2003 GTX 4 Tech Supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
One of these is for sale in my area and I am considering buying it and rebuilding the engine. How much of a pain are these to rebuild? Owner says a long block is $3K. This would be my first venture into the realm of 4 stroke jet skis but... I"m a motorcycle guy... the engine doesn't scare me... much. LOL Supercharger has only an hour or so on it. Thoughts?

One of these is for sale in my area and I am considering buying it and rebuilding the engine. How much of a pain are these to rebuild? Owner says a long block is $3K. This would be my first venture into the realm of 4 stroke jet skis but... I"m a motorcycle guy... the engine doesn't scare me... much. LOL Supercharger has only an hour or so on it. Thoughts?

I have a 2003 Supercharged GTX and my plan has always been to part it out if the engine blew. I don't see any return on investment by replacing the engine unless I was planning on keeping it for a long time.

I have a 2003 Supercharged GTX and my plan has always been to part it out if the engine blew. I don't see any return on investment by replacing the engine unless I was planning on keeping it for a long time.

I"m not buying an engine. I'll repair this one if I get it. Just curious as to how much the parts cost. I don't mind passing this one buy if it isn't worth it. I like this kinda stuff. :D :D

I"m not buying and engine. I'll repair this one if I get it. Just curious as to how much the parts cost. I don't mind passing this one buy if it isn't worth it.

What is the extent of the damage? Did it grenade or is it something like low compression?

Low compression from what I understand. but I have to treat it like it's junk cuz I sure can't believe what someone says. There is always a lot of HOPE in what people think is wrong compared to the ugly of reality. LOL

Whatever dollar you spend it is a dollar lost on a 2003 ski imo.
Feel free to open up the engine and check what needs replacement, 1000 usd is quickly out of the wallet for a partial rebuilt.
The rebuilding is easy, just a few pistons going up an down as on every engine. All is easy with the proper tools and knowledge.
There was a guy here who bought a very recent ski for 500 usd and he fixed it very cheap as the dealer seemed to be a dumb ass, miracle story.
Just search a more recent ski, enough trashed projects around I would say.

I'm looking at parts on ebay and such. Ski is Under $700. If I can get R done for around $1300 I'm cool with that. Me doing all the work of course. I'm planning for catastrophic though. :)

You have so much more that can be bad on the 4-tec and eat money. Crank, rods, cam, valvetrain, oil pump, injectors. Gross, getting the willies just thinking about it.

Ask for documentation proving when the SC was rebuilt. Good luck :thumbs-up:

I can't get up that way till later in the week. Maybe he'll sell it before I get there. LOL I'm not sure I want to fool with it. I Have lots of skis to work on and 3 need engines. :) It just seems like a good entry price for a ski like this.

Almost in the same boat, paid $600 185-SC with trailer,had to pass on 2 good motors cause wife family member borrow my rebuild funds, its been 7-months,

I don't think the ski is worth that. Gimmie da two strokes and two smokes. I can build a Killer RX for that much and I have one. :D :D

I wouldn't buy it because in 2003, these were the first 4 techs produced and they were probably not evolved. Either buy an old 2 stroke or save your money to buy a more recent 4 tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back