2003 GTI resto - need some help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfiedoo

So yesterday I bought an 03 GTI from the original owners. It's in excellent shape; was stored indoors and didn't get a lot of use.
Outside, it needed a bit of cleaning, but that's all. The motor is the cleanest 720 I've seen.

The seller indicated that 3 years ago, he was fishing on it (trolling) when "the motor seized". He got towed in, parked it, and this year decided to sell.

I haven't tried the starter, because I'm unsure if it's ok to do so if it's indeed seized. I do get the 2 beeps and the gauge works.

I pulled the plugs, and can move the flywheel a small bit in each direction; a screwdriver resting on the top of each piston will move up and down about 1/4".
I sprayed PB Blaster generously in each cylinder, and now I wait.

In the meantime, I wondered if the pump/impeller could be seized, and not the motor.
I know very little about this, but managed to take off the reverse bucket, and what I think is called the Venturi, and then the pump cone.
Pics will show what I found. The problem is, I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm guessing the inside of the cone should not look like that!

What's next?

All advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 6D157B31-942A-44AA-AB21-CCD0A44D3BC2.jpeg
    6D157B31-942A-44AA-AB21-CCD0A44D3BC2.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1FA0C095-B9AB-415B-A02B-2314C2FB72DC.jpeg
    1FA0C095-B9AB-415B-A02B-2314C2FB72DC.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1BFF153E-3852-4BA4-908F-DF23F6A3D9B2.jpeg
    1BFF153E-3852-4BA4-908F-DF23F6A3D9B2.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 4CBDEFF7-B454-402D-9F95-4C1C6B1FCE64.jpeg
    4CBDEFF7-B454-402D-9F95-4C1C6B1FCE64.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 38
Good looking ski! That motor and hull sure do look super clean

When you tried to spin the fly wheel was the pump off? It sure looks like it the pump needs some love with all that rust.

Judging by the pump it is rusted and seized and there is a good chance the engine could be ok.
First remove the plastic PTO cover from the rear of the engine and then slide the stainless hat back on the driveshaft seal and remove the c-clip for the driveshaft carbon seal.

Next remove the pump and see if the engine will turn over by hand after pulling the sparkplugs.

Ok, gents, pump is off and motor spins freely! The impeller appears stuck solid to the impeller shaft. I have the impeller tool, a 4' 3/4 drive breaker bar, impact gun, and heat. Thus far, no dice. We've sprayed some PB down the hole and left it. Any ideas?

Mo-Betta heat . and try in impact gun. :) I love working on those things. Yea baby, you gone give it up!! Simon Says... "Let Go!" :D

Huge cheater pipe on a breaker bar. At this point you have nothing to loose.

I haven’t had any luck with impact wrenches on these. Big steady pressure is the key.

You did good and got lucky on the engine, congratulations!

The engine will still need a full service and carb rebuild and you’ll be good to go.

Huge cheater pipe on a breaker bar. At this point you have nothing to loose.

I haven’t had any luck with impact wrenches on these. Big steady pressure is the key.

You did good and got lucky on the engine, congratulations!

The engine will still need a full service and carb rebuild and you’ll be good to go.
Ok, got it. A couple more questions if you have time:

1) how do I know if the driveshaft is OK? It looks fine to me.
2) Is there a neoprene seal between the pump and mounting plate?
3) We removed the ride plate in the process of removing the pump, which was stuck. Will any RTV sealant work for reinstallation?

You can visually inspect the drive shaft. Pay attention to both splines, pitting and scoring around the seal area of the water seal where the o-rings ride, and roll the shaft on a smooth surface to see if it is straight. If you have V-Blocks and a dial indicator that will work as well.. You can see in this picture the PTO end of the shaft is worn and starting to roll. I used the one on the right. Good luck.

Attachments

• GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (2).JPG
    GTX 951 Drive Shaft Worn (2).JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 29
You can visually inspect the drive shaft. Pay attention to both splines, pitting and scoring around the seal area of the water seal where the o-rings ride, and roll the shaft on a smooth surface to see if it is straight. If you have V-Blocks and a dial indicator that will work as well.. You can see in this picture the PTO end of the shaft is worn and starting to roll. I used the one on the right. Good luck.
Thanks. That's very helpful! We did the motor in my 95 XP last year, but this is my first time rebuilding from the PTO to the impeller.

If the impeller won't budge (with a breaker bar or impact wrench) is it possible that the bearings are rusted or broke. I've worked the heck out of this impeller, and the impeller will spin. But putting it in a vice to hold the opposite end, and using the correct impeller removal tool, won't budge it. I hate to give up but I'm running out of summer and need to get this simple fix done!!!! (Why didn't you have luck with a impact wrench?)
Thanks in advance.

If the impeller won't budge (with a breaker bar or impact wrench) is it possible that the bearings are rusted or broke. I've worked the heck out of this impeller, and the impeller will spin. But putting it in a vice to hold the opposite end, and using the correct impeller removal tool, won't budge it. I hate to give up but I'm running out of summer and need to get this simple fix done!!!! (Why didn't you have luck with a impact wrench?)
Thanks in advance.
Sorry I missed this. We eventually got it free with lots of PB Blaster, heat, and a massive breaker bar. I guess my impact wrench isn't strong enough. Any luck with yours?

Shaft should be good splines look good.do yourself a favor and check the motor mounts.just give the motor a few good pulls on four corners.sometimes when the pump seized it breaks a mount or four.get a rebuild kit and impelkar shaft.clean tank and carb and let her run

Lots of heat on the impeller.
The shaft in a big vice and a huge breaker bar and cheater pipe. I have never had any luck with impact wrenches, even 1,000 ft/lb 1” drive ones.

Sorry I missed this. We eventually got it free with lots of PB Blaster, heat, and a massive breaker bar. I guess my impact wrench isn't strong enough. Any luck with yours?
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I took it to a Sea Doo Dealer and I had them get the impeller out and replace the shaft/bearing and new impeller. I didn't want to break something by doing something stupid. I tried everything but using a torch. Even the dealer had a hard time getting the old impeller out. Less of my time wasted...and less money in my wallet. But hey...IT'S DONE! :)

No shame in that at all. What’s important is all any of us want…. Smiles out on the water and family fun.

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I took it to a Sea Doo Dealer and I had them get the impeller out and replace the shaft/bearing and new impeller. I didn't want to break something by doing something stupid. I tried everything but using a torch. Even the dealer had a hard time getting the old impeller out. Less of my time wasted...and less money in my wallet. But hey...IT'S DONE! :)
Sometimes the smartest move is recognizing when to fork over the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back