2002 Seadoo gtx 4 tea taking on lots of water!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Main problem - Fills up with water at a medium rate in water off or on. No signs of actual holes but there is some hull damage in the fiber glass.

I bought these 2 Seadoo gtx's on craigslist and got them for pretty cheap. One works without any flaws at the moment, the other one had a couple of issues. One issue that I fixed was the wear ring because it was super bad! The other issue is it fills up with water at a moderate rate when just sitting in the water turned off. When I run it it starts to get most of the water out but I still do not know why it fills up in the first place. Before changing the wear ring it would fill halfway up to the top of the engine, now it at most fills up maybe a 1/4 the way up but again it comes out when it runs. I've checked the hull and although its not pretty it doesn't appear to have any holes, just spots with minor fiberglass damage in the front ( not sure if thats the reason why ). The other Seadoo has more fiberglass damage then the other and doesn't fill up at all. Last issue is the check engine beep comes on after running it for about 7-10 minutes. It will still run after the beep fine but with the warning on the display, that might just be a bad sensor or something. When first turned on it always displays maintenance needed.

Have you tried to run the ski on a trailer in the water with the seat opened to try to identify where the leak comes from? Since this is a 4-tec it must be coolant regulated but the exhaust system must be cooled with water. A hole in the muffler could be your issue. However, if it fills up even when just sitting in the water, it could be seals. read this thread:

Opinions on newer Sea-Doo and leaving it in the water

You can reverse the procedure. Put it on the trailer, plugs installed and fill it at least as deep as the waterline would be when sitting in the water. Then look for egress spots on the outside where it drains out (it shouldn't drain anywhere). Typical for that age are.. OPAS tubes (they go from outside side to outside by the pump, they'll run water like stink if cracked or ripped, just thin rubber. Yours has the 'real' OPAS as well so there's a hose on the top of the pump that goes to the OPAS actuators via a splitter above the pump inside the boat. I also had an 06 leak like stink at the bolt holes for the side sponsons. Then of course common to all machines is exhaust hoses, mufflers, carbon ring or its bellows.

yea I've tried to dip it into the water and see where the water comes in, it comes in the from back as far as I can tell. when I pull it out of the water pretty full of water, water comes out of the sides in the picture attached. D50DA7E9-FB6D-44F9-BEF5-5767FDD32C32.jpeg

For the engine check beep it gave me the code p0117, im guessing I need a new sensor or would that be tied to this problem. I just changed my coolant not too long ago.

Not related and those are the OPAS tubes I mentioned, common for the rubber to crack.. You can replace them (semi ignorant job) or by a block off kit that covers all 4 holes in the hull with plates

Yes, get the O.P.A.S block off plates, and perform the O.P.A.S. delete. I have two '02s and had a similar problem with water entering the hull. I backed it down on the boat ramp, removed the seat support, and looked for the leak with a flashlight. The water was coming in from the center O.P.A.S fitting. Riva makes a block off plate for that valve too, but it is sold separately from the block off kit.

Attachments

• OPAS Delete left.jpg
    OPAS Delete left.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 25
  • OPAS Delete top.jpg
    OPAS Delete top.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26
  • OPAS Delete.jpg
    OPAS Delete.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.