2006 Wake 155 Bogging down on trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vwmusky1963

Hello,

New to the forum, but heard lots of good things. Have an 06' wake edition that is currently giving me fits. Bought it for my wife this past March had 60 hours when we bought it, but since, the cluster has faded and become unreadable. Problems with beeping started to occur in April. It would give one long beep just after starting, then would give that same long beep about every 10 minutes (the beeping did not cause any perforamnce problems). Took it to a small local mechanic to see if there were any codes thrown. He did not detect any trouble codeswith his buds software, but the beeps were going in patterns and running rampid while he was running test (sounded like close encounters of the third kind). We also checked the MPEM at this time (no problems). After googling the symptoms, I bought and installed a new DESS post , start switch and beeeper. Unfotunately it did not fix the beep problem. We continued to ride through April & most of May with no performance problems. Over the Memorial day weekend we towed it down to Key West for fun in the sun. For the first two days - no problems (except long beep every 10 minutes) & having to clear the ride plate of seaweed we sucked up several times. On the third day, the ski powered down by itself in the gulf #4&*. We waited a minute or so, and it started right back up. We hit the throttle, but it took a while to get up on plane. I though - More seaweed, so I shut it down dove in to clead ride plate except no - seaweed or any other obstruction. Started back up, hit throttle, and again hard to plane. Headed straight for the shore. Rode okay, but struggling for power. Finally got back to the boat ramp, and pulled it out of water. While cleaning and flushing on the trailer at the ramp, I pulled the seats,fired it up, and hit the throttle - clearly bogging down $%&#.

Once back home. I called the seadoo dealership & explained the the issues. They made an appointment to bring it it (one week out on service). Two weeks passed and no call from dealer. Called then and of course got the run around. They called me back the next day and told me that the problem was that I needed a new wear ring, and that the beeps were caused fom a bad cluster not comunicati ng withe the computer. I asked them if they they looked at the bogging down issue, and of couse they hadn't! He called back the next day and told me that they could not detect a bogging issue, and the the throttle response was good. He quoted me $1,600 to replace cluster and wear ring and that it would take about two weeks. I declined and $163.00 later I was towing it home. I bought the wear ring, o-rings, and impeller removal tools and changed the wear ring myself. Once done I fire it up, and immediately noticed a quieter chatter from the rear end. I hit the throttle slowly, then went 3/4 & ---- you guessed it --=- bogging down. After a few choice words, I shut it off and checked again, & again & again with the same result. I then removed the pump assemly once again to double check that I had done everything correct - All was correct!!! Fired it up, hit the thottle & same thing --- bogging down and 3/4 & full throttle. I called the dealer and gave them a piece of my mind, they still contend that it was not bogging down when the checked it =- I beg to differ because I don't think they checked it since they already diagnosed a wear ring. Plus I noticed that my coolant bottle was completely empty. I check all of my fluid levels prior to bringing it to the dealer, so I know tey wear full. I whole heartedly think that the dealer did this on purpose! All of you probable know the reason they would do such a thing!! So if your in the Jacksonville Florida area, do not use "Powersports of Jacksonville" they are idiots & crooks.....

I'm not an idiot when it comes to regular auto mechanics, but I am no PWC mechanic. So far I have pulled the fuel pump, checked its operation, and cleaned the fuel filter (Both appear to functioning fine). I also pulled the plugs, and they looked like they are burning normal. I will replace the plugs, and pull the fuel rail & injectors to inspect and clean (dont know if they're cleanable). Not sure what else I should start trouble shooting - maybe - coil packs ---not sure -- Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would the bad cluster be causing the bogging down because it may be in limp mode? I can't see anything on the gauges so I'm blind to any codes? I also disconnected the gauge cluster thinking that it would solve the communication issue, it it did nothing for the bogging at 3/4 to full throttle. Please comment & help!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I tried it after every potential fix (i.e. after filling with coolant, after cleaning fuel pump, after cleaning fuel filter, and after cleaning the plugs. Still no fix yet. I picked up plugs at lunch today, so I will change them out when I get home.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the ski starts right up & runs at idle just fine (no skips, misfires, or hesitations).

Okay - So I looked at the tech manual under the troubleshooting:

Symptom: "Engine Lacks Acceleration or Power":
Possible Causes:
1) Weak Spark - Replaced spark plugs & checked spark against screwdriver - good to go!
2) Throttle does not open fully - Checked throttle - no problems
3) Low compression - All cylinders read 130 psi
4) Water in fuel - Checked tank when I had fuel pump out - no water
5) Impeller leading edge damaged - checked impeller when I changed wear ring - didn't look new , but it was not damaged
6) Intake restrictions: - no restrictions
7) Too much engine oil - oil is 1/2 way between lines - not too much.
8) Poor fuel quality - I use shell 89 octane with octane booster - good gas
9) Clogged fuel injectors - Could be an issue, I don't know how to clean them, but wouldnt it idle rough if injectors were bad or dirty?
10)Low fuel pressure - Do I need a special pressure checker for this?
11)Incorrect TPS adjustment - I do not know how to check this or adjust.
12)Improper timing chain alignment - Dont know how it could go out alignment or how to check this.
13)Overheated engine - Not the case here - acts the same whether cold or hot.
14)Limp Home Mode Activated - How would I know this? It was at the dealer, so they would have detected it & told,or deactivated it right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back