell you which sensor you need and why, and show you the location of the sensor, after that, I think you can figure out how to unscrew it and screw a new one in.Links to all the stuff you've seen in this video:
05 & older Black oil pressure sensor: 420856538 https://amzn.to/37szZ5k
06-17 Grey oil pressure sensor: 420856533 https://amzn.to/2I7AdWS
17-up Brown oil pressure sensor 420256919: https://amzn.to/3E8H1xQ
"Oil tank pressure switch" 420256886 this is the sensor at the front of the engine on some models: https://amzn.to/2JBZFUT

It is confusing. I just checked again. At seadoo parts house it shows the 420256919 for the 2015 GTX155. 420856533 is the OPS for the 2014 model. Other sites for seadoo parts lists those part numbers as well. Currently I installed the new 420256919 in the ski with no correction of the p0523 code. When I get to the lake on friday I will remove the new OPS and check oil pressure . I'll see if the new OPS is normally closed like the old one.

You could check it without removing it by just pulling the connector & measure ohms to block.
Good plan, I would go 2,3,1,4.
Luck
P.S. Oil pressure regulator is at bottom of engine.
There is a procedure for checking oil level.
What color is the old ops ?

The old OPS was grey. The new replacement is brown. I have checked on several seadoo parts sellers and there is a difference between 2014 and 2015. The old OPS is normally closed. So I assume it opens when pressure or temp increases. I'll also have to research if the OTPS switch in the front is open or closed. Also my thinking if the oil pressure is within normal limits (which I will test before and after oil and filter change) then the problem has to be electrical.Either wirng or worse the ecm.

Still no luck. I tested oil pressure. It was within spec per the manual . I tested both new and old OPS. Both are normally closed initially. I checked and verified continuity of the wiring harness from the OPS and pt 3 on the ecm connector. Lastly I changed the oil and filter.
I tried to remove the P0523 fault with the candoo . It continued to return.

Did you check that the new OPS opened as it should ?
What was the pressure ? My ski says low oil threshold is 26 to 32 psi.
Ideally watch the OPS to see if it switches closed / open with rpm,
oddly my ski idle oil pressure min is 23 psi which would trigger ops ???

I was only able to check pressure by connecting the pressure gauge at the OPSensor port. I grounded the OPS when testing. The pressure was around 85 at idle and So I guess I could test the OPSensor when connected for open to ground at higher rpms. I have been emailing Dennis at Candoo. He says its an active fault which cannot be cleared until repaired. It is either a loss of ground to ecm, or faulty ecm. The p0523 is the only code that shows up. The ski runs well with no other issues other than displaying the p0523 fault. I am inclinded to think its the ecm. So I either live with the fault. or replace the ecm. But that is expensive. I have also been reading that sometimes the ecm can be tested and reflashed. Do you know anything about that. I would hate to start changing expensive parts.

Last edited:
this is NOT a reply to your question/problem.

I need help in trying to post. I have tried but am not doing something correctly. each time I thought that i was posting I was doing a reply to nothing. how to post is my question. NEED HELP.
if it helps, my email is imtomjac@gmail.com. I do check messages on my account/profile.

Since new and old OPS are normally closed initially, it seems that GROUNDING IT WOULD
INDICATE LOW OIL PRESSURE, did the manual tell you to do so ?
I am guessing but that connector probably has a pull up, so it will measure 0 volts when
grounded then go "high" when the OPS opens due to oil pressure.
High revs might not be needed, my OPS switches at 26-32 psi.
If the OPS is bad just pulling the wire after starting will go "open"

When measuring oil pressure on my ski, 2005, it says;
To prevent the EMS to go in limp home mode (at
2500 RPM) or to generate a fault code, start engine,
THEN ground OPS connector to engine.
but recall my OPS is opposite.

My ski only has 1 oil pressure code, P0520 = "Oil pressure switch functional problem"
which goes into limp home at 2500 rpm if I read correctly.
I think you have 3:
P0520 ECM Oil pressure switch functional problem
P0523 ECM Oil pressure sensor fault
Engine leak, oil pump failure, damaged sensor, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged
ECM pins. Fault detected when the engine is running or stopped condition
P0524 ECM Low oil pressure
So 0523 might mean it is not getting the initial ground of the OPS closed, which is consistent with "sticking"
And 0524 probably means it believes the OPS & pressure is low.
No guess on 0520.
It would be GREAT to understand how the ECM decides between the 3, they added 0523 & 0524 for a reason.
I find it unlikely that loss of ground to ecm would result in only one error code, but you could ohm out its 4 gnds & see if good.
I found below for a 2007 Ski: If similar then maybe it is looking for a closed OPS before starting or sets error.
Note

HELP....I have a 2007 RXP and get a P0520 code without the engine running. If I run the motor it goes into limp mode as soon as it reaches 3,500 rpm. According to the manual, the ECU is looking for an open on the oil pressure circuit during it's check before starting the engine. I have replaced the oil pressure switch with the new part number replacement and checked the ECU on a known good 2007 RXT. The ECU functions fine on that ski. If I ground the oil pressure plug it does not kick the code or check engine alarm. It's not the oil filter or oil pressure switch since this occurs during the system check before starting the engine. I've checked the 4 ECU grounds. Is there another ground or voltage I should be checking ? Any other idea's ? Thanks....

Also found this:
I've seen this happen once. On a 04 GTX SC. The oil pump housing lost continuity with the block. The ECM looks for a ground but cannot find it at the front oil pressure/tank switch and it will keep throwing the P0520. Check for continuity between housing and block. This machine had alot of corrosion around oil pump housing and block.

And this re a P0523
I had the same issue, couldnt clear the code. Would also throw other random codes at times. This was fixed with a new battery. The old battery charged up fine, start the ski. The battery was approx 2 years old. Would recommend getting a new battery.
Luck

J5less1, there should be an empty reply box at bottom of thread, 3" x 10" on full laptop, you just type it in. & hit post reply, see pic.

Attachments

• snip.png
    snip.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 1
Here is why this has been puzzling. The only fault is p0523 . There are no other fault codes seen either by using the cluster screen or using the candoo scan tool. The seadoo runs well with no issues. The only problem is the annoying fault code.

I have started the ski with the ops wire unplugged. that has no effect on the p0523 fault. My 2015 ski has the OPS as normally closed. whereas earlier skis were normally open. So my 2015 will show contact to ground normally when starting.

When I tested the oil pressure I grounded the ops sensor to the block with wire clamp to mimic it being in place. . That had no effect. Both new and old ops were normally closed when tested. I assume that when the engine runs a bit the normally closed ops opens and the ecm sees that..

I guess my next step will test grounds at the ecm plugs. On the b connector I'll test for ground at l1,m3, and m2 and the a connector at e3 per the 2015 seadoo 4tec wiring diagram. If all show continuity to ground then it cant be wiring I would think. Leading me to believe it may be the ecm.

So far there is good pressure, wiring to the ops is intact, oil and filter are new.

Thanks for all your input. Its nice to know I am not alone in this project

1) "I have started the ski with the ops wire unplugged. that has no effect on the p0523 fault."
If it is LOOKING FOR GND before starting, which is what I suspect, you need to do the
opposite, gnd the wire & check if goes away before start, maybe gnd at ecm seems like should be ok.
My GUESS is that 5023 means no gnd on OPS before start.
2) "When I tested the oil pressure I grounded the ops sensor to the block with wire clamp to mimic it being in place."
So on your ski gnd on OPS = low oil pressure, good oil pressure is when it opens.
3) Ask your Candoo contact if he knows or can find out how the ECM picks between 5020, 5023, 5024,
if you do have 3 codes ?

I did ground before starting but there was no effect. I also traced the ecm wire to the ops and it has continuity, I only have 1 fault P0523 I do not have a p5020 or P5024

I see your logic regarding the OPS wire. I assume the ecm sees ground at the OPS and then it opens and looses ground I even tried that and disconnected the ops wire while running, All to no effect on the fault code. Since I know that the wire to the ops to a3 on the ecm connecto ris good Ill next check the b plug grounds. If they are all good then it has to be the ecm. I wonder if the BUDS system can test the ecm .

1) Did you gnd the wire or the ECM pin such that the ECM sees gnd before start ?
2) I meant does your ski have P0520, P0523, P0524 listed as FAULT OPTIONS in your manual ?
Mine ONLY has P0520, they added the other two, possibly to help debug or reduce false faults.
So I think your ski sees no gnd before start, and OPS still open after start, so it
decides the OPS is stuck or disconnected and continues to run since it

does not trust the OPS - be real nice to have this confirmed. Ideally
the logic tree it uses to decide on the 3 possible codes WOULD HELP.

Again OPS gnd at ECM should get rid of code before start, and induce fault after start.

How old is the battery ? How many hours ? Condition of engine, clean, dirty, rusty ?

The ski had 91 hours. Very clean. Don't know the age of the battery but tests good with my coil tester @ 13.5v.

My manual shows the same 3 options of P0520,P0523, and P0524 . But my fault code per the cluster and candoo is P0523 only

I tested the OPS by probing resistance of the contact pin on the sensor to the block. I had continuity so that means that the OPS itself was closed to ground. I then tested the ecm connector at pin 3 on the A connector to the OPS connector to verify that there was no break in the wire.

This weekend I will test continuity for all ground connections on both the A and B connectors. The ski runs well. The scanner shows it was never in limp mode.

So if there is 1 good oil pressure
2 good continuity with wiring harness
3 good grounds at the ecm
4 new oil and filter
5 New OPS that tests normally closed.And functions correctly when pressing the internal contact

What else is there to check ?

1) Did you measure ohms to gnd not just beeper ? Beeper has a range.
2) Did you measure open on OPS after start, infinite ohms ?
3) There was a guy who said it was his battery.
4) Again if you could get the ECM logic for deciding when to throw which code, 20, 23, 24,
it might cement cause.
5) If it is looking for gnd, and gnd is there, maybe just that ecm input is bad.
A) You could mount oil pressure gauge & forget about it.

This weekend I measured continuity from all grounds onn the A and B connectors.
Zero resistance on the b plug. about lk resistence on the A connector thru the OPS sensor.
So its not oil pressure or wiring or sensor. Has to be the ECM.
I will have to research it and see if there is a way to test it. I remember about 30 years ago I had a 93 GSX. Everything worked but it would not shut off by removing the lanyard key. I ended up replacing the mpem and all was good. Problem is with the newer models the ECMs are pricey.

Please elaborate on how you measured resistance to ground.
Guessing, the OPS signal probably connects to a pull up resistor,
so how you measure matters.
Measure the resistance of old OPS by its-self probably closer to zero.

on A3 I measured from the a3 connection to engine ground, to negative pole of the battery and also the body of the OPS. Also checked one more time continuity of the OPS wire to the A3 teminal. B connections as well.

Old OPS measures about the same.

I use my fluke meter. It determines range automatically

Please elaborate on pull up resistor and what effect could have on the ECM fault

Last edited:
So what is confusing me is "Zero resistance on the b plug. about lk resistence on the A connector thru the OPS sensor."
All of the grounds should be zero to ground, do the A's measure zero ohms ?

They are PROBABLY all tied together in the ECM, but maybe not, some circuit might have its own gnd.
I would measure each ECM pin to gnd & each connector wire to gnd.

Also "Old OPS measures about the same." what is same 1k ? seems very high, the OPS's I see on web are zero ohms.

Back