2008 Speedster 150 storage hatch is craking the instrument housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDoo Fan

2008 Speedster 150 storage hatch is cracking the instrument housing

This post is a word of warning and one possible solution to the problem. I think most people on the forum know that the storage hatch gas strut mechanism is a poor design. The storage hatch can slam shut really hard. So word of warning: Hold the hatch as it closes all the way. My hatch has been slammed shut quit a few times by passengers. Well the silver instrument housing that the stainless steel latch is bolted to has finally cracked. See the attached photos. A new housing is over $500. Ouch! The back side of the instrument housing has an aluminum plate to spread upward forces, but as you know there is no plate on the top side. I decided to make a plate for the top of the instrument housing. I ordered 2" stainless steel from McMaster Carr. I then cut a plate and drilled it to match the hole pattern of the instrument housing and back plate. I also made plastic "gaskets" from a milk jug. Hope this post saves new Speedster owners from having their instrument housing crack.

Crack1.jpgCrack2.jpgCrack3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened to me too. I got some stainless brackets as well and sandwhich'd them on top and underneath to reinforce the cracked plastic. Seems to be holding up ok. My storage lid also cracked the instrument / dash panel. I replaced the OEM strut with a genuine one and it's rubbish too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back