2005 RXT 215 Blown up now rebuilding need advise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You absolutely need a shop manual to reassemble the engine , follow it exactly. It also describes what tools you will need to have to put it back together properly. It gives the torque and or the rotation of bolts and which ones you can reuse. I would recommend using forged pistons , any are better than factory pistons , new timing chain ,the rest can be factory parts.
Ok thanks for the good advise. So much to deal with and i just want my ski on the water

If the cylinders are within spec for diameter, roundness and taper, then they don't need to be bored, just honed to break the glaze. If they are out of spec, then the bore size is determined by what pistons will be put in.
The machine shop i took it too also specializes on outboards and race outboards like bridge port and pro max motors so i have a good feeling about this place.

I suggest you ask your shop if the cylinders need to be either honed or bored.

If they can be honed, you can use the same size piston you have. They should determine the diameter for honing by measuring the actual piston which will be installed in it.

If they have to be bored, they should tell you what size piston to buy and they should determine the bore size for the proper fit.

Keep in mind piston rings need to be selected based upon the diameter piston you use. Oversize pistons need oversized rings.

I suggest you ask your shop if the cylinders need to be either honed or bored.

If they can be honed, you can use the same size piston you have. They should determine the diameter for honing by measuring the actual piston which will be installed in it.

If they have to be bored, they should tell you what size piston to buy and they should determine the bore size for the proper fit.

Keep in mind piston rings need to be selected based upon the diameter piston you use. Oversize pistons need oversized rings.
Are stock sea doo pistons forged or cast

All the supercharged engines use forged pistons, the NA engines use cast pistons and higher compression

I reuse stock pistons all the time if they are in excellent condition. I will even reuse rings if they are on low hour machines and in like new condition.

I'm guessing if you look closely you will be able to see the cross hatch on the cylinders. Very rarely is there enough wear that requires boring. You need a bore gauge to measure the cylinders, calipers just won't work but I get that it gets you in the ball park. All the piston/cylinder specs can be found in the manual and the machine shop will need this info. The majority of the time, most engines with less than 300 hours only require a hone and are good to go.

I would replace all bearings since they are not expensive. You will end up with an engine that runs like new for many years. The bearing wear is not bad and minimal scoring. Overall, I'd say you lucked out and that motor is going to be fine.

I would still check the journals on the head for the camshaft since this scoring is not repairable. I would also get all new valves and have the machine shop assemble the head for you.

It doesn't look like this motor had ceramics going through it so should be good to go.

I reuse stock pistons all the time if they are in excellent condition. I will even reuse rings if they are on low hour machines and in like new condition.

I'm guessing if you look closely you will be able to see the cross hatch on the cylinders. Very rarely is there enough wear that requires boring. You need a bore gauge to measure the cylinders, calipers just won't work but I get that it gets you in the ball park. All the piston/cylinder specs can be found in the manual and the machine shop will need this info. The majority of the time, most engines with less than 300 hours only require a hone and are good to go.

I would replace all bearings since they are not expensive. You will end up with an engine that runs like new for many years. The bearing wear is not bad and minimal scoring. Overall, I'd say you lucked out and that motor is going to be fine.

I would still check the journals on the head for the camshaft since this scoring is not repairable. I would also get all new valves and have the machine shop assemble the head for you.

It doesn't look like this motor had ceramics going through it so should be good to go.
The ski has 260 hours on it. That's what the guy said at the machine shop said, just a light bore. I can see the cross hatches now although very slight. I was super excited to have this jet ski then it busted so just want to make sure I'm doing what I can on the beer budget. He also said that they were nice pistons told me they were forged.

Question I have is
Should I just re use with new rings?
Should I get new wrist pins?
Would I have to pull out wrist pins and measure them to get new ones ?
What kind timing chain do you think WSM or what?

I'm going to take the head apart and see how it looks found a refurbished head for 500 but have to ad my rockers and new rocker bolts. Maybe I will look in to see how much it would cost by me to rebuild the head I have.

Have you seen a thread on this forum that talks about what bolts I could re use ? I know it says it in the manual but don't have one yet.

If you have not made up your mind, ask him his opinion on reusing the pistons. If you buy new pistons, they often come with new pins. If the pins are pressed into the rods, have him install them.

If you reuse your piston's ask him for his opinion on the pins. He may be able to tell you by checking play in the pistons without having to take measurements.

I would install new rings even if you reuse the pistons. Not a lot of money.

Ask him for his opinion on your head. A rebuild head may have had cracks and been welded (may not be reliable). If yours is good, I would have him rebuild it. I have rebuild auto heads just by lapping new valves but they do not run at 7K+ RPM.

You will have to buy specialty tools to reassemble the engine such as ring and valve spring compressors, torque wrenches, possibly tools to align timing chain. If he has them you may want to ask him to reassemble the block and heads.

Can not help you on anything else. I have rebuild many car engines but not Sea Doo Engines. I always bought major brand name parts only. If you use aftermarket, suggest you ask other for their opinion as you are doing. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you have not made up your mind, ask him his opinion on reusing the pistons. If you buy new pistons, they often come with new pins. If the pins are pressed into the rods, have him install them.

If you reuse your piston's ask him for his opinion on the pins. He may be able to tell you by checking play in the pistons without having to take measurements.

I would install new rings even if you reuse the pistons. Not a lot of money.

Ask him for his opinion on your head. A rebuild head may have had cracks and been welded (may not be reliable). If yours is good, I would have him rebuild it. I have rebuild auto heads just by lapping new valves but they do not run at 7K+ RPM.

You will have to buy specialty tools to reassemble the engine such as ring and valve spring compressors, torque wrenches, possibly tools to align timing chain. If he has them you may want to ask him to reassemble the block and heads.

Can not help you on anything else. I have rebuild many car engines but not Sea Doo Engines. I always bought major brand name parts only. If you use aftermarket, suggest you ask other for their opinion as you are doing. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help

If the cylinders are within spec for diameter, roundness and taper, then they don't need to be bored, just honed to break the glaze. If they are out of spec, then the bore size is determined by what pistons will be put in.

Tear the engine down and remove all the debris left over from ceramic washer failure and replace all the bad parts.
What do you think of the cam shaft,? Would you re use this cam shaft > were the rockers are rollong on the cam shaft it has 1/2 blue color to it. Did not find and dust or ceramic material in the head looks like maybe just the timing chain. But I have not pulled the valves apart yet. thanks for the help by the way.

Attachments

• 20220731_203444.jpg
    20220731_203444.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220731_203453.jpg
    20220731_203453.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back