2006 GTI filled with Diesel Fuel ... arggghhh ... few questions.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMANN06

So my cousin filled the gti with diesel. She rode the ski around till it shit the bed. I was going to pop the fuel rail off and take the injectors out and use my candoo scanner to activate fuel pump and pump all the diesel into a large jerry can. After that I was just going to clean the gas tank and fuel system with seafoam and replace the fuel filter. Either than what I mentioned above and changing spark plugs is there anything else I should be aware of? I've never really had to deal with this problem before ...

Thanks!!

Damn that's nuts. Wish I was more helpful other than saying daaayyyyuummmm. At least you know how to rebuild it. :lol:

It will be just fine. I've seen it a lot on cars and bikes. I can't say the same when people put gas in a diesel though.

That hurts! But it may well be ok. It should act a lot like having water in the fuel. Just not burn well and stall. But a lot of it depends on circumstances and how hard she was riding the ski at the time. Do you know any of the symptoms when it died? Honestly it sounds like you're on track. Clean everything out good. Run new fuel through the rail and injectors, change the plugs and see if it fires. My gut tells me it'll fire up and run like normal.

Thanks for the replies guys ... This ski is either on the lift or at wot ... Ill get at it tommorrow and let yah know.

A female cousin huh? Why isnt it ever a distant male cousin you dont like?

Ok..the fuel system must be pumped and purged, then flushed with clean gas. Now diesel will readily mix with gasoline, so trace amounts that avoid the purge will be blended in when you begin the restart.
Plugs must be replaced, they likley shorted internally trying to burn the diesel.
Do a compression check.
A clean tank is priority one. The problem here is that diesel is blended to easily burn by compression ignition, and gasoline is blended to resist compression ignition, so when you get it started keep the power down to try and keep the knocking and pinging to a minimum.
Since this is a water cooled exhaust system, the external manifold will be running cooler and have less pressure, and my thinking is that will work in your favor.
A while back I watched a mobile mechanic who was hired to clean out a site superintendants gas truck that had diesel put in it. His plan was to try and keep the residual unspent diesel from igniting in the exhaust manifold (high heat and pressure)

Hope this helps

Thanks Door, yah it's actually my wifey's cousin, (which would be my cousin in law?) ...

Anyways guys do I need to replace the fuel filter after cleaning out tank and fuel system? It's looks like a real pain to get the fuel pump out ...

Why did I sell this ski to a relative ...

Attachments

• FacePalm.gif
    FacePalm.gif
    945 bytes · Views: 87
Thanks Door, yah it's actually my wifey's cousin, (which would be my cousin in law?) ...

Anyways guys do I need to replace the fuel filter after cleaning out tank and fuel system? It's looks like a real pain to get the fuel pump out ...

Why did I sell this ski to a relative ...

I would say an emphatic yes on the filter. Might get away without doing it after some serious flushing but I would think it would take some doing. Why not have a new one in there just for best practice? And man you should have known not to sell anything to a relative. It always come back to you if there's a problem. It's call the Lifetime Next-of-Kin Warranty!

Thanks chucked, ended up going lazy route. Emptied tank with flo n go, pulled injector #3 off just kept reseating lanyard and pumping fuel into a bottle till she starting smelling like gas. Changed plugs filled it with high test and voila! Little smokey for a min or two but now running just fine!

Glad all is fine...

Diesel into a gas tank is not too bad,,,, Gas into a diesel tank in considerably worse...

That depends on how much gas. If the weather is going to be -0 or lower I add a gal of gas to 15 gal of diesel in my VW diesels. That way if fires right up just like summertime since I'm too lazy to plug it in :) I've been doing it in my 86 golf since new and it has a little over 350,000 original miles and still pulls 441 psi for compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back