2003 Utopia not turning right at higher speeds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jc920

Hey all,
Bought this boat for the summer, after the 6time out, I cannot turn right at higher speeds as hard as I try to crank it. I have to slow down in order to turn.

What should I be looking for? How can it be fixed? Pics would be helpful too

I went underneath and everything looks fine. But I’m new to this boat, so not even sure what to look for.

The steering cable at the nozzle end is mostly worn out or damaged. Too much flex under load makes it impossible to turn in the direction that the cable extends from the housing. Replacing isn't too hard and the cable is relatively cheap.

The steering cable at the nozzle end is mostly worn out or damaged. Too much flex under load makes it impossible to turn in the direction that the cable extends from the housing. Replacing isn't too hard and the cable is relatively cheap.
Thanks!!!

Any directions or websites to find replacement parts?

It's a standard part across most boats. Just need the length. I would take it out and go to the marina with it. You will need a 7/8" crowfoot socket to get it out most likely.

Haven’t made this change yet. But I have a question. Why would it turn left with no problem at high speed and not just right? Are there two cables?

Haven’t made this change yet. But I have a question. Why would it turn left with no problem at high speed and not just right? Are there two cables?
Turning left puts the cable in tension. Ok for a cable.
Turning right puts the cable in compression. Not good for a cable. The telescope tubes are worn or loose allowing the end of the cable to flex in right turn.
There is only one steer cable.

I found the part. Around $150 will I need any other parts? It looks like the boot has some splits in it. Is it easy to install?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I found 2 options, ones a SBT and the other is from Rare Electrical. Any thoughts?

https://a.co/d/0htAmzw
or
https://a.co/d/ilgElBP
Your pix show cable on starboard side of jet housing. That is the shift cable. Since that boot is torn, you have water in the cable. That will make it rust. Soon. Cable and boot should be replaced.

Steering: When I replaced mine $140 from eBay a few years ago for Teleflex brand. Make sure you replace steering bellows, too.

Your pix show cable on starboard side of jet housing. That is the shift cable. Since that boot is torn, you have water in the cable. That will make it rust. Soon. Cable and boot should be replaced.

Steering: When I replaced mine $140 from eBay a few years ago for Teleflex brand. Make sure you replace steering bellows, too.
Is the Shift cable different than the steering cable? Are you saying I should replace both?
I have a cable to the left of the jet housing and then one on the starboard side

Is the Shift cable different than the steering cable? Are you saying I should replace both?
I have a cable to the left of the jet housing and then one on the starboard side
Yes. Both.
Shift cable should be less than $50.

Shift cable is on Left and Steering cable on right? Sorry I’m just trying to be clear you have been a big help. Thank you in advance.
From behind boat——
Steering on left.
Shift on the right.

Left cable moves the nozzle.
Right cable moves reverse gate.

I am not finding that price anywhere. Little help maybe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 9
Mercury number.
896145A12
Shift, NOT throttle.
On my images above, it states that I need 145 inches, basically 12ft based of part number for my year and boat type. Trust it or pull it out first? Rather have it first before doing it

On my images above, it states that I need 145 inches, basically 12ft based of part number for my year and boat type. Trust it or pull it out first? Rather have it first before doing it

I prefer to have the old one in hand if I am buying local. The length refers to the longest length of the cable you can measure. Tip to tip. Shift NOT throttle. These are standard marine cables. Not any special Seadoo part. Don't forget the rubber boot for each cable. Mercury calls that boot an annual maintenence item.

Thanks Tim, you have been a real help. I am going to attempt this myself since nobody in Wisconsin seems to know anything about these boats. I also bought the cable boots.
Is there anything else I need to know as far as greasing them or removing or adding them back in?

Thanks Tim, you have been a real help. I am going to attempt this myself since nobody in Wisconsin seems to know anything about these boats. I also bought the cable boots.
Is there anything else I need to know as far as greasing them or removing or adding them back in?
It is not that they don't know anything about seadoos, it is that seadoos are harder to work on than an outboard and standing on the ground. For the same hourly rate.

The cables are factory lubed. You will need a crowfoot wrench for steering cable. Do not bang on your castings. They will break. Do you have the service manual? You should.

You will need a small amount of marine sealant for the steering cable where it passes thru the hull rubber.

It is not that they don't know anything about seadoos, it is that seadoos are harder to work on than an outboard and standing on the ground. For the same hourly rate.

The cables are factory lubed. You will need a crowfoot wrench for steering cable. Do not bang on your castings. They will break. Do you have the service manual? You should.

You will need a small amount of marine sealant for the steering cable where it passes thru the hull rubber.
just received the cable boots today and ready to start my install, but it appears the boots are a little big. I did some more investigating it appears that the boots or bellows are a little different due to the circumference at the ends.

After investigating I found the part number which is for the steering kit 877581A4 (<---link for kit) , which is listed for $50 a piece
or
can I just get away with ordering the boots for these on eBay. (<--link to part)

any suggestions on different options?

Last edited:
just received the cable boots today and ready to start my install, but it appears the boots are a little big. I did some more investigating it appears that the boots or bellows are a little different due to the circumference at the ends.

After investigating I found the part number which is for the steering kit 877581A4 (<---link for kit) , which is listed for $50 a piece
or
can I just get away with ordering the boots for these on eBay. (<--link to part)

any suggestions on different options?
Sorry for the delay.

The bellows are different. You need one of each.
Be careful with the steering bellows. It is the more difficult to install.

Just joined the Forum 20 minutes ago !!! I have a Speedster with the same issue. I purchased the OEM cable from water craft super store, and Bellows kit form Merc. I began the cable change yesterday morning, and having difficulty removing the cable from inside the Engine Compartment (not as skinny as I use to be). Not an issue. My question is when I re-install the cable (I used heavy duty string for a messenger line during cable removal) should I re-route the cable to the port side in front of the towing mast base? As found the cable is routed aft of the towing mast.

Last edited:
Just joined the Forum 20 minutes ago !!! I have a Speedster with the same issue. I purchased the OEM cable from water craft super store, and Bellows kit form Merc. I began the cable change yesterday morning, and having difficulty removing the cable from inside the Engine Compartment (not as skinny as I use to be). Not an issue. My question is when I re-install the cable (I used heavy duty string for a messenger line during cable removal) should I re-route the cable to the port side in front of the towing mast base? As found the cable is routed aft of the towing mast.
Like the factory did it.

Back