2008 - Lagging 3 to 4 times on turnover before engaging throttle to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyT

My 2008 GTI SE 155 - When starting, I hold down the start button and my pwc is lagging 3, 4, or 5 times, until I give it some extra "juice" with the throttle. Then the pwc turns on and stays on fine until I kill the power, then experience the same result when attempting to start again after running the pwc. The more I start the pwc, the weaker the starting becomes and eventually it will not start and I have to recharge my batteries. I went out and bought a new battery, and it had the same result. I charged the old battery and tested the load (which was fine), both batteries currently work and have the same result. The interesting point is, the black/negative ground connection wire becomes "very hot" when starting at the location where it is connected to the battery. The red/positive wire connection does NOT get hot. I assume the black/negative ground connection wire is going bad and needs to be replaced? My next assumption would be the solenoid has gone bad and the black/negative ground wire is compensating and taking on too much voltage? Please let me know if you have any ideas here or further steps to test.

Thanks,
SAM

You may want to resistance test the battery cables. If they have excess resistance as they get hotter they will create more resistance and cause slower crank. Is that what you are experiencing a slower crank? If it is cranking fast and not starting without applying throttle then there is something else going on as well and you may need to check things like fuel pressure, compression, spark. If you are having extended periods of cranking it will cause the cables to get hot some regardless. Check the connections as well.

What is the best way to resistance test the battery cables? - I have a multi meter but am learning to use.
I am experiencing a 3, 4, or 5 slower cranks and it will not turn over until throttle pressure is applied for a crank or two usually.
How would you suggest checking 1) fuel pressure 2) compression 3) I assume just checking the spark plugs color here.
What do you suggest for checking the connections? - I have a multi meter, what setting am I checking on and what voltage am I looking to find for a standard?

I'd pull that black (negative) cable and look for corrosion at attachment points, both ends. also look closely for corrosion underneath insulation.

Also, make sure the connectors at each end of the ground cable are clean and firmly connected to their terminations.

What is the best way to resistance test the battery cables? - I have a multi meter but am learning to use.
How would you suggest checking 1) fuel pressure 2) compression 3) I assume just checking the spark plugs color here.
What do you suggest for checking the connections? - I have a multi meter, what setting am I checking on and what voltage am I looking to find for a standard?

Google is your friend. To test resistance you use the ohm setting. Compare them to each other i don't know a measurement to give you off the top of my head. Check the connections first. It sounds like you are pretty green you may need to find someone to assist or bring it to a mechanic.

I would say your starter is dragging causing a high amperage draw, take it out and have it tested. There are also a lot of issues with the solenoid failing from high current draws, but that would not cause heated cables. A bad cable could also cause the symptom, maybe remove it and have someone test it before looking at the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back