2012 Speedster 150 Owners Manual error

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Hey All,

I am not sure if this is common but I just wanted everyone who is looking at the new Speedster 150s that the users manual and even a couple of videos I have seen on the boat are incorrect in a couple of areas.

The new Speedster has a some cool new modes. Docking mode, ECO mode, Cruise mode that are all nice. What it doesn't have is SKI mode. Ski mode is supposed to be a mode that you set based on the skill level of the skiier and the boat will hold the speed at the level you set.

That mode is not on the Speedster 150 even though it is documented in the user manual and the light even comes on for it on the dash when turning the ski on for the light self test.

The manual also mentions that the boat will "chirp" like the skis do when the lanyard is connected. This is also not true on this boat.

There is an updated user manual on SeaDoo's website that can be downloaded that no longer lists these features, but I wanted anyone who is thinking of buying this boat to know that the Ski Mode is not available even though the dealer may tell you it is based on the user manual.

That said.....What a GREAT boat...I absolutely love it and highly recommend to anyone looking for something in that class of boat.

Happy Boating,

Watermaniac

Thank you for the info. I currently can't get any mode other than Eco-mode to com up, but at least now I have one less to worry about. HA.

Any advice?

I have the same issus with my 2012 speedster 150. I push the mode and get Eco mode......Lap time.....Display...then back to Eco mode. I thought these boats had docking mode

I took mine to the dealer and they attempted to program the modes according to sea-doo instructions. The dealer told me they were unsuccessful, and ordered a new computer. However, I took the boat out over the weekend while waiting for the dealer to get the new computer and all modes were present, so something they did made them appear.

The takeaway is this, 2012 speedsters should have Eco, dock and cruise mode. If you do not have these modes, see your dealer, if they give you a hard time, call sea-doo. I got it straight from BRP. Good luck!

Thanks

I took mine to the dealer and they attempted to program the modes according to sea-doo instructions. The dealer told me they were unsuccessful, and ordered a new computer. However, I took the boat out over the weekend while waiting for the dealer to get the new computer and all modes were present, so something they did made them appear.

The takeaway is this, 2012 speedsters should have Eco, dock and cruise mode. If you do not have these modes, see your dealer, if they give you a hard time, call sea-doo. I got it straight from BRP. Good luck!

I Thought this was the issue. The dealer said that some of the models did not come with Docking mode...but I was not convinced. Thanks for taking the time to address this.......Not sure I need either mode....but hey....they are supposed to be there. Thanks again

Yeah, that's how I felt about it too, especially after taking out for a few trips without the modes, I didn't really see myself using them all that much, but I paid for them so they should be there.

With that said, playing with the modes once they were there, they are pretty cool.

ECO saves you gas, and is nice when I got my 4 year old on the boat (and during break in) because it keeps you from punching it. It is also nice if you have a bimini, so you don't forget and go too fast with that top up. It keeps my boat topped out at about 33-35.

CRUISE I tested out and could see it being useful if I was going on a long, one way trip somewhere, which we do sometimes here along the inter-coastal, but I haven't made it through break in yet so can't really use that yet.

DOCK was the biggest surprise, because I had already docked the boat so many times and the steering/maneuvering already tops any boat I've ever docked before, so I couldn't imagine how much of a benefit it could be, but it really lets you focus on the docking and not worry about the throttle, there is no way you're gonna slip and punch it too hard or come in to fast, which is especially great if I am tying up and my wife is at the controls, I'm always fearful she is going to send me flying out of the boat (accidentally of course....)

Anyway, gotta imagine that if you ever go to resell the boat it will also be brought up...

The only thing that I really do not like about the modes is that you can't switch the display while in one of the modes. For Example - you can't check your engine temp or the time while in cruise mode. That kind of stinks.

You're right that is kinda crummy, what's up with that? Wouldn't it be cool if the could fix that in an update that you could download like an app?

Fixed

Thanks for all your help with this. I did go back to the dealer and they updated the onboard computer and now I have all the specified modes. Apparently some of the 150 speedsters went out without the update. I really appreciate your feedback...it was very helpful and gave me cause to ask the dealer again about the missing modes

Yeah, that's how I felt about it too, especially after taking out for a few trips without the modes, I didn't really see myself using them all that much, but I paid for them so they should be there.

With that said, playing with the modes once they were there, they are pretty cool.

ECO saves you gas, and is nice when I got my 4 year old on the boat (and during break in) because it keeps you from punching it. It is also nice if you have a bimini, so you don't forget and go too fast with that top up. It keeps my boat topped out at about 33-35.

CRUISE I tested out and could see it being useful if I was going on a long, one way trip somewhere, which we do sometimes here along the inter-coastal, but I haven't made it through break in yet so can't really use that yet.

DOCK was the biggest surprise, because I had already docked the boat so many times and the steering/maneuvering already tops any boat I've ever docked before, so I couldn't imagine how much of a benefit it could be, but it really lets you focus on the docking and not worry about the throttle, there is no way you're gonna slip and punch it too hard or come in to fast, which is especially great if I am tying up and my wife is at the controls, I'm always fearful she is going to send me flying out of the boat (accidentally of course....)

Anyway, gotta imagine that if you ever go to resell the boat it will also be brought up...

I'm glad you got it fixed. The modes are kind of fun to play with, but bottom line is you paid for it so it ought to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back