2003 Sportster winterizing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret89

I have a 2003 Sportster 150 with a 155hp non supercharged engine. I’ve seen in a few videos where guys hook up a hose to somewhere on the back of the boat and circulate antifreeze throughout until it come out the exhaust etc. I understand what they’re doing, I’m just trying to make sure of where they’re connecting a hose at the back of the boat. It appears there’s about a 1 inch pipe coming out the back at about 10 or 11 o’clock when you look at it from the back. I usually try to do maintenance on everything myself and this is the first fall I’ve own one of these boats.

It appears there’s about a 1 inch pipe coming out the back at about 10 or 11 o’clock when you look at it from the back.

That's the hose hook-up for flushing your exhaust or winterizing your exhaust.

Bret89, good idea to do your own maintenance but be careful of the exhaust cooling. You probably know this from watching the videos, but these boats don't use a jacketed exhaust manifold like many boats, the SeaDoo's cooling water goes into the manifold. So you can't just pump water or antifreeze into that hookup without the engine running or you'll pump liquid into your engine and likely right through into your intake manifold. Get a shop manual.
My Utopia manual (same engines) says to simply run the engine at 4000rpm for 20 seconds (out of the water), which will blow out (most of) the water in the exhaust. If you're in North Dakota or somewhere else wicked cold, then I'd consider the exhaust antifreeze. I rarely see below zero F so don't worry about AF in the exhaust.
Make sure your engine coolant is up to snuff.

Jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back