2010 180 Challenger - mod options

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-uk

Hi Guys

I just purchased a new 2010 180 Challenger with the 215 hp motor

ive looked through the forums and cant find the information i want.

is the pump the same as the sit downs such as the RXP? hence meaning the Grate, Ride Plate and impeller will be the same?

also, im guessing the motor is the exactly the same so engine mods and options for the 215 RXP will be interchangeable?

interested to get as much info as i can

thanks

Well, your question got my curiosity, so I did some part look-ups. I couldn't see a 215HP RXP in 2010, so I looked up a GTX. I saw that many parts are the same, such as the wear ring, impeller shaft, impeller boot, impeller cover. However, the impeller itself is a different part number. I suspect that this is because the pitch is very likely to be different between a PWC and a boat.

The part numbers on the riding plate and grate were different as well. This could very well be due to a difference in hulls.

This goes along with your expectation that Sea-Doo would be virtually re-using these motors between the PWCs and the boats, but there are certainly a number of parts that have to be different.

thanks man

im thinking the engine mods available will be the same, although doing any mods seems to void any warranty

at some point tho i think for sure a skat impeller would be a wise choice

i dont think any one is making the ride plates and grates for these, need time i see a rxp or gtx i may stick my head under the hull and take some measurements

I was wondering the same !!!

Well, your question got my curiosity, so I did some part look-ups. I couldn't see a 215HP RXP in 2010, so I looked up a GTX. I saw that many parts are the same, such as the wear ring, impeller shaft, impeller boot, impeller cover. However, the impeller itself is a different part number. I suspect that this is because the pitch is very likely to be different between a PWC and a boat.

The part numbers on the riding plate and grate were different as well. This could very well be due to a difference in hulls.

This goes along with your expectation that Sea-Doo would be virtually re-using these motors between the PWCs and the boats, but there are certainly a number of parts that have to be different.

I am buying a 2007 215 hp challenger and I want to add just alittle hp so it will be comparable to the 255hp model. Any suggestions on what the cheapest wAy to gain 20 or 30 plus hp? I'm sure the engine is the same as the jetskis. Please give me advice asap. Thank u inadvance! I have already called riva motorsports and they told me that parts from jetskis might work but they don't test them on boats because there is no market for them!

I would think it would be cheapest and easist to just find the boat with the 255HP to begin with.

that wasnt an option, there are no 255hp challengers, new or used, available around here, they have been selling like hot cakes.

plus there is a $4000+ difference between the two and to be honest my buddy has a 255hp, the difference in the stock performance is not that different, im not looking at doing mods right now to the motor but i want to explore my options

motor size is a seperate issue to any pump mods too, modifying the pump with a plate/grate/impeller/wedge or whatever will give superior handling which will actually allow more of the potential from the motor

in theory it shouldnt as brp are a canadian company, but we have had some hot weather recently and the challenger has been selling in huge numbers, the local dealers looked around for me but couldnt guarentee when they could get me a 255hp .. they had a 215hp in inventory and were willing to work a deal

I'm not sure how the fact that BRP is a Canadian company had anything to do with finding prior-year models (new or used). Either they are available or not. If anything, I would think that there are less boats in Canada where the opportunity to use them (and the population) is much lower than in the US, particularly in warm-weather locations of the south.

That said, the natural inclination is to expect the 255 to be a better choice for power. 20% more HP would lead one to think that would be noticeable. It may or may not be, I haven't ridden in both.

I probably would have gone for the 255 when I was looking but a great opportunity came up on an '08, so I took it. An '09 would have cost me $7K more. There aren't enough differences for that kind of money. But that doesn't mean an owner wouldn't be willing to spend some of that savings on some performance upgrades.

For our challengers, the options may be more limited, and probably will never come near the 40HP difference of the two motors. But an impeller change, an air intake kit and possibly an intercooler kit may provide enough boost to make up for it.

I've been talking with the guys at pwcmuscle.com about what options are available. My goal isn't so much increased top speed as off-the-line (out of the hole) performance, maybe faster recovery from the slow-down in turns. I'm about to test pulling 3 riders on an inflatable with 5 in the boat this weekend, so how it performs will help me decide what to do.

I'm not sure how the fact that BRP is a Canadian company had anything to do with finding prior-year models (new or used). Either they are available or not. If anything, I would think that there are less boats in Canada where the opportunity to use them (and the population) is much lower than in the US, particularly in warm-weather locations of the south.

That said, the natural inclination is to expect the 255 to be a better choice for power. 20% more HP would lead one to think that would be noticeable. It may or may not be, I haven't ridden in both.

I probably would have gone for the 255 when I was looking but a great opportunity came up on an '08, so I took it. An '09 would have cost me $7K more. There aren't enough differences for that kind of money. But that doesn't mean an owner wouldn't be willing to spend some of that savings on some performance upgrades.

For our challengers, the options may be more limited, and probably will never come near the 40HP difference of the two motors. But an impeller change, an air intake kit and possibly an intercooler kit may provide enough boost to make up for it.

I've been talking with the guys at pwcmuscle.com about what options are available. My goal isn't so much increased top speed as off-the-line (out of the hole) performance, maybe faster recovery from the slow-down in turns. I'm about to test pulling 3 riders on an inflatable with 5 in the boat this weekend, so how it performs will help me decide what to do.

I have rode in both the 215 and the 255 model and you can definatly tell the difference. I am a bigger guy 6'6 275pounds.. a friend has the 2010 sea doo challenger 180 215 and it did pull a guy my size on a tub but it did struggle the first 3-5 seconds. Also the top end speed with me,wife, buddy and his wife topped out around 43-45 depending on lake conditions and gas in the boat. When i got mine i got the 2010 255hp and you can tell the difference when i'm being pulled on the tube immedialty.. also you can tell the difference when you turn it doesnt lose as much power or you have more power in the reserve to maintain speed or close to it. Also the topend speed is with the same people in the boat is 52-55mph. When me and my buddy race i am usually about half a boat to a boat length ahead of him in the first 5-10 seconds and then when he tops out in the 40's i leave him.. IT IS VERY NOTICIBLE..

Well, with 20% more power, I would have hoped/expected there to be a difference. I understand hull improvements helped the power loss in the turn. Being that the '08 I picked up is more of an interim boat for us, I don't mind what I gave up for the money saved. I have a 2010 210 Wake on my dream list. If I can pick one of those up as new "old stock" or as gently used when they are a couple of model years old (at a nice savings), then I'll be upgrading! :-D

my buddy has a 2008 255 se model, we are planning to meet on the lake to compare

i think mine currently tops at around 45mph, we were getting 53-55mph on his

in the turns they both reacte the same in power loss, for the tight turns its definately down to how you control the throttle

i spoke to my dealer and hes telling me any engine or pump mods will void warranty, so either leave alone or make it so its easy to remove prior to any warranty claim

there are a number of kits around for the engines, but they tend to include grates and plates for the related rxp/rxt/gtx

i need to spend some more time studying the engine and how it sits in the engine compartment to work out the best bang for the buck mods

i plan on keeping the boat for a while so i have time

actually ive been looking at wake towers too

my dealer said that teh monster towers dont look good on these models, ive seen them on and disagree, but seems like access to fit them could be a pain

he was pushing the BRP OEM tower which i understand why at 3x the price, and personally i think it doesnt look as good or sturdy, but then any tower will only be as good as the installation and strength at the mounting points

when i picked up my boat they didnt have th e bimini, i picked it up yesterday and fitted it myself last night... wow.. what a flimsy thing, i cant believe they want to charge $650 cdn for that unit, i looks like something that should cost $150 max

Steve, Riva doesn't have support for any Sport Boat with their mods. What you can do, however, is compare part numbers.

Check out seadoowarehouse.com and look to see what parts have the same part number between the sport boat and the pwc. This will give a pretty good idea if the performance part will come close to fitting.

I have read that the main difference between the 215HP and 255HP motors is that the supercharger has a different compressor wheel, which runs slightly higher boost. Is this true? Of course the ECU fuel/ignition mapping would have to be different to reflect the increased airflow as well. Possibly you could get an ECU and supercharger from a newer boat and install those for increased horsepower/performance but with factory parts.

I have a 2010 210 Wake on my dream list. :-D

You and I both!

Yes, this and different ecu and injectors and a few other things.

This is why a stage 2 kit is so popular for the 215 engine...it's about as far as you can go without getting into very custom stuff.

wow... thats a lot less in price

so does the rear exhaust need to be ran with these?

not that it looks too hard to do

Has anyone used this little ad on and how did it do? It clAims 15% hp improvement. It's very cheap I think 60 dollars or so. Let me know if it works even if it adds 10hp that's not bad. Here is the link. http://iphone.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=160411533209&sv=215 seadoo performance&emvcc=0

that looks intersting, i need to read up more on what its doing, seems to be all about the fuel/oil mixture, so basically its running the boat leaner, which, so long as it isnt too lean, would definately give a gain, but if that ratio is wrong and it leans out the motor then there is big problems, and 15hp gain... seems very optimistic

i would have thought one of the easiest mods would be to modify the cdi to change the rev limiter, similar to on other jet ski engines like yamahas and kawasakis using MSD enhancers

This site contains eBay affiliate links for which Sea-Doo Forum may be compensated.
Wow if that chip works that would be awesome. I have a 2005 challenger 215hp and me and my husband were trying to get a little more out of it. I wonder if anyone has tried it??? It seems too good to be true, it might cause more damage than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back