2003 or 2008 seadoo sport/speed/ster 155 hp which to buy?? $5K delta

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

M_R

Note: this is a re-post from the wrong forum so sorry for the duplicate thread in advance

After a horrible experience last summer with a 2002 Sportster LE which didn't last an hour before dying and then waited till the last week of August to get it back only to find out the rebuild failed. I AM NOW ONLY INTERESTED IN A 4-TECH!!

So I'm looking for a 15 ft Seadoo 155 HP boat, all in Canada:

Here are my options right now, both come with trailer and seadoo covers:

1st option private sale older gentleman who seam 150% honest on the phone:

2003 Sportster 155HP 2nd owner, who bought it from a marina 5 years ago (for 15K!) with only 30 hours on the boat. He claims it been barely used as his grand kids just didn't get into the boating and in fact he states it wasn't even used two of the 5 years he's had it. Claims to have it properly winterized each year and oil changes done. No print out of hours but he doesn't think he's put more than 25 hours one since he's owned it. $7,500 and may or may not have to pay ~ $500 tax at a later date

2nd option, Dealer employee selling the boat through his dealership (which sells everything mostly farm stuff but also BRP), seams legit but who knows? no warranty

2008 Speedster 150 155hp 1 owner plus the dealer employee who's been using it. I'm told its clean and has 72 hours on it and the the guy GPS'ed at 89 km/h ~ 52 mph. last weekend so its on the faster side $12,800 (which is inclusive of 13% HST tax)

Both will give me a water test.

Both have approximately the same hours and should be in approximately the same physical condition ( I know the 2008 has the new dash), but one is 5 year old, the other 10. Both are a three + hours drive in opposite directions from me so I will only choose one.

I'm borrowing to buy so either amount is doable but the $8K seams so much easier to stomach.

What do you guys think, should I shell out the additional $5,300 for the 5 year newer boat? Or will I be fine with the 2003 and should save the ~ $5k

Many thanks

Matthew

Last edited by a moderator:
My $0.02

I don't think there is any absolute right or wrong in that decision.

I recently went through the same choice spreads, and ended up buying a red 2008 Speedster 150 155hp. I had the cash for either, so in my case erred on the peace of mind of a newer boat.

Some minor advantages of the 2008:
- Digital dash as you mentioned.
- Hour meter display is handy for maintenance and resale.
- May come with an OE depth finder, that shows in display. Mine did. Check for transducer mounted to engine bay floor near battery.
- Compass and water temp shown in display.
- Renamed to Speedster, which may appear less dated come resale.
- Available in red and black colour scheme if that floats your boat. Makes it look less dated than yellow that seems to have been out forever IMHO.

Since 2003 was first year for new hull and 4-tec, they made a few visible and invisible engineering improvements over the 5 years. And 5 years less exposure to the elements should certainly make a difference. How long do you plan to keep it, think how old either will be then. See it as $1000/year depreciaction between the two, some of which you could recoup at resale time. You did get burned by an older Seadoo product before.

I did pay $1300 less for my 2008 (in perfect condition) in Canada this year, and came with bimini top as well. But that seems mostly the tax difference since we pay 0 tax on a private used boat in Quebec. A dealer could also facilitate the paper work (proper invoice, transfer of ownership, and protection against being stolen or liens etc.)

Hi Matthew, I own a 2003 Sportster which I bought new. SeaDoo had some problems which they never admitted to.
1) oil pressure switch was defective. No recall but they did replace at no charge.
2) air intake hose collapsed. Had to pay for that one.
3)Problems with wiring harness for charging system. Repaired at no charge.
4)Jet pump design was defective.Boat always cavitated on take off. I thought it was normal because I had never owned any jet propulsion boats. I repaired it but could not have done it without being a machinist. Now I have zero cavitation.
Hope this has been hepful to you. After these problems were resolved we have enjoyed the boat every weekend. In Gulf Shores Ala. now.

Bill

The issues that papabill mentions are most likely some of the "non-obvious" engineering improvements made. For example that collapsing intake hose was resolved by putting an air filter directly on the intake on the 2008 ... no more hose to go wrong!

Another one I noticed was a throttle body lube port added to the engine after the first years (a capped yellow nipple on the engine cover), so lubrication can be sprayed in during regular maintenance.

Endless improvement attempts to the SC as well ... till they finally got reliability right very late in the game ... but that does not concern the 155hp version.

No doubt plenty others as well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back