2010 GTX 260 cam chain broke. Worth fixing?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LCYrace

Picked up a non-running 2010 GTX IS 260 Limited real cheap with a nice Triton trailer. 158 hours. Pretty weathered but mostly complete. Verified cam chain is broken and wedged in the case and the cam is stuck. I would assume this repair requires engine removal. Can the engine be removed without removing the upper deck? And is it really worth fixing in the first place? Not sure I want to drop $3500-4000 on a motor if its only gonna last 150 hours. Might just dump it for parts, keep the trailer and find a nice GTX 951 I know I can work on. Any suggestions or tips?

Removing the upper deck isn't difficult. BRP even put out a video on it. I've rebuilt several of these and once the deck is off it is actually very easy to work on. The engine will need to come out and torn down. If the ski is in decent shape, I rebuild them. Parting them out and listing/selling parts is more work for me than rebuilding. I typically have around $2k in full rebuilds but I have lots of parts available. The IS models don't sell as well but they do ride nicely and there is a market for them. The SC models should last at least 400-500 hours but depends on many factors and maintenance.

Back