2005 RXP Supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superneil018

Im looking to buy one of these .. My first adventure into 4 stroke.. Everyone give me their opinions.. I know they are fast.. Do they whip around well?? Fun to do tricks on?? Are they pretty sturdy?? Do the engines hold up well?? All info is helpful and welcome..

Just bought mine in the spring witth less than 80 hrs. but from what I have been reading watch out for supercharger problems, this winter I will be tearing mine down and changing out the ceramic washers.

But as far as moving, it has some nice take off speed and handles nice.
I could sell u mine so maybe the wifey will let me get a newer one :thumbsup:

Tons of fun.. I have two of them... Be careful, you can hurt your self of these fast PWCs!! I know!!!

So this guy says that he switched the ceramics to the stainless steel, has the paperwork to prove it .. does that add significant life to supercharger ?? obviously its how you take care of it .. but is there a big difference?? Im not finding much on it..

In a perfect world, it adds no additional life. In a realistic world, it absolutely is likely it saved your engine.
When the ceramic washers do not fail the super charger will go the same life as the metal washers. That said, the ceramic washers were proven to fail and damage not only the super charger, but the engine as well as the ceramic parts would drop into the engine.

So as I said, if they were ceramic and never failed, then there would be no difference as compared to the metal washers. But it is a gamble to not swap them out based on their poor past performance.

In a nutshell, it is a good thing to have them serviced...

It's a hood idea to pull the head off and replace all the valves with new updated valves the pre 2008 valves are sodium filled and have been know to break off and damage the engine severely so that's one thing you may want to consider also and I have a 2011 Rxpx and love it and yes be careful you can fall of and hurt yourself (I know lol) at 70mph water hurts

The two Sea Doo's I own now are the first Sea Doo's I have bought. I got lucky in my opinion. By buying a 2010 and a 2011 I bought skis that have the bugs from the 2008 and older models had.

I have learned a TON by reading hundreds and hundreds of posts...

VERY best web site there is as far as I am concerned.

So this guy says that he switched the ceramics to the stainless steel, has the paperwork to prove it .. does that add significant life to supercharger ?? obviously its how you take care of it .. but is there a big difference?? Im not finding much on it..

The superchargers have a rebuild service interval of 100 hrs... the steel washers protect your engine, as they won't fall apart and down into the engine like the ceramic washers were prone to. However changing just the washers does not change the required rebuild interval, parts inside the SC spin at very high speeds there are bearings and gears and things in there that must be replaced every 100 hrs to insure the SC's reliability it can still blow apart if a single bearing fails.

Speed costs, how fast can you afford to go? Any supercharged engine will require periodic rebuilds of the SC it's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Figure spending ~$500 every 100 hrs of operation to get the SC rebuilt (significantly more if you have a dealership rebuild it!). You can pull the SC out yourself and even rebuild it yourself if you're so inclined, or send it off to a shop to have it rebuilt then reinstall it yourself to save a little money but the parts still run over $400 no matter what there's no getting around this expense. The power of a supercharged engine is just awesome though, IMHO it's well worth the money every couple years! :driving:

- Michael

... the pre 2008 valves are sodium filled and have been know to break off and damage the engine severely so that's one thing you may want to consider also...

I don't disagree completely but the sodium filled exhaust valves were phased out during the 2006 year model production... my 2006 RXT has the non-sodium filled exhaust valves from the factory. And it's only the exhaust valves that were prone to breaking because of their design. If you have a pre-2006 model then hell yes I'd get those exhaust valves replaced ASAP a broken valve wreaks havoc inside the cylinder and can cost thousands of dollars to fix the motor! If you have a 2006 model 4TEC engine, check the numbers stamped on the valve stems 72 is bad 75 is good mine has 75 stamped on the exhaust valve stems (very hard to see numbers btw, very tiny and hard to get a close look at... I took an 8mp digital camera and took zoomed pics of the valves then uploaded the pics to my PC and could finally read the stem numbers seen in the pics!).

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back