2003 Optimax 250 plug change how to

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZuk

Hi Everyone,

Love the site, especially since I am newbie. I just bought a 2003 Utopia 205 with the Optimax 250. She ran great over the past few weeks but now she will not rev above 3000 and I want to change the plugs. The question is how do I get to the plugs? :confused: Do I need to remove the fuel rail and direct injectors or is there a easier way, I am thinking I am making this to hard. Any help would great,

Thanks,
JayZuk.

That sounds like the hard way. Just lean way over the engine and you should be able to get at them from the back.

If the plugs don't solve the problem you may want to check the neutral safety switch to make sure it is not sticking. If it does it can activate the rev limiter and stick you around 3-3500 rpm. If it feels more like it is starving for fuel you may have a low pressure fuel problem.

See what the plugs do for you and let us know if it is still acting up.

Aaron:cheers:

Thanks Aaron,

So I should be able to see the plug lead with removing anything? Are they on the inside of the fuel rails or outside toward the side of the motor? I even got the manual today I can not find them on any of the 100+ diagrams, hence I assumed they are under the fuel rails. I could go for a few :cheers: about now.

Thanks Again,

JZ

Remove the top plastic engine cover as well as the two side curtains to give your self lots of room. With the top plastic cover off if you lean over the engine you will see the pugs down near the center of the back of the engine.

Not going to lie........ they kind of suck to change.:ack::rofl:

I don't have the plug number off hand for the 250, but stick with the NGK plug that Mercury recommends.

Aaron:cheers:

Thank You Thank You

Hey Aaron,

I changed the plugs this past weekend, thanks for all the help and you're right what a PIA. It took me about 2 hours but the sun was out. I finally got to take her for a spin tonight and she fired right up :hurray: and drover great, we hit 45 on the speedo. Thanks again for all the help. FYI the plugs where $10 per at auto zone in Roch NY.

JayZuk

Hi Jay,
Im looking at doing a tune up on an 08 Utopia 205 with the 250 HP Mercury Optimax engine and was wondering what brand an part number you came up with for the same engine as I have? The plugs are readily available from autozone, etc? THanks for any info you can provide. Thnks

Mark

OOps, its a 2002 Utopia 205 with the 250 HP Mercury Optimax engine that i was looking for the recommend spark plug manufacturer & part number, thanks

Rochester

Jayzuk,

Just for your info, user kevspyder just picked up a Utopia 185 this Summer and I am closing in on a Utopia 205. We are both in Rochester NY.

John

Yeap

Yeap thats what I used and it made a hugh difference, but Aaron was right, they kinda suck to change.

Hi John and Kev,

Great to see some Western New Yorkers on this site. We love our 205.

Take Care,

JZ

Yeap thats what I used and it made a hugh difference, but Aaron was right, they kinda suck to change.

Hi John and Kev,

Great to see some Western New Yorkers on this site. We love our 205.

Take Care,

JZ

Where you guys putting in at? Im over at Charlotte almost every night. John if you wanna go for a ride some night to get a feel let me know.

Hi Rookie,
thanks so much for the p/n info for the plugs. I just got my plug change complete on my Optimax 250 last week and engine runs fantastic. Some of those plugs were hell to get to but It got done and glad its over, LOL. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back