2012 210 Challenger, New Boat, Super Charger Question !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

studiocat13

OK Guys, After looking around on this site I am getting a lot of great info but also learning more about my new boat and some info that is a little scary. With that said, the newly purchased 2012 210 Challenger I have did something weird while out this weekend and I started thinking about all of the Super Charger posts on here. The boat only had 47 hours on it when I bought it and now has 52 and has run great up until yesterday. When I first started out form the dock it would not throttle up fully, almost like it was in Eco-Mode but just a little less. I stopped, checked all settings on I-Control and then proceeded again and then it eventually started to throttle normally and I was able to hit top speed. I didn't have any other issues the entire day but started thinking that the SC has probably never been re-built and that the clutch may be going out on it. Does this sound like a SC issue? How would I know if the SC was ever re-built or serviced? Thanks in advance for your help !
BTW, The new dual-battery system worked great this weekend (Will post that soon for others) and I am loving the new stereo system !

That's not how the sc fails. Sounds more like you should change your plugs.

Difficult to tell if the sc has been rebuilt if done properly. They don't fail as often in the boats but always a good idea to have it done if you're unsure.

When buying a boat I always go ahead and perform all the required maintenance to ensure I have a clean starting period in regards to regular maintenance items. In regards to our boats, this would consist of the typical yearly maintenance items such as plugs, oil and filter.

If you haven't done this yet and cannot confirm when it was done last, I'd go ahead and service the boat before using it again. Parts for each motor is roughly $75, so it's not expensive.

The supercharger should be rebuilt every 2 years or 100 hours. You can certainly stretch this a bit, but if you are unsure if the supercharger has ever been serviced, then I would bite the bullet and spend the $435 and get it rebuilt as well, so you know it has been taken care of.

Swap your plugs and see how she runs, but make sure you get on top of the regular maintenance items as well.

When buying a boat I always go ahead and perform all the required maintenance to ensure I have a clean starting period in regards to regular maintenance items. In regards to our boats, this would consist of the typical yearly maintenance items such as plugs, oil and filter.

If you haven't done this yet and cannot confirm when it was done last, I'd go ahead and service the boat before using it again. Parts for each motor is roughly $75, so it's not expensive.

The supercharger should be rebuilt every 2 years or 100 hours. You can certainly stretch this a bit, but if you are unsure if the supercharger has ever been serviced, then I would bite the bullet and spend the $435 and get it rebuilt as well, so you know it has been taken care of.

Swap your plugs and see how she runs, but make sure you get on top of the regular maintenance items as well.
Thanks Guys,
I will double check with the dealer I bought it from and see what they did and didn't do and then you go from there.
Thanks again !

Swap your plugs and see how she runs, but make sure you get on top of the regular maintenance items as well.[/QUOTE

So how difficult is it to remove the SC from my 210 Challenger and what tools will I need? I watched the video from PWC Muscle but that was for a Jet Ski and not a boat so just wanted to check.
Thanks !

Supercharger isn't too difficult to remove. You'll need about and hour or so to remove each.

Tools: Basic socket set. I6 point or the newer "multi-head" kind are best as the bolts are toque heads. I believe a 1/4" 16 point socket works great for 2 of the 3 bolts holding the SC'er in place. You'll need a 1/4" box wrench for the top bolt on the backside (motor side) of the SCer.

You'll need tools to loosen hose clamps and also to remove the plastic intake. It's no different than the video you saw on the ski, just slightly different engine bay packaging.

Supercharger isn't too difficult to remove. You'll need about and hour or so to remove each.

Tools: Basic socket set. I6 point or the newer "multi-head" kind are best as the bolts are toque heads. I believe a 1/4" 16 point socket works great for 2 of the 3 bolts holding the SC'er in place. You'll need a 1/4" box wrench for the top bolt on the backside (motor side) of the SCer.

You'll need tools to loosen hose clamps and also to remove the plastic intake. It's no different than the video you saw on the ski, just slightly different engine bay packaging.
Thanks JPass ! I will let you know how it goes.

You may need to loosen the muffler to get the SC'er out of the motor. I can't recall exactly. Its held in place with a rubber strap.

Just had this problem. I have a 12 230sp. How many rpms are you able to get to? Loss of power is linked to many things. Don't always assume your SC. You have the steel washers and 52 hours isn't much. I took mine to 200 hours as the manual says. It does say change every two years tho. I purchased mine in 17 with 60 hrs and changed the SC at 170hrs. The way you know if it's been serviced is look for the Plex or one ear hose clamps, they crimp rather than screw to tighten. The mfg uses those. If you see them on a hose it's never been touched. If you can give me more info I can give you more feedback on your issue.

I wouldn't take the SC off yet. You can check the SC without removing it. You'd be better suited locating the problem before you go doing random maintenance.

Just had this problem. I have a 12 230sp. How many rpms are you able to get to? Loss of power is linked to many things. Don't always assume your SC. You have the steel washers and 52 hours isn't much. I took mine to 200 hours as the manual says. It does say change every two years tho. I purchased mine in 17 with 60 hrs and changed the SC at 170hrs. The way you know if it's been serviced is look for the Plex or one ear hose clamps, they crimp rather than screw to tighten. The mfg uses those. If you see them on a hose it's never been touched. If you can give me more info I can give you more feedback on your issue.

I wouldn't take the SC off yet. You can check the SC without removing it. You'd be better suited locating the problem before you go doing random maintenance.
Thanks so much for the info, I will certainly take a look at the hose clamps and let you know and then go from there. I'll keep you posted...
Thanks Again !

Sorry for the long post, I just like to be very thorough, complete, and provide as much info to help you. If my post is too long, and feel like most of my stuff is unnecessary/irrelevant and, moving forward, keep it to myself of DM, please let me know, don't want to upset anyone. As what I presume to be a first time owner to operating a SC SeaDoo, feel like you could use some knowledge about your boat and some advice in making sure your boat stays just as amazing and awesome as when you first drive, with only a big smile on your face and no worries driving it!! Wish I had someone do the same, but the guys here are definitely super helpful and knowledgeable. That said, my degree(s) is (are) in engineering so, like you, I was super cautions and nervous operating my boat at first and the more I learned more about it, the more I just LOVED my boat and could quench my worries be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is SeaDoo! If you, or anyone, or worried about the SC, clutch, washers and how they work, and would like to a technical understanding how they work, I would be glad to message you privately and explain it to you. (I already wrote it all up and figured it would make my already long post unbearably long. But I just copied it to a word doc so not trouble to send it to anyone).

With my 5am rambling set aside and back to the post.

If you want to check the SC, before even pulling them on, there are a few things you can do. First off, during that event, if you didn't notice either any abnormal fluttering with the RPM needle, or surging (irrelevant power delivery not corresponding to RPM), then it is most likely NOT a SC related issue, or at least very unlikely to be due to the washer. If you experienced any of that, then possibly. Since I have the SE, with 2x 215 SC engines, it's a bit different for me as I can compare RPMs between them for any abnormal RPM flutters from the Tach needle and, if surges occur, it's more noticeable for me to feel the turning left or right as a result (highly unlikely both my SC would fail simultaneously and behave identically). But, even if it was the SC slipping (I can explain what that really means if you'd like), you have like the 5hrs of driving time to get it looked at and not so bad. The upgraded washer's, which you have, are the result of several iterations of washer design and materials and, more importantly, not ceramic so unlikely to experience a sudden catastrophic failure (Seriously, don't jump to catastrophic failure, it's REALLY REALLY unlikely to occur. You'd have to be insanely unlucky, something else messed up, terrible maintenance, or extremely reckless. Under normal usage, it's like getting struck by lightning, that unlikely).

Another trick, which I learned from a Sea-Doo tech who works on our boats, is you can grab the output hose that comes off the SC (should be easier to reach for you than me). You would do this with the engine off and squeeze the tube, getting a feel for it. With the engine on, squeeze that hose again, making sure to avoid touching anything else in the event anything is hot. If you can't squeeze the tube, then your SC is most likely fine and is engaged producing boost pressure. If you can squeeze it, then that means it isn't engaging. Again, if you'd like a better understanding how this tests works, let me know. Really want to ease your fears and understand why.

Furthermore, like the others have said, it doesn't sound like a SC related issue, especially since you could get full throttle later and had a normal day with no issues after that event. Could possibly be a spark plug and really easy to replace and inexpensive. But since your issue occurred right when you were launching at the docks, I'm thinking maybe some bad fuel. That said, when you noticed restricted throttle, did you rev the engines a bit trying again, cut the engine off to check things, turned the engine back on and everything was fine and able to go throttle? Or, when you turned the engine off and back on, still had throttle issues, but it eventually allowed you go full throttle? It could be just a stiff throttle body lever, which you eventually loosened up, which is fine. These engines are smart enough to sense things to help protect themselves. Personally, I would recommend that you don't really go full throttle right after launching the boat. Definitely give some time and drive around at up to ECO mode RPM for a few minutes (I usually wait 5-10min), before going full throttle. Like a car, it's good to let the oil warm up, circulate, and lubricate the engine and SC, and allow the engine to get up to operational temp. Like most cars, you can go full throttle right away, and won't notice a difference in performance, but if you drive a high performance car (I have a twin turbocharged BMW, but I've also driven other high performance cars and it's all the same), you'll notice a huge difference in performance characteristics between just after start up compared to letting the engine warm up. I see this because what classifies cars as high performance are the facts they their engines are some combination of high revving, boosted, tuned for power, and overall built for performance. We don't have normal boats, clearly. We have engines that are supercharged and revving up to 8K RPM, which really most high performance cars don't even go, and even if they do, they're red lining and stay there briefly before dropping, while our engines can stay indefinitely there. Besides demonstrating how cool the closed looping cooling system is, boat engines go through a lot more abuse with all the vibrations and variance of water load, so I like to treat my engines like my cars and use applicable methods between them, and then some appropriate for boats. Again, that's my personal stance. I know my BMW is a pain with dozens of computers and crazy sensitive and I know engine temp does effect throttle response and sensitivity for me, but not entire sure if it causes that much of an impact on the Rotax engine. But I like to err' on the side of precaution.

Sorry for the long post, I just like to be very thorough, complete, and provide as much info to help you. If my post is too long, and feel like most of my stuff is unnecessary/irrelevant and, moving forward, keep it to myself of DM, please let me know, don't want to upset anyone. As what I presume to be a first time owner to operating a SC SeaDoo, feel like you could use some knowledge about your boat and some advice in making sure your boat stays just as amazing and awesome as when you first drive, with only a big smile on your face and no worries driving it!! Wish I had someone do the same, but the guys here are definitely super helpful and knowledgeable. That said, my degree(s) is (are) in engineering so, like you, I was super cautions and nervous operating my boat at first and the more I learned more about it, the more I just LOVED my boat and could quench my worries be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is SeaDoo! If you, or anyone, or worried about the SC, clutch, washers and how they work, and would like to a technical understanding how they work, I would be glad to message you privately and explain it to you. (I already wrote it all up and figured it would make my already long post unbearably long. But I just copied it to a word doc so not trouble to send it to anyone).

If you want to check the SC, before even pulling them on, there are a few things you can do. First off, during that event, if you didn't notice either any abnormal fluttering with the RPM needle, or surging (irrelevant power delivery not corresponding to RPM), then it is most likely NOT a SC related issue, or at least very unlikely to be due to the washer. If you experienced any of that, then possibly. Since I have the SE, with 2x 215 SC engines, it's a bit different for me as I can compare RPMs between them for any abnormal RPM flutters from the Tach needle and, if surges occur, it's more noticeable for me to feel the turning left or right as a result (highly unlikely both my SC would fail simultaneously and behave identically). But, even if it was the SC slipping (I can explain what that really means if you'd like), you have like the 5hrs of driving time to get it looked at and not so bad. The upgraded washer's, which you have, are the result of several iterations of washer design and materials and, more importantly, not ceramic so unlikely to experience a sudden catastrophic failure (Seriously, don't jump to catastrophic failure, it's REALLY REALLY unlikely to occur. You'd have to be insanely unlucky, something else messed up, terrible maintenance, or extremely reckless. Under normal usage, it's like getting struck by lightning, that unlikely).

Another trick, which I learned from a Sea-Doo tech who works on our boats, is you can grab the output hose that comes off the SC (should be easier to reach for you than me). You would do this with the engine off and squeeze the tube, getting a feel for it. With the engine on, squeeze that hose again, making sure to avoid touching anything else in the event anything is hot. If you can't squeeze the tube, then your SC is most likely fine and is engaged producing boost pressure. If you can squeeze it, then that means it isn't engaging. Again, if you'd like a better understanding how this tests works, let me know. Really want to ease your fears and understand why.

Furthermore, like the others have said, it doesn't sound like a SC related issue, especially since you could get full throttle later and had a normal day with no issues after that event. Could possibly be a spark plug and really easy to replace and inexpensive. But since your issue occurred right when you were launching at the docks, I'm thinking maybe some bad fuel. That said, when you noticed restricted throttle, did you rev the engines a bit trying again, cut the engine off to check things, turned the engine back on and everything was fine and able to go throttle? Or, when you turned the engine off and back on, still had throttle issues, but it eventually allowed you go full throttle? It could be just a stiff throttle body lever, which you eventually loosened up, which is fine. These engines are smart enough to sense things to help protect themselves. Personally, I would recommend that you don't really go full throttle right after launching the boat. Definitely give some time and drive around at up to ECO mode RPM for a few minutes (I usually wait 5-10min), before going full throttle. Like a car, it's good to let the oil warm up, circulate, and lubricate the engine and SC, and allow the engine to get up to operational temp. Like most cars, you can go full throttle right away, and won't notice a difference in performance, but if you drive a high performance car (I have a twin turbocharged BMW, but I've also driven other high performance cars and it's all the same), you'll notice a huge difference in performance characteristics between just after start up compared to letting the engine warm up. I see this because what classifies cars as high performance are the facts they their engines are some combination of high revving, boosted, tuned for power, and overall built for performance. We don't have normal boats, clearly. We have engines that are supercharged and revving up to 8K RPM, which really most high performance cars don't even go, and even if they do, they're red lining and stay there briefly before dropping, while our engines can stay indefinitely there. Besides demonstrating how cool the closed looping cooling system is, boat engines go through a lot more abuse with all the vibrations and variance of water load, so I like to treat my engines like my cars and use applicable methods between them, and then some appropriate for boats. Again, that's my personal stance. I know my BMW is a pain with dozens of computers and crazy sensitive and I know engine temp does effect throttle response and sensitivity for me, but not entire sure if it causes that much of an impact on the Rotax engine. But I like to err' on the side of precaution.
Anthony, Thanks for much for all of the info and I would love to read your full article on the SC if you could send it to me. Draper79@yahoo.com
I took the boat back out yesterday and had the same issue but paid more attention to it. It basically limited itself to 6000 rpm for the first couple of minutes after launch but then reved all the way up to 8000 for the rest of the day and had no other issues. The boat came from Michigan and this could just be some residual oil in the chambers from winterizing or like someone else mentioned, the plugs themselves but I always welcome any other advice. I will certainly check the SC as you suggested earlier. If all of that checks out I would look to run it this season and then have it rebuilt this winter and possibly upgraded for a few more horses. Again, I greatly appreciate the info and want to know as much as I can about boat in order to both maintain and enjoy the boat without worry and your info had certainly helped !
Thanks Again Anthony !

Anthony, Thanks for much for all of the info and I would love to read your full article on the SC if you could send it to me. Draper79@yahoo.com
I took the boat back out yesterday and had the same issue but paid more attention to it. It basically limited itself to 6000 rpm for the first couple of minutes after launch but then reved all the way up to 8000 for the rest of the day and had no other issues. The boat came from Michigan and this could just be some residual oil in the chambers from winterizing or like someone else mentioned, the plugs themselves but I always welcome any other advice. I will certainly check the SC as you suggested earlier. If all of that checks out I would look to run it this season and then have it rebuilt this winter and possibly upgraded for a few more horses. Again, I greatly appreciate the info and want to know as much as I can about boat in order to both maintain and enjoy the boat without worry and your info had certainly helped !
Thanks Again Anthony !
My boat did the same. 6000 rpms is limp home mode. You should be getting a check engine light for the engine that is in limp mode. My issue was a temperature sensor in the air intake. It went from normal to intermittent to constant fault.

My boat did the same. 6000 rpms is limp home mode. You should be getting a check engine light for the engine that is in limp mode. My issue was a temperature sensor in the air intake. It went from normal to intermittent to constant fault.

You have twin engines, switch the air temperature sensors, if the problem switches engines, then viola. If you plan on doing this I can walk you through it. Takes about ten mins.

Thanks Again Anthony !

You are very welcome!! Hopefully you have received my email by now. But that definitely sounds odds and I'm not the best person to provide much help with that. If it runs fine after, then it seems alright and could possibly be a temp sensor, as @delonnelj mentioned. But, just to make sure, you have a the 2012 Challenger 210 S with the single SC engined, but 255hp? Or do you have the SE with the twin 215 SC engines? If you can find the temp sensor, or I can email you some instructions on how to do it, wouldn't hurt to clean it, maybe smog on it, and put it back.

With respect to upgrading the SC, would really advice against that. If it is the 255hp engine, you have the same engine block as mine, but with an even bigger SC. Keep in mind that naturally aspirated, that engine makes 155hp and your engine makes 100hp more, which is a lot! I'm sure the block could handle more boost, but you're talking about a turbine upgrade, with a bunch of other stuff, including bigger fuel injectors, fuel pumps, need to re-flash the ECM, get an aggressively pitched impeller, among others. I can tell you from experience to not mess with the ECM, I've had some super weird problematic issues with one of mine and it has been an utter frustration. But if you do want to upgrade your SC, and get more power, you'll be spending quite a bit for just a few mph gains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your boat's top speed stock is ~43mph? The twin N/A engine stop at 310hp, so 55hp increase, gives the boat a top speed of ~46mph. I have 430hp getting me to ~54mph, and that 8mph over the twin NA requires 120hp, or 175hp increase from your engine to gain ~11mph top end. It gets absurd how much power is needed for a few mph gains. Even if you upgrade the SC, and flash the ECM, you really have to get an aggressively pitched impeller. Otherwise, you'll end up hitting on the RPM limiter with the exact same performance as before. Your other option is, when refreshing the ECM, up the RPM limiter from 8K to ~9K RPM, but that can put a lot of stress on an engine, especially as boosted as yours.

I don't mean to deter you! I was thinking of the exact same thing, upgrading my engines to yours, but talking to the service manager at a dealer, she highly recommended I didn't, besides my ECM issues. And, more importantly fuel consumption. At top speed, I get like 1.7mpg, which is awful. Can go through my entire 44gal tank in under an hour at top speed. If I had upgraded to your engines, would be worse and I really wouldn't get much out of it.

But, if you do want some reasonable modifications, was told you can upgrade your intake grate for something that allows better water flow. It doesn't cost as much and you get noticeable performance, as i've been told. Trying to find an intake to upgrade too, that's where I'm struggling. But at the same time, my boat has been at the dealer for repairs for ~11 months now, so not really in a rush. And once I get it back (hopefully next week), I'm not messing with ECMs.

You are very welcome!! Hopefully you have received my email by now. But that definitely sounds odds and I'm not the best person to provide much help with that. If it runs fine after, then it seems alright and could possibly be a temp sensor, as @delonnelj mentioned. But, just to make sure, you have a the 2012 Challenger 210 S with the single SC engined, but 255hp? Or do you have the SE with the twin 215 SC engines? If you can find the temp sensor, or I can email you some instructions on how to do it, wouldn't hurt to clean it, maybe smog on it, and put it back.

With respect to upgrading the SC, would really advice against that. If it is the 255hp engine, you have the same engine block as mine, but with an even bigger SC. Keep in mind that naturally aspirated, that engine makes 155hp and your engine makes 100hp more, which is a lot! I'm sure the block could handle more boost, but you're talking about a turbine upgrade, with a bunch of other stuff, including bigger fuel injectors, fuel pumps, need to re-flash the ECM, get an aggressively pitched impeller, among others. I can tell you from experience to not mess with the ECM, I've had some super weird problematic issues with one of mine and it has been an utter frustration. But if you do want to upgrade your SC, and get more power, you'll be spending quite a bit for just a few mph gains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your boat's top speed stock is ~43mph? The twin N/A engine stop at 310hp, so 55hp increase, gives the boat a top speed of ~46mph. I have 430hp getting me to ~54mph, and that 8mph over the twin NA requires 120hp, or 175hp increase from your engine to gain ~11mph top end. It gets absurd how much power is needed for a few mph gains. Even if you upgrade the SC, and flash the ECM, you really have to get an aggressively pitched impeller. Otherwise, you'll end up hitting on the RPM limiter with the exact same performance as before. Your other option is, when refreshing the ECM, up the RPM limiter from 8K to ~9K RPM, but that can put a lot of stress on an engine, especially as boosted as yours.

I don't mean to deter you! I was thinking of the exact same thing, upgrading my engines to yours, but talking to the service manager at a dealer, she highly recommended I didn't, besides my ECM issues. And, more importantly fuel consumption. At top speed, I get like 1.7mpg, which is awful. Can go through my entire 44gal tank in under an hour at top speed. If I had upgraded to your engines, would be worse and I really wouldn't get much out of it.

But, if you do want some reasonable modifications, was told you can upgrade your intake grate for something that allows better water flow. It doesn't cost as much and you get noticeable performance, as i've been told. Trying to find an intake to upgrade too, that's where I'm struggling. But at the same time, my boat has been at the dealer for repairs for ~11 months now, so not really in a rush. And once I get it back (hopefully next week), I'm not messing with ECMs.

Thanks again Anthony, I did receive your email with the SC info and will be looking over that today. You are correct, I have the 210 Challenger S with the single 255hp SC Engine and honestly 43mph is plenty of speed especially after reading what you posted earlier. I am much more concerned with reliability and gas economy since the boat seems to have plenty of power. Would like to know how to check and clean/replace the sensor that (delonnelj) mentioned since that seems to be an issue. After that I would like to run it for the season and then have the SC rebuilt just for peace of mind. So yes any other help or advice is much welcomed and I can't think you all enough. Everyone on here has been great and I hope to contribute some info in the future.

You have twin engines, switch the air temperature sensors, if the problem switches engines, then viola. If you plan on doing this I can walk you through it. Takes about ten mins.

Thanks for the info delonnelj ! So yours would run low RPM for a few minutes and then go full throttle ? Either way I would definitely welcome more info on how to check, clean or replace the sensor as well as where to acquire one. My boat is the 210 Challenger S with a single 255hp SC Engine.

Thanks Again !

Thanks for the info delonnelj ! So yours would run low RPM for a few minutes and then go full throttle ? Either way I would definitely welcome more info on how to check, clean or replace the sensor as well as where to acquire one. My boat is the 210 Challenger S with a single 255hp SC Engine.

Thanks Again !
I was cruising around on Facebook live and caught the whole first ordeal. Because the problem was intermittent it was really hard for me at first to analyze it until it completely went out. It started off with the revs dropping down and then picking back up dropping down and picking back up, the drop down was 3 or 4000 RPM so instead of being at 8 they will go down to 6 or five and go back up to 8000. So that drive my boat almost every day it took about a week before the sensor finally just went out. The boat will go into limp home mode and I never noticed that because when you turn the key to turn the boat off it'll show it across the cluster but I never look at the cluster when I turn the boat off. What you could do is your ignition has three positions off accessory and then start position. So once you're driving on the boat for several minutes turn the key to the middle to accessory and look at the screen right away and it'll say it limp home mode.
I tested my spark plugs, my coil packs, my coolant temperature sensor, my fuel pump, my fuel pressure regulator, my fuel injectors, my superchargers their hoses, my intercooler, my computer's, tops solenoid, engine compression, oil, oil level and the throttle position sensor. They will all gone you similar problems, SIMILAR but there are very suddle differences.

I really hate to make such a long post but since you are wanting to know, I'll give more info.
If It was a leaky intercooler(ic) it would have put water in the Supercharger(SC) and would eventually fill the engine with water. It couldn't be the SC because the leak would likely keep the rpms for ever hitting Max, you can also feel or hear the air escaping. It would be quite the forceful event.

It very well could have been a fuel issue because of the limit, low fuel pressure and a clogged injector would have an errily similar issue but likely a catastrophic failure essentially blowing the engine cylinder after a few mins. The temperature sensor that went bad controls a part of the engines mapping for fuel and air.

Sparkplugs usually go bad completely so you would also have permanent power loss but it was an easy check since none of the Common symptoms are absolute.

I checked the TOPS unit just because, the tops unit is short for tip over prevention system Closes off oil when the engine is upside down.

Last edited:
I was cruising around on Facebook live and caught the whole first ordeal. Because the problem was in her mid it was really hard for me at first to analyze it until it completely went out. It started off with the revs dropping down and then picking back up dropping down and picking back up they probably drop down 3 or 4000 RPM so instead of being at 8 they will go down to 6 or five and go back up to 8000. So that drive my boat almost every day it took about a week before the sensor finally just went out. The boat will go into limp home mode and I never noticed that because when you turn the key to turn the boat off it'll show it across the cluster but I never look at the cluster when I turn the boat off. What you could do is your ignition has three positions off accessory and then start position. So once you're driving on the boat for several minutes turn the key to the middle to accessory and look at the screen right away and it'll say it limp home mode.
I tested my spark plugs, my coil packs, my coolant temperature sensor, my fuel pump, my fuel pressure regulator, my fuel injectors, my superchargers their hoses, my intercooler, my computer's, tops solenoid, engine compression, oil, oil level and the throttle position sensor. They will all gone you similar problems, SIMILAR but there are very suddle differences.

Sounds good, I will certainly check that out next time I'm and see what happens. I did find out today that the spark plugs were never changed out just inspected/cleaned so I will go ahead and change them this week to rule that out as well. Either way I appreciate your help and will keep you posted.
Thanks Again !

Also you can not clean the air temperature sensor. They hate water. Water usually makes them break. So if you have an internal intercooler a leak would break the sensor most likely. But over time the sensor can fail Because it works very hard. What the sensor does is measure the air temp and pressure in the air intake to determine how much fuel to spray. So as you can imagine it gets no beak while the engine is on.

Also you can not clean the air temperature sensor. They hate water. Water usually makes them break. So if you have an internal intercooler a leak would break the sensor most likely. But over time the sensor can fail Because it works very hard. What the sensor does is measure the air temp and pressure in the air intake to determine how much fuel to spray. So as you can imagine it gets no beak while the engine is on.

How hard is the sensor to replace ? Cost ?

The cost was 30 dollars. It took 5 mins
e4b83293fd382841ef060225d4696211.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back