2012 210 Challenger, New Boat, Super Charger Question !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the engine sits, it would be on the opposite side of the SC. As you can see it's just under the SC. The pluc comes off very easy by depressing the pin on the plug while pulling it off. Then a deep well socket to unscrew it. It really can't get any more simple.

Here's yours
8b5bfbbc2dc8238675d10c7611e2b7a6.jpg

@delonnelj Just wanted to say that you gave some really awesome information and taught me some new stuff!! Thanks! Not sure if relevant but what are your opinions on cylinder compression? I've heard some people doing compression testing and have one, or several, of their cylinders be low. Not entirely sure how that happens, and sequentially how often it occurs, but i've read it can be problematic. Have any understanding of that and care to share?

It's a hot topic, but I tested mine cold. The most important thing is to get a good gauge. Mine were at 135 cold. Anything over 125 is solid. You also want to make sure they are all nearly the same psi. That's probably the most important aspect of testing compression. Even with a bad guage if they're all the same PSI then you can assume they are fine. I've Never seen three bad cylinders at the same time without some catastrophic failure.

If you had a compression issue you would hear grinding and even back fire not to mention massive loss of oil. You also would not make max RPM either. To test you will need a 12mm thread piece on your compression guage to screw into your sparkplug threads. You will remove ALL three plugs and leave the injectors connected. Push your start button for 3 secs and your needle on the compression guage will jump 2-3times. The highest reading is your compression.

Last edited:
Interesting read Anthonymsaad, I am currently at the 100 hr mark on my 2012 180 challenger and faced with the dilemma of choosing to listen to my dealer and wait for 200 hrs or go ahead and have the service done at 100 hours.
I would like to read more if you could send me the document on technical understanding how superchargers work.

That would be great..

Thanks

Brent

Interesting read Anthonymsaad, I am currently at the 100 hr mark on my 2012 180 challenger and faced with the dilemma of choosing to listen to my dealer and wait for 200 hrs or go ahead and have the service done at 100 hours.
I would like to read more if you could send me the document on technical understanding how superchargers work.

That would be great..

Thanks

Brent
How long ago was the service performed? Here is a video we did explaining the reasons behind every 100 hours or two year:

Here is our service: Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service supercharger-rebuild-service

My 2012 Chaleenger 230 with the 255's had the same issue. Wasnt a SC problem. It was the intercooler. The intercoolers are severely flawed. They develop leaks internally and then allow water to get into the airflow that enters the engine. Pull your spark plugs and see if they are wet from water, not fuel. I had visible water in the plugs. The original intercoolers didnt have a pressure relief valve built in...so too much pressure needs to go somewhere, they typically blow a hole internally. The new design has a relief that prevents this issue. I didnt have time to deal with it and paid a local shop to handle it for me. The left engine was bad, but i went ahead and did both engines so it wont be a problem again. Cost me $2100 bucks for both. That also got both engines new plugs and oil changes.

How long ago was the service performed? Here is a video we did explaining the reasons behind every 100 hours or two year:

Here is our service: Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service supercharger-rebuild-service

Isn't the 2yrs 100hrs for the jet skis though, since they are typically driven harder? More importantly, they are jumped more frequently out of the water and sucking air into the jet intake? Would doing that wear out the SC friction washer as the engine experiences no load, SC ramps up, then experiences a rapid load, causing the SC wanting to slow down, but sped back up by the engine?

By comparison, boats aren't driven that harshly or jumped out of the water nearly as much, at least by most boat operators. As such, isn't this why the owner's manual suggested the SC clutch be inspected every 2yrs or 200hrs, which I just go ahead and have it rebuilt at that time?

Thank you for contacting BRP.

In response to your request, we recently revised the recommended maintenance on the 2011-2012
Sea-Doo supercharger. The new requirement is now 200 hours, irrespective of the number of years.

Thank you for your time.

Jonathan
Customer Service
Service à la Clientèle
BRP
75, rue J-A Bombardier | Sherbrooke | QC | Canada | J1L 1W3
T +1.819.566.3366 | F +1.819.566.3062 | US +1.715.848.4957

From my understanding, the plastic within the bearings gets brittle over the years (heat, time) and can break - hence the two year time frame
This response makes me happy as I had my new 84 hrs 2011 180 for two weeks now, and only ran it for a few mins to test it. Been meaning to take the SC out this week for a rebuild. Maybe I'll just wait until the 100 hrs mark.

Thank you for contacting BRP.

In response to your request, we recently revised the recommended maintenance on the 2011-2012
Sea-Doo supercharger. The new requirement is now 200 hours, irrespective of the number of years.

Thank you for your time.

Jonathan
Customer Service
Service à la Clientèle
BRP
75, rue J-A Bombardier | Sherbrooke | QC | Canada | J1L 1W3
T +1.819.566.3366 | F +1.819.566.3062 | US +1.715.848.4957

My 2012 Chaleenger 230 with the 255's had the same issue. Wasnt a SC problem. It was the intercooler. The intercoolers are severely flawed. They develop leaks internally and then allow water to get into the airflow that enters the engine. Pull your spark plugs and see if they are wet from water, not fuel. I had visible water in the plugs. The original intercoolers didnt have a pressure relief valve built in...so too much pressure needs to go somewhere, they typically blow a hole internally. The new design has a relief that prevents this issue. I didnt have time to deal with it and paid a local shop to handle it for me. The left engine was bad, but i went ahead and did both engines so it wont be a problem again. Cost me $2100 bucks for both. That also got both engines new plugs and oil changes.
Just for clarification, what exact issues were you experiencing that lead you down the path of the intercooler? Thanks !

Just for clarification, what exact issues were you experiencing that lead you down the path of the intercooler? Thanks !

Left engine running rough. RPM would surge. Sometimes it was fine. Other times, I would give it throttle, Right engine up to 7800-8000 RPM like normal, left engine would top out like 6000. Smetimes it revved up fine, other times it bouced and surged rpm. It just seemed to sputter. Very intermittent though. My first guess was supercharger, but both only had 20 hours on them. I didnt have time to deal with it for this season, so i took it to one of the best sea doo mechanics in this area. He had it figured out in no time. Said its pretty common with these intercoolers.

The original intercoolers didn't have a pressure relief valve built in...so too much pressure needs to go somewhere, they typically blow a hole internally. The new design has a relief that prevents this issue. I didn't have time to deal with it and paid a local shop to handle it for me. Question so it the new design by seadoo? or aftermarket?

Left engine running rough. RPM would surge. Sometimes it was fine. Other times, I would give it throttle, Right engine up to 7800-8000 RPM like normal, left engine would top out like 6000. Smetimes it revved up fine, other times it bouced and surged rpm. It just seemed to sputter. Very intermittent though. My first guess was supercharger, but both only had 20 hours on them. I didnt have time to deal with it for this season, so i took it to one of the best sea doo mechanics in this area. He had it figured out in no time. Said its pretty common with these intercoolers.
That's what mine does but only for the first couple of minutes and then the engine runs great for the rest of the day. Almost like it has to warm up and then its fine until the next time I take it out, then same thing again. Is this a major issue that I should have looked at right away of could it wait to the end of the season ? Engine only has 57 hours on it. Thanks in advance for your help !

Does your boat utilize both an intercooler and external cooler as well? I thought the difference between my twin 215s and your 255s were, along with a larger SC, your engines needed an external cooler instead to better cool the charged air?

From my understanding, the plastic within the bearings gets brittle over the years (heat, time) and can break - hence the two year time frame
This response makes me happy as I had my new 84 hrs 2011 180 for two weeks now, and only ran it for a few mins to test it. Been meaning to take the SC out this week for a rebuild. Maybe I'll just wait until the 100 hrs mark.
Question when you pulled apart the supercharger how were the bearings was the cage brittle? After looking at it do you still think it needed to be done?

Question when you pulled apart the supercharger how were the bearings was the cage brittle? After looking at it do you still think it needed to be done?
No - it looked identical to the new one. I sort of regret spending so much $ to rebuild it (i.e I wish I had listened to you earlier!)

The main differences were:
Orange cage was slightly darker on the older bearings
New rebuild nut doesn't seem to be copper

My boat is 2011 and 84 hrs on it - I was terrified when I marine tested it a few weeks ago when I got it for less than an hour. Seeing the shape of things, I frankly think it would have been fine for another 100 hours.

If anyone has a new bearing lying around (damaged for whatever reason) I would love to have it or just the plastic cage. I can conduct a brittleness test between the new plastic cage vs. old one.

No - it looked identical to the new one. I sort of regret spending so much $ to rebuild it (i.e I wish I had listened to you earlier!)

The main differences were:
Orange cage was slightly darker on the older bearings
New rebuild nut doesn't seem to be copper

My boat is 2011 and 84 hrs on it - I was terrified when I marine tested it a few weeks ago when I got it for less than an hour. Seeing the shape of things, I frankly think it would have been fine for another 100 hours.

I highly doubt you would have lasted another 100 hours. I've seen supercharger failures at 52 hours and 67 hours. The thing is, they were both over 5 years old. Just today, as a precaution, I rebuilt a supercharger for a customer that just bought a 2013 RXP with only 16 hours on it. He's a helicopter technician and he understands.

Chester

If anyone has a new bearing lying around (damaged for whatever reason) I would love to have it or just the plastic cage. I can conduct a brittleness test between the new plastic cage vs. old one.

These are the old bearings I have laying around.

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_211324.jpg
    IMG_20180606_211324.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180606_211302.jpg
    IMG_20180606_211302.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back