2006 or 2008

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Broosedamoose67

Premium Member
Premium Member
So I'm looking at a couple machines and would like some opinions. One is a 2006 RXT 215 with 75 hours, supercharger was rebuilt 10 hours ago, has a new wear ring and Solas prop. Comes with a trailer and two matching life vests. He's asking $6k. The other is a 2008 RXT 215 with 150 hours. Also comes with a trailer and he's asking $5,500. I'm leaning more towards the 2006 because the supercharger has been rebuilt so I shouldn't have to worry about it for another 100 hours unless it develops an issue. The only problem is he has no paperwork to back up the work that's been done. The $6k is a little high but I could probably get him down to $5,500. I'm just a little nervous about the rebuild before the 100 hour mark and no paperwork. What do y'all think?

There is a big risk on the 2006 with a rebuilt sc since it came with ceramic washers. Many times the sc will fail and the ceramic washers break apart and the owner won't spend the money/time to tear the engine down to clean out the washers properly and just rebuild the sc. They then put it up for sale knowing it is a ticking time bomb that may last 3 hours or 15 but it will fail and the engine will be destroyed.
The 2008 most likely did not have the ceramic washers from the factory as it was an early 2008 changeover. The 2008 also has the better valves. The 2008 electrical system is better that doesn't use the old mpem style. A lot of improvements from 2006 to 2008 makes the decision easier for my recommendation.

There is a big risk on the 2006 with a rebuilt sc since it came with ceramic washers. Many times the sc will fail and the ceramic washers break apart and the owner won't spend the money/time to tear the engine down to clean out the washers properly and just rebuild the sc. They then put it up for sale knowing it is a ticking time bomb that may last 3 hours or 15 but it will fail and the engine will be destroyed.
The 2008 most likely did not have the ceramic washers from the factory as it was an early 2008 changeover. The 2008 also has the better valves. The 2008 electrical system is better that doesn't use the old mpem style. A lot of improvements from 2006 to 2008 makes the decision easier for my recommendation.
I was actually just reading about the ceramic washers and how they would explode. Maybe that's what happened and why he had to get it rebuilt. The 2008 seems like the better option at this point. From what I've read a rebuild cost around $500-$600. If I use the fact that it should have been rebuilt at 100 hours and so needs to be done, I can get him down to $5k and just have it gone through and rebuilt.

Seadoo also started the MPEM to ECM transition in 2006 and by 2008 it was mostly completed. Electrically the 2008 is a better ski.

So I've had the opportunity to see both of these skis now. The 2006 has a couple small nicks in the gelcoat but nothing major. It has 76 hours on it. The guy said it had 67 hours on it when he bought it and just had it gone through for peace of mind. Nothing failed. All work was done by an authorise shop so the SC would have been rebuilt using newer parts, probably steel washers. He doesn't have the receipt but feels he could probably call the place and get a copy of the invoice showing the work that was done. He bought it in the fall of 2022 and had everything done for the 2023 season. Fall of 2023 he had the oil and plugs changed, compression checked (Ithink he said all were around 145-150 psi but I could be wrong) and winterized. So the SC only has 11 hours on it. The 2008 is very clean with a few minor scratches. The guy says it was serviced by the previouse owner around the 100 hour mark but doesn't know what all was done. He bought the ski with 129 hours on it and it now has 151 hours. He changed the oil and plugs when he bought it and again in the Fall of 2023 before winterizing it. He has no records of any maintenance done. So, are the electronics so significantly better in the 2008 that it compensates for the lack of maintenance records and the need to rebuild soon? The 2006 is firm at $6K and the 2008 will do $5K so there is a grand to play with. If I get the 2008, use it as it is for the 2024 season, send it in to be gone through and rebuilt over the winter, it sounds like I'd end up with a better ski in the end.

You need to ride whatever ski you buy and make sure it reaches 68mph and 8000+ rpms.
If you buy and ride the 2008 this season without rebuilding the sc if it's never been rebuilt, I'd say there is a really good chance it will not last the entire year and you will be pulling the engine and spending lots of money with no ski to ride.

You need to ride whatever ski you buy and make sure it reaches 68mph and 8000+ rpms.
If you buy and ride the 2008 this season without rebuilding the sc if it's never been rebuilt, I'd say there is a really good chance it will not last the entire year and you will be pulling the engine and spending lots of money with no ski to ride.
I plan on bringing it in to a dealer to have it checked over. I was told they can check the SC for slip tolerance or something like that? Should I just go ahead and see if they can do it before the season starts? I don't want to end up in a situation like I did with the 2002 GTX I bought last year that turned out to need an expensive rebuild! That's why I'm trying to get as much advice before I purchase one.

Well, I went and looked at the 2008 and it was in awful condition! The gelcoat up front was all cracked, the hull was scraped up badly, anything aluminum was covered in corrosion, when he started it up there was a very pronounced rattling sound and it turned out to have 173 hours on it. Needless to say I walked away from that one. Unfortunately the 2006 was sold. However, a 2009 GTI SE-155 popped up in todays search. One owner, he has done all maintenance himself other than changing the wear ring in 2021, new coils-plugs & oil in the Fall, 2020 aluminum trailer, 124 hours and it's super clean. Comes with a fairly new cover, three keys (2 regular and 1 slow) and a water tite front storage bin. He's asking $6,900.

Wow, that's a pretty high price for a 2009 GTI. You should be able to get a 2012+ with ibr for that money. What part of the country are you in?

The rattling sound was probably the pump and pretty normal for all seadoos.

Wow, that's a pretty high price for a 2009 GTI. You should be able to get a 2012+ with ibr for that money. What part of the country are you in?

The rattling sound was probably the pump and pretty normal for all seadoos.
I live in SE Massachusettes. I checked the price on JD Powers and it came up with $5,930 (I know it's not acurate but it's a ballpark figure). I talked to my mechanic and he said $5,800 would be a fair price with the trailer. I went and looked at it and it is in excellent condition. The guy is the original owner and said it's only seen saltwater twice. He's done the maintenance on it himself. The trailer looks brand new and is really nice. I've been looking every day for almost two months now and it's just what they are going for around here. The 2006 and 2008 I was just looking at were in the same price range and both needed work done. This ski needs nothing. I saw a 2013 Seadoo rxp 260 supercharged that was listed for $6,500 but needs a new IBR system! Just a bad time of year to be buying a ski and with a limited budget I can't expect much. I'm going to offer him $6K and see if he will take it. It's a good ski that isn't going to give me headaches.

Back