2007 Challenger 180 ride plate re-seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asecilop

I have been going through my boat trying to work out cavitation issues and decided to reseal the ride plate. I looked over the forum and did not see a write up on doing it so I figured I would write it up. Also I would love to get some feedback and pictures on how your boat's ride plate is sealed.

I noticed when I bought the boat a couple years ago, that there was sealant everywhere seeping out of the connections. I gather work was done before and they went crazy with it.

Steps for removal:

Drain coolant - remove drain plug from ride plate.

Disconnect the intake and outlet hoses inside the hull. This required using an 8mm(if I remember correctly) socket on the hose retaining strap. The below picture shows the hose pulled off the hose fitting.
126.jpg

The hose on the starboard side was a bit more difficult to maneuver to and remove. I ended up removing the exhaust baffle (I believe that's what it is called) and the large rubber hose that was located directly next to the hose I was trying to remove. In the picture the baffle(large hollow black plastic piece) is gone, but was where my tools are sitting in the picture.
127.jpg

Next remove the hose fitting: in my case they both had black sealant/gasket material mounded around it. I took a box cutter to slice away and a pair of needle nose pliers to get the rest off the fitting. Then I used a pair of adjustable pliers and carefully unscrewed the fitting (standard loosen and tighten directions).
Here is the fitting by itself and the hole that was left over.
128.jpg

129.jpg

One thing to note is that the threaded piece the fitting screws into is not fixed and moves a bit. At first I thought I broke it but after I was done I noticed it was designed that way.

Next remove intake grate from underneath the boat. I believe there were four bolts to remove.

Then remove the six bolts from the ride plate. I used an impact driver for this. Two bolts came out no problem. The other four just spun. I went into the hull and removed the gunk off the end of the remaining bolts and found they had a nut and washer on that end. I haven't a clue if this is the standard design or if a previous owner added that. I ended up placing a 13mm socket wrench on the inside while going underneath and unscrewing. The remaining bolts came out.

130.jpg

This left me with prying off the ride plate. The manual indicates to use a bottle jack between the hull and ride plate. It also indicates to remove the jet drive. In my case I really did not want to remove as much so I just unbolted the reverse gate and Venturi (same four bolts) and left the impeller portion attached. I used a wide board with a towel over it as my top block to protect the hull from the jack end. I also used clamps (reversed the heads to spread) and started to extend the jack slowly, each time giving the tension a moment to release the old sealant. It came off fairly quickly and easily. Here is a pic of the setup.

131.jpg

Once the ride plate was off I drained the last bit of coolant out of it and removed the o-rings off the threads where I previously removed the hose fittings from.
132.jpg

133.jpg

That's where I'm at. I need to clean the boat and the ride plate of the old gasket material and fix some gel coat that came off with the gasket before applying the new instant gasket.

Nothing new. I'm hoping some others with same boat can give some insight on how theirs are sealed. I've still got to clean it up but when I do I will post more on it. Thanks.

How about a photo of the boat where the ride plate goes?? More curious than anything.

Yeah. Funny enough I worked on it today. The epoxy was cured for the gelcoat spots so I smoothed them out with sandpaper and a Dremel tool. After looking at it I did instant gasket as directed in the manual. I used spare wood to jam between the trailer frame and the ride plate to snug it against the hull while I got the bolts put back on. Added back the coolant hose fittings. Also sealed and installed the inlet grate cover per the manual. I still have to install the Venturi and reverse bucket back on.

While I had the reverse bucket and Venturi off I went ahead and cleaned them up and gave them a fresh paint job. Cleaned up the sacrificial anodes (didn't paint , just cleaned off the corrosion). Same for the inlet grate.

I've been out with the boat since the re-seal. I think it gave me a couple mph extra. I need to replace my wear ring after the summer is over to see if that helps my cavitation.

CSager- good luck on the re-seal.

Jeffrt- I used a plastic scraper to help get the majority off and then soap and water with at foam sponge that had an abrasive mesh cover on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back