2003 challenger x electrical issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Hoping you might be able to help me learn what might be causing all ground wires behind dash to have positive current on our 2003 challenger x. I’m not sure how or when it happened, but all gauges & switches on dash no longer work. After doing some testing with power probe, we learned that not only is there power on positive dash leads, but there is also power at negative leads.... A friend is guessing that the ECM is likely the problem, but is not certain.
Have any of you had to deal with this issue or know what is the most likely cause of it.

That's a new one on me. BUT... if there was actual power on the grounds... they would short... and there would be smoke and all the fuses will blow. So... I'm guessing you are measuring or checking something wrong.

??? I’ll check it again using a volt meter to see what it reads. The first test was done using a power probe which among other things indicates when there is positive current.
behind the dash, there are several groups of different color wires leading to the different gauges & switches. There is also 8-10 black wires all clumped together & connected to each other (I’m assuming they are ground wires)....this is one area we tested & believe we found positive current. ???
I appreciate your reply. Thank you. I’ll post again after retesting.
Also, I downloaded a repair manual for the boat but It did not include electrical diagram. Any help on finding a more complete manual would also be very helpful.

??? I’ll check it again using a volt meter to see what it reads. The first test was done using a power probe which among other things indicates when there is positive current.
behind the dash, there are several groups of different color wires leading to the different gauges & switches. There is also 8-10 black wires all clumped together & connected to each other (I’m assuming they are ground wires)....this is one area we tested & believe we found positive current. ???
I appreciate your reply. Thank you. I’ll post again after retesting.
Also, I downloaded a repair manual for the boat but It did not include electrical diagram. Any help on finding a more complete manual would also be very helpful.
There is no good electrical diagram or appropriately detailed manual. There is a repair manual that has some stuff in it but not all. You have to buy a second manual for the engine.

My switches have stopped working too. I’m going to have to be a detective soon and figure this out. RPM gauge works, speedo and gas gauge do not. I’ll let you know what I find. Right now I am going to start with checking the switches. Is there power to them? If so, replace the switch. Let me know how it all turns out for you. And I’ll do the same.

Last edited:
Hello all. Hoping you might be able to help me learn what might be causing all ground wires behind dash to have positive current on our 2003 challenger x. I’m not sure how or when it happened, but all gauges & switches on dash no longer work. After doing some testing with power probe, we learned that not only is there power on positive dash leads, but there is also power at negative leads.... A friend is guessing that the ECM is likely the problem, but is not certain.
Have any of you had to deal with this issue or know what is the most likely cause of it.

Obvious question:

Has the battery been disconnected lately and reconnected wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back