2003 sea doo speedster please help!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkalb22

Hello guys, I have a 2003 sea doo speedster with the mercury 240 refi two stroke engine in it I am having a lot of trouble and could use some advice on what else to look at... so hereto is what's going on,..
I took the boat to a marina last summer where nothing was done, I was told it needed a new fuel pump and spark plugs, so I did exactly that I got a new file pump and new plugs. today I took it out of the garage to get it ready for summer and had trouble keeping it running some things that are happening are, the starter won t retract back down after starting the engine im not sure if this is an electrical problem or a problem with the starter. I greased it up and it still wouldn't go back down. once the boat starts it has trouble staying running I can keep it running if I am on the throttle but it will not idle for long before shutting off. im not sure if I am flooding the carburetor or what could be the issue. im at a lose and any ideas as to what could be going on would be much appreciated.

Hello guys, I have a 2003 sea doo speedster with the mercury 240 refi two stroke engine in it I am having a lot of trouble and could use some advice on what else to look at... so hereto is what's going on,..
I took the boat to a marina last summer where nothing was done, I was told it needed a new fuel pump and spark plugs, so I did exactly that I got a new file pump and new plugs. today I took it out of the garage to get it ready for summer and had trouble keeping it running some things that are happening are, the starter won t retract back down after starting the engine im not sure if this is an electrical problem or a problem with the starter. I greased it up and it still wouldn't go back down. once the boat starts it has trouble staying running I can keep it running if I am on the throttle but it will not idle for long before shutting off. im not sure if I am flooding the carburetor or what could be the issue. im at a lose and any ideas as to what could be going on would be much appreciated.
Old dry grease on starter shaft can cause your problem. Try WD40 or similar.
If you have a 240 Eli, you don’t have carbs. There are 3 fuel pumps. Sounds like your vast inlet needle is sticking closed. Tomorrow put voltmeter leads onto vest pump. Crank it. If it runs, and dies, do you have pump voltage? If yes, you probably have stuck inlet needle

Old dry grease on starter shaft can cause your problem. Try WD40 or similar.
If you have a 240 Eli, you don’t have carbs. There are 3 fuel pumps. Sounds like your vast inlet needle is sticking closed. Tomorrow put voltmeter leads onto vest pump. Crank it. If it runs, and dies, do you have pump voltage? If yes, you probably have stuck inlet

I got the starter fixed by doing exactly what you said but it’s still having trouble Idleing

Have you checked fuel flow from each pump? The first pump- aka lift pump is the one you hear thump-thump when you turn key to run. It only runs a few seconds.
Pump 2 is engine driven by crankcase pressure-vacuum pulses. It is tucked in close to the block. Follow the hoses. Pump 3 is in the vst housing. Pressure at the tire valve on top should be 36psi. As long as it has fuel and electric power. This pump runs as long as the key is at RUN. Fairly common for the inlet needle to stick in closed position. If there is no power, start checking wire connections to the pump wires and at the pump. Power is controlled by the ECU, but they seldom fail. Again, check wires and grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back