2006 Sea Doo Challenger 180 impeller upgrade...need assistance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ride plate is on the left? I am at a pub so there's a reasonable possibility I'm looking at this wrong haha.

Actually, it makes no difference. Rotate that bushing.
I will rotate it and see if it helps.

By the way, the photo is shot looking up towards the nozzle so right is the exit and left is the ride plate.

One more question, I have heard that these boats cannot sit docked for a certain period of time because they let in a lot of water. Can they sit docked overnight?

One more question, I have heard that these boats cannot sit docked for a certain period of time because they let in a lot of water. Can they sit docked overnight?

They shouldn't let in any water when not running. The carbon seal will weep a little to keep it cool during operation. There have been many here who keep they're boat moored all season with no issues.

Overnight shouldn't be an issue unless you have an active leak. Do make sure your auto bilge is working just in case.

C9R0J0, I was looking through some threads about adding a 2nd battery, and I read that you have a Blue Seas Sys. Do you have a photo of your battery setup?

I think I saw that JPass and Kernal also have two batteries. I am trying to visualize and get ideas =)

I think I saw that JPass and Kernal also have two batteries. I am trying to visualize and get ideas =)

I do not have dual batteries currently, but I did just install a fresh dual purpose battery a couple of months ago. We run a stock stereo and usually get blown out of the water by other, louder systems when hanging at the sandbar.

In the event we want to play music for hours, we use our portable JBL BT speaker.

I do not have dual batteries currently, but I did just install a fresh dual purpose battery a couple of months ago. We run a stock stereo and usually get blown out of the water by other, louder systems when hanging at the sandbar.

In the event we want to play music for hours, we use our portable JBL BT speaker.

Alright, I thought I read that you had a two battery system. I have a rather large amp and good speakers and i do not want it to drain my battery.

Alright, I thought I read that you had a two battery system. I have a rather large amp and good speakers and i do not want it to drain my battery.

Probably wouldn't hurt to add a second battery if you have the time and money.

Probably wouldn't hurt to add a second battery if you have the time and money.
That is what I am thinking. I do have a voltage monitor that is connected to the battery through an on/off switch located next to my stereo deck. I have not seen it drop below 12V even after about two hours of playing unless I have it cranked up high.

C9R0J0, I was looking through some threads about adding a 2nd battery, and I read that you have a Blue Seas Sys. Do you have a photo of your battery setup?

I don't have any pics and I'm away from the boat at the moment.

I removed the ICS and put the second battery where that was mounted. I bolted a piece of plastic to the hull using the same bolts/holes as the ICS mechanism and then screwed the battery box to the sheet of plastic. As far as the wiring is concerned, I pretty much did exactly what Blue Sea has in their diagram, with the exception of the negative on the new battery. Instead of running it to the negative bus bar, I ran it to the existing battery. I used Blue Sea terminal fuses for circuit protection to the ACR. I didn't use the start isolation feature, but it would be easy to do. I havn't added a switch on the ACR ground as recommended for storage yet, but I likely will.

I don't have any pics and I'm away from the boat at the moment.

I removed the ICS and put the second battery where that was mounted. I bolted a piece of plastic to the hull using the same bolts/holes as the ICS mechanism and then screwed the battery box to the sheet of plastic. As far as the wiring is concerned, I pretty much did exactly what Blue Sea has in their diagram, with the exception of the negative on the new battery. Instead of running it to the negative bus bar, I ran it to the existing battery. I used Blue Sea terminal fuses for circuit protection to the ACR. I didn't use the start isolation feature, but it would be easy to do. I havn't added a switch on the ACR ground as recommended for storage yet, but I likely will.
Would love to see the set-up. I have no need for the ics and that seems like beauty space to use!

Actually, it makes no difference. Rotate that bushing.

Hi C9R0J0 - so swapping the bushing around helped a lot. I did not think it would make that big of difference, but the spray out the back was greatly reduced and so was the "porpoising."

Thanks again!

I have a 06 Challenger and pretty sure the impleller and wear ring need replaced. I’m thinking of doing it my self, I too could only find videos of skis and not boats for the replacement. I’d be trying to do the work with the boat on the trailer at the lake so no workbench or vice to hold the unit. Am I crazy for thinking about this?

I have a 06 Challenger and pretty sure the impleller and wear ring need replaced. I’m thinking of doing it my self, I too could only find videos of skis and not boats for the replacement. I’d be trying to do the work with the boat on the trailer at the lake so no workbench or vice to hold the unit. Am I crazy for thinking about this?

Hi Guyy,

The work itself is not very difficult and I do not think you need to be mechanic. Now regarding changing the impeller while it is on the trailer I can't see how you will be able to do that. I removed the jet pump housing assembly and used a vice with the spline tool and a breaker bar with the 12mm hex to loosen the impeller. It was torqued down extremely tight.

By the way, the video on YouTube of the wear ring removal is almost identical to the same as the boat.

Last edited:
Hi Guyy,

The work itself is not very difficult and I do not think you need to be mechanic. Now regarding changing the impeller while it is on the trailer I can't see how you will be able to do that. I removed the jet pump housing assembly and used a vice with the spline tool and a breaker bar with the 5/8 hex to loosen the impeller. It was torqued down extremely tight.

By the way, the video on YouTube of the wear ring removal is almost identical to the same as the boat.
I planned on removing the jet pump first while it was on the trailer. :)

Anyone ever bought one of the shop manuals for a Challenger? I see some people selling them on ebay, just wondering what the quality is.

I planned on removing the jet pump first while it was on the trailer. :)

Anyone ever bought one of the shop manuals for a Challenger? I see some people selling them on ebay, just wondering what the quality is.

When I was a premium member on this website I was able to download the 2006 Sea Doo Challenger shop manual. I believe the membership cost $10 per month.

That's not crazy at all. I've never timed myself, but I'm sure it's less than 30min to change the impeller. You'll need the impeller tool and something to hold it with. A vise is obviously what it's designed to be used with, but you could probably make due without. 2 guys and a large wrench for example should work. It's torqued to 59 foot-pounds and pretty hard to break loose. I've always had a vise near by when I've done it. You'll need a 12mm hex socket for this procedure as well. Everything else is standard stuff you likey have in your tool box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back