2010 RXT-X Shaft Failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRae99

Hello,

I have a 2010 RXT-X with about 75 hours on it (I know, I barely use it). This week after hearing a "shrieking" sound at idle and weak power forward. I was towed in to shore and took it to my local dealer. He discovered a fair bit of water in the hull (carbon seal?) and upon starting it on the trailer noticed the sound, which quickly went away. It turns out the splines on the prop shaft have stripped, requiring a new shaft and related parts (about $1,500.00CAD). I've read elsewhere that this part was a flawed design but that there my be other issues that are contributing to failure (engine alignment, pump mounting, etc.).

I'm a bit lost. Does anyone have direct experience with this failure and a fix that will last? I'm coming up on 100 hours which will necessitate a supercharger overhaul (another $1,500.00) and don't want to face another shaft repair after that.

The dealer has indicated that he is going to try and get some help from Sea Doo on the repair cost. I won't hold my breath though. The funny thing is that my low hours have put me at a disadvantage. I bought this Sea Doo in a promotion with a one year warranty and 4 years B.E.S.T. added to it no charge (expired in May 2015). If I'd put more hours on it, it would have failed last summer while it was still under warranty.

I'm considering just trading the unit in on a new one.

Thoughts? :)

PS This is my 3rd Sea Doo since 2003

1. 2003 GTX 185 HP - engine fault at 11 hours, traded at the end of the season when the dealer could find the problem quickly
2. 2004 GTX 185 HP - no problems through 2010, traded at the beginning of the 2010 season
3. RXT-X 260 HP - current ride with damaged driveshaft

I have a 2010 RXT-X also with low hours, 48. I was only cruising about 35 when my did the "shrieking" sound and then settled down into the water with no power forward...... I was towed to the dock and took it to a dealer in Portland OR, 120 miles away. It set there for almost 4 weeks when I finally went and picked it up and decided I would fix it they were 30 days back log with other work. After a lot of reading on the internet I may have chopped off more then I should have since finding out a lot of issue with the 2010 RXT-X 260. I have purchased all the tools and most of the parts, still waiting for the Shaft and new impeller. I have spent about $800 us $. My quote from the dealer was $1560. So hopefully I will be able to get it up and going again.

The shaft does seem to be a weak link. I have read, but yet to confirm, that an updated shaft is available.

The shaft does seem to be a weak link. I have read, but yet to confirm, that an updated shaft is available.

Yes there are going back to the older shaft which does not have the same issue of being weak. Best way to know is does not have a rubber coating on it.

Fixed within 30 hours of the shaft failure at the dealership for around $1,560.00 (CAD). Got it back in time for the long weekend. It is running fine now but still has a strange chattering sound when cruising at speed on flat water or under deceleration from speed. In addition, at 80 hours, this Sea Doo is scheduled for a SC overhaul at 100 hours at a cost of $1,500.00. As soon as the details on the 2016 new models are released I'll be trading this unit in. Too much to go wrong (going into year 6) and I'd rather just give $7,000 to the dealer for a new one all at one time then over several years at $1,500.00/year. Thats the way I look at it anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back