2003 GTX DI Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm sure this one is gonna have some twists and turns but I'm getting everything ready. Gonna go front to back or back to front as usual getting it in top shape mechanically. Exterior and hull looks good to me. I'm thinking at least a month before I get this one complete. This thing is larger and heavier than the early model
skis. I wonder if it will handle better or worse and what's the strong points?

2003 GTX DI Red 2.jpg2003 GTX DI Red 3.jpg

The only thing better on that will be rough water and comfort. That is the heaviest hull they ever put the 951 in and the slowest.

He's right. These things are turds. Comfortable tug boats, but turds.
Hit gas. Obtain 51mph. Take nap.

:D :D Sounds like I need to put that new 951 DI engine in the 02 RX. LOL

Attachments

• 2001 RX Blue (1).JPEG
    2001 RX Blue (1).JPEG
    309.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2001 RX Blue (2).JPEG
    2001 RX Blue (2).JPEG
    250 KB · Views: 21
All depends on what you want to do with the ski. Sometimes the wife and I will take two of the DI skis to the gulf and go exploring along the inter coastal. They sip gas and are great for long rides.
Sometimes we go for long rides on the Tennessee River and they are great for that as well.
Then sometimes I will bring the RXT and rip it to the next marina and get gas then rip it some more.
My DI skis are earlier than 2003 and will get it pretty good when I want to.
Just need to figure out what you want to do.

I'm sure this one is gonna have some twists and turns but I'm getting everything ready. Gonna go front to back or back to front as usual getting it in top shape mechanically. Exterior and hull looks good to me. I'm thinking at least a month before I get this one complete. This thing is larger and heavier than the early model
skis. I wonder if it will handle better or worse and what's the strong points?

View attachment 43693View attachment 43694

A DI ? Positive, they sip gas, cons they can be expensive to maintain and that newer GTX hull is heavy, I'll bet an early 787 GTX can out run it. Personally you couldn't give me a DI... I hope you didn't buy it to flip...word is out in the 2 stroke community to avoid them at all costs.

All depends on what you want to do with the ski. Sometimes the wife and I will take two of the DI skis to the gulf and go exploring along the inter coastal. They sip gas and are great for long rides.
Sometimes we go for long rides on the Tennessee River and they are great for that as well.
Then sometimes I will bring the RXT and rip it to the next marina and get gas then rip it some more.
My DI skis are earlier than 2003 and will get it pretty good when I want to.
Just need to figure out what you want to do.

If it is OK with you I will hit you up for info when I put this thing together. I'm gonna send the injectors off for cleaning and get all that stuff prepped for the engine install.

We cut up a little bit on our GTXs but we like to cruise mostly.

If it is OK with you I will hit you up for info when I put this thing together. I'm gonna send the injectors off for cleaning and get all that stuff prepped for the engine install.

We cut up a little bit on our GTXs but we like to cruise mostly.

I am not always on here as I am busy with other things, but I will be more than happy to help you if I can.

OK, here we go. The engine is ready for assembly and I'm learning some stuff already. LOL This is my first DI. rebuild. I wasn't going to post the details but I figure it may help someone else. I was checking the oil ports for the injection to the cylinders and found a difference. After much diligence in trying to resolve the problem I found the opposite is the true problem

The mag side oil port has resistance. So I checked it with my mitey vac. It bleeds down slowly and I can't really blow through it with my mouth. Port flows great about about 5 psi. The PTO port I can blow through. That one is bad. I'm gonna see if I can get it working or I'll just replace it. Like I said, new to me stuff but these are check valves. I was gonna test with the oil pump as I always do before assembly. Might help someone. I'm sure I'll have more to post along this adventure.

I haven't sent the fuel injectors off yet so the process will be a bit slowed.

Boy O Boy these first timers sure are interesting. Like a Jigsaw puzzle only with consequences. I think the BEST thing is the parts I have around here. I find the exact parts I need so I don't have many delays at all. I cleaned up the oil port and got the check valve working so we're good there. Engine is coming along.

GTX DI Engine Prep 9-27-19 (1).JPEGGTX DI Engine Prep 9-27-19 (2).JPEGGTX DI Engine Prep 9-27-19 (3).JPEG

What a pain in the azz connecting all those lines. I know it always takes 3 times longer for your first one though. I also had to do a lot of checking and fixing what other people broke before I got the ski. :) I
connected a few lines while lowering the engine which was a help but you can't do that with all of them.

Alignment is complete. Engine was about .025" too low. I would sure like to know the factory criteria when they build these skis. I'm beginning to wonder. Throttle bodies installed.... now I can get back to the restoration part. Looks like RED oil in the oil tank. What's up with these people??

2003 GTX Engine Install 10-2-19 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Do they have any "off-brand" stuff that is red. I live in Louisiana.... not many people here are gonna pay and use the good stuff.

Not that I have ever seen. The only one that I have seen red is the XPS full synthetic.

Maybe it's ATF, LOL.

You lake tested yet? :p
Looking good. Did you connect the bottom oil vent line before setting the motor.
I always forget that one and swear a lot.

On the bottom oil vent.... yes, I connected it before I lowered the engine and still swore at it. LOL Can it be connected with the engine in place? I can't even feel it under there.. I still have to go through the pump end and replace the fuel filters. I'm slow and it's gonna be a busy month for me. LOL I hope you are around over the winter I"m sure I'm gonna need some help with these bad boys. :)

The only thing better on that will be rough water and comfort. That is the heaviest hull they ever put the 951 in and the slowest.

I find the ski with the little rudders on the side don't turn as well as skis that don't have them....like the 1997GTX. I've heard some people remove them. They sure did go through a lot of trouble designing those things. Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back