2008 RXP 215 - Relay / DESS Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeadooLake

We have an 08' RXP which I picked up as a "Project Ski" knowing it would need some work. Previous Owner didn't know much about it, but his "Friends" would come help to fix it. Initially I put a New Battery in and it would crank over, but not start. I check for spark it was intermittent, and the fuel injectors were not opening. I disconnected A & B connectors off the ECM and and re connected and the Fuel Injectors were now active. but still no start. When the key is placed on the DESS Post I would get the welcoming 2 beeps, then one long beep.

I noticed quickly that if I took the key off the DESS Post, I could still crank the motor which was odd, but again no start. Thinking the main power relay was the issue, I pulled it off and found the previous owner wired pins 85 & 86 together, and pins 87 & 30 together. I swapped out the Power Relay with a new one, and now the ski is completely un responsive. Any suggestions on how to get this ski to power back up? Thank You

Attachments

• ry-232_bottom.jpg
    ry-232_bottom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 6
I would suspect that the DESS post is bad. I believe the way the relay was wired it allowed it to crank over but since the computer can’t read the key chip it won’t start. There is a procedure for checking the DESS post in the shop manual which is available online. If it’s a three wire DESS post you can disconnect it at the plug and on the jet ski wire harness side of that plug place a jumper between the black and black/yellow wire. If you hear the relay within the ECU actuate and your display comes to life then the DESS post is definitely bad.

Thank You, great suggestion. It's a 4 wire, and I was just able to test it and according to the manual and it's bad. Now I wait for the part to come in. The issue is I don't have a display, so it's make it more of a challenge and don't want to drop $800 if I can get it running. Thanks again I appreciate the info

It will not run without a display. The ECU expects a display to be there. The first thing it checks for when it is powered up is the display.

by the way, it will not start without a display…period. Do not expect it to start without a display. Won’t happen

Not only do you have to have a display for it to run but it has to be flashed to your model ski and then it has to be married to your ECU. It will crank over all day long but will not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back