2006 RXT HELP NEEDED - Engine RPM Drop & Oil Leaking inside compartment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckwheat

On my last trip out on the river, my 2006 RXT ran a bit rough. It started quickly but the RPMs fluctuated on it's own a bit. When I throttled up, it bogged down a bit, then cleared a bit, then bagged down again. In general I would describe it as intermittent smooth, and then rough running. I thought it was just some old California fuel in the lines and that it would clear up eventually when the newer gas replaced what was in the system. It didn't clear up and when I throttled up it only reached about 40-45 mph. It used to top out at in the high 60's.
I eventually decided something was wrong and had a friend tow me back the the launch ramp about 1/2 mile away. When I pulled the boat out and opened the drain plugs, a couple of drops of engine oil dripped on the ground. When I looked inside the engine compartment, there was a small amount of oil thrown around the inside of the hull near the back of the engine on the exhaust system side. This was new to me. There were no engine codes or warnings seen.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined and would be comfortable in working on this outdoors myself if it only involved removing and replacing parts, but will probably take it to the only dealership in town to have it repaired. I do not have access to a garage or engine hoist.
Would anyone like to comment on what I might be facing or suggest things I could do?
I did have the supercharger rebuilt once in 2011. I was led to believe that they replaced some washers with better materials that would not fail like the originals did.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

Google for the how to, but check your supercharger. Sounds like it lost a bearing. This not only causes a massive loss of power but shreds the oil seal in it and it sucks large amounts of oil out of the motor and blows it into the intake. The rotor in it will have rattled around inside the housing and eventually can cut right through it.. Easy to check, pull inlet hose to SC, reach in and see if the blade inside can be spun by fingers, if it can it has to come off.

Sounds like you need to change your spark plugs. The intermittent running rough and then smooth is exactly how they fail. You have to rebuild your sc every 100 hours, not just once and forget it.

Change the plugs as 4-tecs LOVE their plugs. Is the engine oil over full by chance?

If you dropped about 20 mph that is the normal loss if the SC is bad. How many hours in the SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back