2003 Utopia - 250 Optimax steady warning beep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

legojones

My 250 Optimax has been running great this year but this last weekend a steady warning horn has started to go off. It started after a water hose clamp came loose and quite a bit of water collected in the bilge but not enough to reach the engine itself. I fixed the hose clamp which fixed the water in the bilge problem but soon after an alarm started to sound.

It happens when the engine revs over 4000 rpm for a few minutes. If I throttle back to idle and then throttle up the beep goes off, if I keep the revs below 4000 rpm the beep never sounds. The oil warning light on the dash does not light.

A couple of other factors:

I put a can of SeaFoam engine treatment in the gas tank.
I topped up my oil tank with Optimax 2 stroke oil, it had Quicksilver Premium Plus in there but according to the Mercury site its OK to mix those brands.

Does anyone have any insight into what the warning horn indicates? I don't think it is overheating since I can run for long periods without problems as long I stay under 4000 rpm.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Kevan

Same problem

I have the same boat and the same problem, did you fix it yet? I noticed when the beeping starts if I use any accessories, my spedometer jumps, which leads me to think it may be an electrical problem. Can anyone help?

check the water seperator. i had a continuos beeping and a Merc mechanic told me that it indivacted too much water in the filter. emptied it and fixed the problem.

04 Mercury Optimax 90HP OB

I was wondering if your problem is fixed. I have the same issue and my boat is at the 5th mechanic!! The motor is an 04 Optimax 90HP. If I go past 4000 rpm its starts beeping steadily. Then if you bring it down in speed it goes away. I have replaced the Throttle position sensor, water pump, and crank shaft sensor. NOTHING has fixed it. They say it might be a coil or the spark plugs. Please help!!!

Don't know if this applies to your Optimax 250, but my 200-240efi jet drive manual says that a continuous warning signal can only be:

1. cooling system problem: power limit will vary with level of overheat
2. critically low oil level: guardian system will only allow a fast idle
3. oil pump failure: only allows a fast idle
4. sensor out of range: power limit may activate at full throttle

It says a low oil reserve, and a full water separator are the only 2 conditions where the alarm is 4 beeps every 2 minutes.

Also, this Engine Guardian System will reset itself if you move the throttle back to idle position. Sounds like you have a bad sensor.

Mike

Do you have that manual in PDF form? I've done many searches for that PDF, it would be good to get it into our archives on this forum.

Thanks!

Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back