2007 Speedster Starting Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having an issue with my 2007 Speedster. I can start it and run it in my garage for 3-4 seconds with no issue. It fires right up. I went to the lake a few weeks ago and after driving the boat for about 20 min and than hanging out on the beach, it had huge issues starting. It would turn over but it wouldn't fire. Having little boating/engine experience, I came home and bought 2 new Optima Blue batteries. The boat started right up in the garage. Took it to the lake and had the same issue. After driving it for 15-20 and then stopping, I had the same problem trying to get it started. It would turn over but not fire. I brought it back home and bought a new starter and a new solenoid. Fired right up in the garage. Took it to the lake today and had the same exact thing happen after running it. I'm not really sure to go from here. I'm assuming since I've replaced everything on the electrical side, it may have to be fuel related. I'm looking on the next items to try and troubleshoot. Fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil? Does anyone have any suggestions on where else I should be looking?

Thanks

Hi Bandit,
Check out the link below. I had equal issues with my Utopia 4-tec and it turned out it was a leaking injector. Your problem sounds equal for me. Once you were driving your intake manifold get flooded from the gas and it will not fire up the flooded cylinder. Since this 4-tec have only 3 cylinders the two left once are not good enough to keep the crankshaft rotating. Pull the whole injector bank and check the injectors if one or more are leaking. Actually one is enough to have this issues.
Have a nice day and regards from the rainy South-West Germany
Ingo
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?78731-Utopia-205-2x155hp-Rotax-engine-is-hard-to-start

Thank you guys for your feedback. So here's what I've done. I read the shop manual and I removed the fuel rail. I placed it over a bucked, I attached the DESS and I can hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds. I waited 3-4 min and not a single drop of fuel came out of the injectors. I seen ID62 said he pressurized the fuel line and one of the injectors started spraying. I'm not sure if the test I just did proves the fuel injectors are good, or they they operate properly once they heat up. If there's a different test I should try, please let me know.

There's no check engine light and once the engine is started, everything runs perfect. after sitting for a little bit after driving it for a while, it sounds like it cranks fine the first time and then each time is a little bit less cranking power. Then all the sudden, it will start. Sometimes it's 5 tries, sometimes it's 50 tries. I'm not very good about turning on the blower before I start it so I will definitely start doing that. Just trying to rule out everything I can as the lake is an hour drive each way.

I had a problem with the same symptoms. Crank would be slower and slower/not start, when warm. Turned out the starters were wearing out. When they are warm, internal components expand, and cause resistance. Replaced and never had the problem again...

When i followed the positive cable to the starter engine, the end of the cable was melted from the massive amount of amps it was pulling to turn the starter, when hot. Replaced all power cables to battery, as well...

The other issue that will cause that is hydrolock, as mentioned above. That happens when your exhaust manifold is shot and steam builds up from the j-pipe, causing a hydrolock, which is resistant to your starter. If you remove your j-pipe and look into the manifold with a flashlight, there should be NO rust. If its degraded in there, that mey be the problem, instead of the starters.

Seems like I read a thread awhile back of someone with a boat that wouldn't hot start due to fumes or lack of fresh air in the engine compartment. Might be worth a shot to pop the engine compartment next time you park it.

I've read through everything and appreciate the feedback. I'll definately be turning on the blower each time before starting it to see if that helps. I'd like to check everything possible before going back out. I removed the fuel rail and pointed the injectors towards a bucket. When I put the key on, I can hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds. Should there be fuel coming out of the injectors during that 2 seconds? I did not see any come out. ID62 mentioned he pressurized the fuel line to find his leaky injector. I've looked through the shop manual and online and could to find any instructions on how to pressurize the fuel line. Still looking for advice. Thanks

Hi Banditgrrr,
The procedure is described in the maintenance manual on page 204. But it's quite simple, just pressurize the fuel rail and check it for two minutes. One drop per minute is still within the allowed range. Actually mine leaked a lot and it was very obviously that the injector was a fault one. Yours may leaking only when hot or only by random. Mine did it by random initially but later very often. This was the problem which leaded me to change battery cables, solenoid and as well the starter. Unfortunately a leaking injector isn't recognized from the EMS. You can clean the injectors quite simple. There are some nice videos on YouTube. Just take care to have the power on the injectors not longer than 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back