2004 GTX 155 wakeboard edition coolant sensor changing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walls89

Hi all.

I bought a used 2004 GTX about a month ago. I took it out on the water and after about 15 mins I got one long beep and a chk engine error. The ski ran great before and after the beep but I did take it out of the water for concern of the error.

I turned it off and did not hit set 5 times. After getting home and reading into it I see that I had to hit set 5 times while it's running to retrieve an error code. Next day I took it out again. Ran strong and great for about 15 mins then beep again. Pressed set 5 times and got error code of p0116.

After researching the code, i found that it's a faulty coolant temp sensor. Some said engine temp sensor. Are these the same thing?

I looked up the part number and found a coolant temp sensor on eBay. When installing it I noticed it looked a little different than the one that was on the ski. The one on the ski had a light blue plastic piece that the plug plugged into. And a round copper type sensor that inserted into the engine. The one I got from eBay had a black plastic connector and more of a pointed copper sensor rod that inserted into the engine.

I thought it was probably just a little different because it was an aftermarket part. But now I'm a little worried I either got the wrong part or put it in the wrong place??

I installed it on the back of the engine right above the oil filter.

Antifreeze leaked out onto the engine.

I tried to get as much as I could up.

When I went to start the seadoo it stalled a couple times and ran rough. Then I hooked it up to the hose so I could give it some throttle. It ran without stalling but I noticed the idle speed jump from 2000 to 3000 rpm.

Could this be related to the coolant sensor? I wouldn't think so.

But maybe I got the wrong sensor. An engine temp sensor vs a coolant temp sensor?

Or are these the same sensor?

There are two temp sensors, an engine temp sensor or coolant temp sensor(the one you changed which are the same thing and the correct one to change for a P0116), and an exhaust temp sensor which is mounted to the neck of the waterbox in the rear. They are both light blue and look identical but normally have different part numbers but I'm pretty sure they actually are the same thing. Haven't seen aftermarket sensors but as long as they give the same resistance at the same temp it will work fine. You can test your old one and your new one by measuring resistance at different temps, should be around 2400 ohms at room temp.

Your idling issue is most likely unrelated unless the sensor is completely wrong telling the ECU that it is at a different temp than it really is.

Spilling a little coolant on the motor is no big deal, it won't hurt anything as long as your not pouring into the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back