2004 GTX155 help needed!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

04gtx155

Hello, I just acquired an 04 gtx 155 and took it out and it will not accelerate beyond 38-40, and the check engine light came on at 25mph after riding for a few minutes. I noticed some consistent smoking from the back ,but nothing crazy. The hours are 138. I wondered if you could point me in the right direction. I took two photos, one of the valve cover, which shows some type of sealant was used. Also, I noticed when I rinsed the engine there was water coming from the front exhaust hose that connects to the muffler. From what I can tell, there is likely an oil pressure or exhaust cooling issue. The prior owner had an oil sensor replaced, but it appears there is additional issues. When I ran the engine and stopped it, I checked the oil and there was pressure that was released when I took it out.

Is it normal to see small amounts of water leaking from the front exhaust hose that connects to the muffler?

What is the likely issue with the oil pressure based on my explanation?

Thank you in advance for your time and any direction you may be able to offer.

Attachments

• 20211012_184123.jpg
    20211012_184123.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211012_184115.jpg
    20211012_184115.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 24
Ok. Let's take this from the top.

1. It won't accelerate above 40 MPH. I had this problem with one of my 2002 GTX 155s. Using a mirror and a flashlight, look for an exhaust leak where the J-pipe connects to the exhaust manifold with the V-band clamp. Look all around the circumference of the clamp. If you see any soot, replace the J-pipe; you have an exhaust leak, and the engine is drawing in exhaust gas so it won't run properly. In my case, after I replaced the leaking j-pipe, the performance increase was significant and instantaneous.

2. The check engine light came on; with power on the ski; press "set" five times, and report the codes that are displayed on the information center.

3. Water is leaking from the front exhaust hose. The picture you posted is where the water injection (to keep the exhaust cool), hose connects to the j-pipe. The muffler is after the j-pipe (silver pipe). No. Water should not leak here; fix the leak. This leak may also be the source of exhaust gasses dumping into the engine compartment killing engine performance.

4. "I checked the oil and there was pressure that was released when I took it out." What does this mean? How did you check the oil pressure? Released from where? What was released? The pressure? Please clarify.

You can download the service manual for your ski at seadoomanuals dot net

Thank you for the detailed reply. That all makes perfect sense. I included a pic of where the front exhaust hose connects to the muffler. This is where the water leaks when I run it on the hose.

The pressure was released when removing the dipstick to check for oil levels after running the engine and letting it cool a few minutes.

I will run through as you have suggested and see where it goes from there. Thanks again, definitely helps with direction.

Attachments

• source of leak.png
    source of leak.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 24
Water should not leak from that connection.

I believe you have an oil system problem ... possibly too much oil in the crankcase. The crankcase should not be pressurized where there is noticeable pressure coming through the dip stick tube when you remove the dipstick. Make sure your oil level is not too high. I have read posts that the 4-tec engine will shut down when the oil is over serviced, but I never experienced that problem. On my skis, the oil level (checked with hot oil and a level ski) was always right in the middle of the range indicator.

Just had a problem with my 2005 RXT 215SC related to the TOPS valve. This valve is supposed to open to reduce pressure when pressure builds up in the engine crank case. It is supposed to close if you accidentally flip the machine so the oil does not flow into the air intake tube.

Long story short I replaced the oil pressure sensor on the front of the engine which controls the TOPS valve, disassembled the TOPS valve to clean it and verified the tip over switch was working. Pressure still built up blowing out the seal of the back edge of the valve cover. I believe this sensor is measuring the crank case pressure, despite being called an oil pressure sensor. The engine lubricating oil pressure sensor is located next to the oil filter towards the back of the engine.

I read many people remove the two discs in the TOPS valve which defeats the purpose of the TOPS valve but prevents the pressure building up in the crank case.

I got fed up trying to fix it so I removed the two discs and replaced the valve cover gasket.

If the system builds excessive pressure, it will go into limp mode which will lower the engine rpm. When this happens if you try to rev the engine the RPM will surge up and down but stay lower than about 3K.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the help on this forum. I think this could also be my issue. The prior owner replaced an oil sensor, and there is pressure and evidence of a valve leak. I will be trying this also. Cheers.

Removed tops valve. The milks color does not look good. The oil in the dipstick looks fine, and i have not noticed this color elsewhere. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 20211015_123828.jpg
    20211015_123828.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 19
Also, I noticed some oil at the bottom under the engine. I am assuming this is the oil leak from the head gasket? SMH.

When you put the key on the dess post to you here a loud click.that is the tops valve opening.if no click check out the connector for the wires sometimes they get opened up from being removed to many times.and seeing how it has a new oil switch someone was fishing around.

Update:

The removal of the disk and springs inside the TOPS valve allows the ski to run without the check engine light coming on and sending codes or limited rpms. However, I still have to address how coolant is getting inside the engine, as I see signs inside the TOPS valve with milky oil, and I definitely have a gasket leak somewhere, just do not know where for sure.

Can anybody comment on the possible ways coolant can leak into the oil? Obviously a head gasket is one, but what are the other definitive possibilities? I do have water leaking out of the front exhaust hose where it meets the muffler as indicated earlier in the post, but I do not know if this is related or not.

The ski smokes more than normal, but it does not smell sweet like coolant, more like water burning in the exhaust.

I am anxious to take the ski out for a day on the water but am concerned running it without addressing the other issues mentioned. Thanks again in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back