2002 xp weird water ingestion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

H_smith119

so my friend was on my xp 2 days ago and he said it started taking on water bogged down and flipped (with 2 people on it so I suspect they were moving slow and simply flipped it). he tried to re start it and it locked. he got towed back and I immediately dragged it on the floating dock and pulled the plugs and turned it over. water came out but shortly after it quit turning over and the solenoid just clicked. I jumped the leads and it turned over fine. we pulled it out and checked to see if it was even getting spark because it wouldn't fire. we pulled the stator and checked the ignition pickup and it was fine. couldn't get it started that night. the next morning I realized that I had to click the start button so the ski was in the "on" position. got spark and had fire. re connected the oil pump and put everything back together. got it running and let it run on the trailer off and on to get the water out. from the time it "sank" to running was about 16 hours and it was fresh water. now it fires right up and runs well. I checked compression and both sides have within 4 psi on each. I am planning on getting a new starter relay and double checking all the bolts that I removed. is there anything else I should be checking?

so my friend was on my xp 2 days ago and he said it started taking on water bogged down and flipped (with 2 people on it so I suspect they were moving slow and simply flipped it). he tried to re start it and it locked. he got towed back and I immediately dragged it on the floating dock and pulled the plugs and turned it over. water came out but shortly after it quit turning over and the solenoid just clicked. I jumped the leads and it turned over fine. we pulled it out and checked to see if it was even getting spark because it wouldn't fire. we pulled the stator and checked the ignition pickup and it was fine. couldn't get it started that night. the next morning I realized that I had to click the start button so the ski was in the "on" position. got spark and had fire. re connected the oil pump and put everything back together. got it running and let it run on the trailer off and on to get the water out. from the time it "sank" to running was about 16 hours and it was fresh water. now it fires right up and runs well. I checked compression and both sides have within 4 psi on each. I am planning on getting a new starter relay and double checking all the bolts that I removed. is there anything else I should be checking?
It wouldnt hurt to open up the Ebox's and verify that no water breached the gaskets.

It wouldnt hurt to open up the Ebox's and verify that no water breached the gaskets.
Okay thanks! I just got back from the boat ramp and I backed it in on the trailer and let it idle on the trailer for about 5-10 mins to allow it to heat up. I gave it some gas but not too much for It being on the trailer. Seemed to run fine so when parts get here it’ll be lake day.

Okay thanks! I just got back from the boat ramp and I backed it in on the trailer and let it idle on the trailer for about 5-10 mins to allow it to heat up. I gave it some gas but not too much for It being on the trailer. Seemed to run fine so when parts get here it’ll be lake day.
Glad to hear your machine is running well! If you run into any troubles keep us posted.

also, thought I would mention that I bought this ski 2 years ago for 300$ with a gash in the side and sunken. it has a less than 1 year old engine in it and I have taken good care of it

also, thought I would mention that I bought this ski 2 years ago for 300$ with a gash in the side and sunken. it has a less than 1 year old engine in it and I have taken good care of it
Regardless of how well the engine was taken care of or how old it is, Water ingestion can be devastating. As you mentioned earlier the compression was good. With that out of the way the next largest problem is the water coroding/rusting the internal components of the engine, ie bearings,crank,seals,etc. The sooner you can run the ski at full OT the better. But if its only Thursday you have to wait until than chances are there wont be a catastrophic failure related to corosion or rust.

Regardless of how well the engine was taken care of or how old it is, Water ingestion can be devastating. As you mentioned earlier the compression was good. With that out of the way the next largest problem is the water coroding/rusting the internal components of the engine, ie bearings,crank,seals,etc. The sooner you can run the ski at full OT the better. But if its only Thursday you have to wait until than chances are there wont be a catastrophic failure related to corosion or rust.
okay thanks!!! I have been able to run it on the trailer and I have blimped the throttle a good bit to let her "take some big breaths" I did this to get as much water out as possible. I am concerned that there may be some residual moisture but I will be running a full tank through it on Thursday just to be sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back