2010 RXT 215 (Electrical) Start Issues - SOLVED

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbojrod

Howdy folks. This is my first post here.

I recently picked up a pair of 50 hour-ish 2010 RXT215's.
First thing I did is install new batteries (now kept on tenders) and a fresh tank (~12 gallons) of 89 oct gasoline in both.
Also did an oil/filter change and supercharger rebuild (early at 50 hours, but figured it was time due to age ~12 yrs).
Pulled the valve cover to clean and inspect. Old oil seemed clean and the inside of the valve cover looked just fine.
Replaced plugs with New NGK spark plugs (old plugs looked excellent - could have re-used).
Also inspected all hoses, connectors, and cleaned/wiped down everything I could get my hands on.

Ski "A" starts and idles. Gives me hope this one is ok to go in the water soon.
Ski "B" seems to have more of a "history" even though they are within an hour of each other. It will not crank on its own.

I hear the two beeps, press start and hear a click (relay). Then the display goes blank or resets.
No matter what sequence it goes through, it wont go beyond the relay click.
Sometimes it will display "check engine" and the check engine light flashes before power goes off almost immediately after.
Other times it will display "Limp Home Mode". Then within a second, power goes off.
Seems very strange and not repeatable in any order.

I have jumped across the starter solenoid and the starter cranks very strongly without hesitation. Gives me some hope the engine isn't toast (along with clean old oil/plugs).

Swapped the solenoid from "A" to "B" and still behaves the same. No crank on its own, display dies quickly.

Any thoughts to try before giving up and taking it in?

Thanks in advance!

Any ideas???
Checked grounds on block, they are good.
Checked ECU connectors, appear fine.

Could it be a bad ECU?

Switch the batteries, just in case. Then try the 30 amp relay in the fuse box. If that’s not it find a service manual for your ski. The start circuitry is pretty simple it will be in the service manual. You have all the parts on hand.

Last edited:
Thanks! I did consider those items also.
I’ve tried switching batteries and relays (both the small one in the fuse box and the large one that hooks to the battery cables/positive). I have even replaced the starter relay/solenoid with a new factory part on both skis to be safe.

My biggest obstacle is the power won’t stay on more than a second or two regardless of what I do. It’ll say limp home mode or check engine if I try to start within that 2 seconds. Or the clusters reset themselves, but never staying on for longer than a second or two. If I do nothing, the power just cuts off. Hard to diagnose anything that way. Doesn’t allow enough time to scroll through menus/settings. I also replaced the set/mode button module, as the old one felt stuck/unresponsive.

I read a post somewhere from a Seadoo boat owner having a similar issue and it turned out to be the ECU. Starting to think that may be the issue.

Previous owner was not gentle with these things despite the relatively low hours. Would not surprise me if they tried to jump start this thing with an auto/truck and cooked the ECU?

Did you trade the start stop switches they can cause your symptoms, the dess post is also in the that circuit. Find all the grounds and trace wires for corrosion. Could be the ECU but you want to rule out everything else first.

On this model the Start/Stop is a single switch. It appears to function as far as I can tell/test with the low duration of power on. I struggle testing the DESS post as the power dies/resets quickly - but could/would it cause the display to shut off in 2 seconds and display Limp Home Mode if it were faulty? Seems like a bigger fault. I wish that were the case as that is a cheaper/easier repair than an ECU.

I did check all of the grounds at the engine block. Not a single sign of corrosion - they were super clean! When I ohm out the battery ground cable to the engine hoist hook I get a perfect 0.0 ohm reading.

Appreciate you providing these ideas!

The start stop switch can stick closed confusing the ECM which then shuts everything down. The ECM monitors electrical faults which will cause the limp home mode.

Gotcha. That was part of my ‘reasoning’ for replacing the Mode/Set switch module as it appeared to be sticking/non-responsive.

The start/stop switch does appear to function though (not stick and respond/contact when pressed). I poked it with my meter leads and it does seem to close when pressed. I also hear the starter relay click when I press it. However power dies immediately after or the display resets itself and everything starts all over.

Good ol’ gremlins, I guess…

Update for anyone who may encounter similar bugs.

It was the DESS post.

Easy $45 dollar and 15 minute fix.
Ski fires up/idles/throttles, etc.

Thanks skiasylum for your suggestions and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back