2011 Challenger 180 Tower recommendations?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a machinist but they turned out alright. I used a 1/4 bit first, the half, then 5/8ths bc I don’t think I got the holes perfectly centered so o gave myself a little wiggle room

Attachments

• 60D910AC-894D-4B6D-B47A-AF304DD2D32F.jpeg
    60D910AC-894D-4B6D-B47A-AF304DD2D32F.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 57
Got it up last weekend; took some time and extra fitting. Ended up needing 4” of spacers at the rear and longer mounting bolts. Also, i can’t fold forward because I can’t get it low enough to clear the garage. So I fold it to the rear...but then I can barely fit in garage without it sitting on my workbench. I rigged a harness from my ceiling so it’s not completely flat, just rearward enough to be below ceiling and I can still walk under. It’s super solid and I’m really happy with the functionality of it, but the folding part took a bit to learn. I have to loosen all four bolts and the two on the top crossbar, pop the two front bolts and fold back. I also have to watch the racks so they don’t hit the stern (just wrap a towel rag on each). I can get it out of the garage and back up in about 10-15 mins. I’m sure I’ll get faster but the angles and radius of the boat make this type of mounting tougher than it should be. I think the MTK with the HEIM joints would make it much easier since those joints give you movement on all three axis when raising/lowering. If I had to do it again, I’d pay more for the MTK. Oh well, live and learn. We did kneeboard and wakeboard behind it, the boys climb and hang on it, and it really looks great, so I’d rate the tower 8/10 and my approach 6/10.

Attachments

• EFB81251-1FCC-4D46-9104-6D84783EF7F6.jpeg
    EFB81251-1FCC-4D46-9104-6D84783EF7F6.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 55
  • CC30FC4B-5EDE-42D9-8BAA-62FEA60F5D4D.jpeg
    CC30FC4B-5EDE-42D9-8BAA-62FEA60F5D4D.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 50
  • B67D0280-5468-4F87-8D51-1FFC60FC6F7A.jpeg
    B67D0280-5468-4F87-8D51-1FFC60FC6F7A.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 53
  • E4F4819A-2490-4AB0-BEE7-DBA37A3124AC.jpeg
    E4F4819A-2490-4AB0-BEE7-DBA37A3124AC.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 58
I REALLY like where yours is positioned…a bit envious ;). I noticed your back mounting parts are quite a bit longer than the front. Did you have to have them made or were they in the kit? I can’t recall now since I didnt do the install. I havent pulled anybody just yet…forgot the life jackets and the water is too cold in Northern Michigan so maybe in a week or so. My grandson who is quite heavy for his age was dangling from the tower with a rope swinging back and forth (yeah, I know…kids)…I figured that had a small sign of its strength. I’m disappointed that it is such a fiasco to lower it…that is one of the largest reasons I bought this one…so I feel like we were “oversold.” Hey nice looking boat by the way!
Congratulations….

thanks
Go back a few posts; I had to make my own extensions out of bar stock to compensate for the radius at the rear. If you could mount topside and inline, it would fold just fine. But not how we have it and not with our boats. I might mess around with it when I have more time to see how to make it easier, but for now just enjoying it. Going on Lake Michigan today so I’d rather be on the water than I’m the driveway!

Guys, I will be installing my Indy tower very soon. Was hoping to have this done sooner with pics, but my daughters track season went much longer than expected and then a 10 day trip to Yellowstone. So now it has my full focus. Expect to start drilling tomorrow.

Thank you both for the pics. They are very helpful.

Guys, I will be installing my Indy tower very soon. Was hoping to have this done sooner with pics, but my daughters track season went much longer than expected and then a 10 day trip to Yellowstone. So now it has my full focus. Expect to start drilling tomorrow.

Thank you both for the pics. They are very helpful.
Where are you going to mount it?

Roughly the same area you mounted yours. However i think I am going to mount the front leg on top and the back leg on the sides. Only issue will be figuring out the cover.

Roughly the same area you mounted yours. However i think I am going to mount the front leg on top and the back leg on the sides. Only issue will be figuring out the cover.
Make sure you test fit it a bunch to get the angles correct else you’ll run in to what I did with the spacers needed. In my mind, your mount may tilt the tower rearwards so it will be more upright instead of with a forward rake. If you have someone who can help hold it in place or rig something to suspend it from a garage or workshop ceiling, I would highly recommend. Good luck!

Make sure you test fit it a bunch to get the angles correct else you’ll run in to what I did with the spacers needed. In my mind, your mount may tilt the tower rearwards so it will be more upright instead of with a forward rake. If you have someone who can help hold it in place or rig something to suspend it from a garage or workshop ceiling, I would highly recommend. Good luck!
Thank you for the tip. I am not married to a location as of yet, but that was my intention. Perhaps side mounts for both is the way to go? I will fool with it several times to get it right. The significant curve at the back on the Challenger creates some issues that I had not expected.

Correct. Both of us will have to take all four out and then just set it down on the boat. See pic for comparison: inline (top mount), opposed (side mount). In the pics, lowering would be the upright moving away/forward.
Hello !
I got the same boat but a MTK monster to put on. Starting to rehearse every step, I found really valuable things in your thread for my mounting sequence...! thanks a lot. I plan to put it in the same location but I still don't know if I will have to reinforce depending on the thickness of the hull at this place.
Did you reinforce it in place ? and if so what kind of sealant did you use ? as epoxy does not always blend with polymerised polyesther fiber glass (and is our hull made of epoxy ? I doubt it considering the cost) and not sure it is worth spending time on a cosmetic thickening with no strength added. would you have picture of your finished installation also ?

regards

Hello !
I got the same boat but a MTK monster to put on. Starting to rehearse every step, I found really valuable things in your thread for my mounting sequence...! thanks a lot. I plan to put it in the same location but I still don't know if I will have to reinforce depending on the thickness of the hull at this place.
Did you reinforce it in place ? and if so what kind of sealant did you use ? as epoxy does not always blend with polymerised polyesther fiber glass (and is our hull made of epoxy ? I doubt it considering the cost) and not sure it is worth spending time on a cosmetic thickening with no strength added. would you have picture of your finished installation also ?

regards
You should not have to reinforce the front leg that is being attached to the top rail, as long as you are far enough ahead. Those rails were already reinforced about 75% of the way (just depends on how far forward you go). The back legs will need some reinforcing as the fiberglass is a little thinner back there. But any reinforcement you can give it will only help.

I have thought long and hard about it and I have decided to purchase an MTK tower as well. Only issue is that they are out of stock and the wait is fairly lengthy. I am going to put my Indy tower up for sale. I really like the look, etc... but just do not want to mount it further up or to make mods. I am just so freakin picky, so I want it to look a certain way.

You should not have to reinforce the front leg that is being attached to the top rail, as long as you are far enough ahead. Those rails were already reinforced about 75% of the way (just depends on how far forward you go). The back legs will need some reinforcing as the fiberglass is a little thinner back there. But any reinforcement you can give it will only help.

I have thought long and hard about it and I have decided to purchase an MTK tower as well. Only issue is that they are out of stock and the wait is fairly lengthy. I am going to put my Indy tower up for sale. I really like the look, etc... but just do not want to mount it further up or to make mods. I am just so freakin picky, so I want it to look a certain way.
thanks a lot for your answer, I will place it on rear position, at the beginning of the rear bow (like on one of the pictures you posted of others) front tower attach ont the top and back tower attach on lateral side...I'll try to see if i am still on reinforced area by measuring after drilling...

Well I finally got behind the tower…my wife pulled me on a slolum ski a couple of days ago…what I noticed is that I think I come up out of the water a little easier which is nice. Also I noticed a “slinging” feeling when i came back across the wake from throwing a rooster tail….that was unexpected and I almost fell on my face lol. My adult son went wakeboarding shorty thereafter and I told him i noticed something different but didnt tell him as I wanted to see if he experienced the same thing and when he was done I asked him about how it felt and he pretty much described the same thing. Pulling tubes was a cinch…way easier not having to deal with ropes hitting the water on turns. Now I’m really glad I made the investment!

Well I finally got behind the tower…my wife pulled me on a slolum ski a couple of days ago…what I noticed is that I think I come up out of the water a little easier which is nice. Also I noticed a “slinging” feeling when i came back across the wake from throwing a rooster tail….that was unexpected and I almost fell on my face lol. My adult son went wakeboarding shorty thereafter and I told him i noticed something different but didnt tell him as I wanted to see if he experienced the same thing and when he was done I asked him about how it felt and he pretty much described the same thing. Pulling tubes was a cinch…way easier not having to deal with ropes hitting the water on turns. Now I’m really glad I made the investment!
Were you using the same rope for skiing and wakeboarding?

Yes..is that a bad thing? I did by this bungee extension rope that adds 5-6 feet in length because the tower ate probably 8 feet and I wanted a little more distance. I like the bungee effect so far.

I think your tower is simply magnifying an effect that was already there. I think the height of the rope, leverage on the boat hull/listing/center of mass, have all changed. I personally cannot wakeboard with a ski rope and vice verse. This will explain ropes a little better: https://www.wakehouse.com/waterski-ropes-vs-wakeboard-ropes
I would definitely get rid of any bungee or stretchy rope addition. If you add length to either wake or ski rope best to go with no stretch at least on the extension. It’s fun to experiment too. Try different ropes and lengths and find what you like

Finally got my Indy tower put on my 2010 Challenger. Thanks a ton to LionOnaBeach for the pics and info you posted…they were an enormous help!! Had to use two spacers on the back, one on each side (ordered off eBay and had a local machine shop cut them to size for $25). The knuckle was a huge help (found on Origin tower website) as you’ll see in pics. Also had to pick up some M12 -120mm length bolts for the back from Fastenal. Use ropes, or whatever means necessary for help. My daughter gave me some help on one of the days to get the ropes up, but for the most part I did it by myself. I would strongly suggest having help, but I am too independent to ask for help.

Sidenote: I did try to order a Monster tower, but they were on major back-order because of the covid non-sense. So I just decided to stick with the Indy. Feels pretty sturdy, so I am happy.

IMG_5072[1].JPGIMG_5066.JPGIMG_5067[1].JPGIMG_5043[1].JPGIMG_5070[1].JPGIMG_5069.JPGIMG_5062[1].JPGIMG_5063[1].JPGIMG_5053[1].JPGIMG_5074[1].PNG

Last edited:
Man that looks great and you are welcome btw. I dont have much say in the manner in which mine was done because I hired it out (I’m not smart enough, skilled enough to try to attempt something like this…know your limits lol). I remember when I dropped it off at the seadoo dealer telling the guy where I wanted it (towards the back). He gave me this look like yeah we know what we’re doing..and being a trusting person I went with his experience. When I picked it up he had put it more in the middle of the boat and side mount. I was fine with the side mount because I have a custom snap on cover that cost me nearly $1000 and I didnt want that messed with. The middle looks kinda funny to me but hey it works fine. The only problem I have with its position is that each time i pull into my boat lift, given the tower sits on the side and at the widest point of the boat, it hits my boat lift and its kinda clunky get on and off the lift. It is what it is…I’m really glad I have the tower it has really come in handy and I like how it feels when I’m boarding or slaloming behind it. As the primary driver of the boat it sure makes it easier to pull people especially on tubes. Oh..so when you’re out on the lake and you see someone with a nice tower, be careful how you compliment them. I was out sailing with my wife and as we were turning near a boat that had a nice tower…i said to the people (2 teenage girls with a dude) “nice rack.” Honestly meant to say tower…well yeah I got that look of disgust from those poor kids lol.

Man that looks great and you are welcome btw. I dont have much say in the manner in which mine was done because I hired it out (I’m not smart enough, skilled enough to try to attempt something like this…know your limits lol). I remember when I dropped it off at the seadoo dealer telling the guy where I wanted it (towards the back). He gave me this look like yeah we know what we’re doing..and being a trusting person I went with his experience. When I picked it up he had put it more in the middle of the boat and side mount. I was fine with the side mount because I have a custom snap on cover that cost me nearly $1000 and I didnt want that messed with. The middle looks kinda funny to me but hey it works fine. The only problem I have with its position is that each time i pull into my boat lift, given the tower sits on the side and at the widest point of the boat, it hits my boat lift and its kinda clunky get on and off the lift. It is what it is…I’m really glad I have the tower it has really come in handy and I like how it feels when I’m boarding or slaloming behind it. As the primary driver of the boat it sure makes it easier to pull people especially on tubes. Oh..so when you’re out on the lake and you see someone with a nice tower, be careful how you compliment them. I was out sailing with my wife and as we were turning near a boat that had a nice tower…i said to the people (2 teenage girls with a dude) “nice rack.” Honestly meant to say tower…well yeah I got that look of disgust from those poor kids lol.
The location of your tower is excellent for maintaining your cover (in the pics you posted on the first page of the thread). I really like the look of mine, but I do have to make some mods to my covers. Good thing is I have a friend that owns a tent and awning business, so they will be putting a new snap in together for me soon. So far feels pretty solid...no wiggles, shakes, etc... We'll see once we get her out on the water.

Also, thank you for your post and pics as well. Every piece of information in this thread was helpful.

how has the tower worked with tubes? Just curious. Most research I have done suggest not to use the tower for tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back