2004 GTI LE RFI Key Post pushed in?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

qcompgreg

So my wife used the jet ski this weekend. When she got home from our cabin I noticed that she brought the life jacket with the key on it. I asked her why she brought it and she replied that her son was using the ski and he broke the key. She brought the key back so that I could fix it. I called her son and he stated that the key is fine, but the post is “pushed in” so you can’t connect the key any more. I will have that battle for next weekend. Just wondering if anyone has insight on what I might be up against?
Does the steering column come apart easily so that I can get to the backside of the post?
Is there a threaded nut that could have come off?
Or do you think something plastic internally broke?

There’s a very thin plastic lock nut. It’s probably missing now but they do work loose.

There’s a very thin plastic lock nut. It’s probably missing now but they do work loose.
I went to partzilla but could not locate that assembly. There is a 278001790 Safety Switch for $90. I would guess that is the post for the key. I don’t see anything on a locking nut. I cringe at the thought of buying a $90 plastic nut.

How easily does that steering column open up?
And you said the nut is probably missing. Is the nut on the outside, so it is likely in the lake?

Seems like I need to find someone with a unit that they are parting out, buy their nut, then disassemble that control panel, push the post thru the panel and apply a new nut. Yes?

I got the part number and ordered from partzilla. Anyone know what is required to pop out that control faceplate so I can push the post back through to get the nut on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back