2002 GTX DI Crank but no start.after being flooded.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1Trudeau

Yesterday I had let a friend use my jetski while I ran up shore to my car. I came back and rode for another 15 minutes and the engine died. No electrics or anything. Tried to restart would not start. Checked under seat and half the engine was under water. Got towed to shore and started working un getting my trailer. Unfortunatly my friend decided to start the ski while it was still under water, in which it started and ran long enough for her to move it out of the way of another boat. I have pulled it out drained the hull and plugs cranked the water out with in 2 hours of this happening but it now will not start. It will crank without the plugs just fine, and will fire one time and stop the starter but will not fully start. I'm not sure what else I may need to do at this point but have been made aware reading posts that I need to get it fixed quick.

So when you install the plugs the starter won’t turn the engine over enough to start the ski?
When you install the lanyard do you hear the fuel pump come on?
Is your battery fully charged?

So when you install the plugs the starter won’t turn the engine over enough to start the ski?
When you install the lanyard do you hear the fuel pump come on?
Is your battery fully charged?
I put the lanyard on and get the 2 beeps I hear the pump whine and hear it fire once then the starter stops and occasionally it will give me the 2 beeps as if the lanyard is being put back in. I can not at the moment pull out the battery being at work currently but that is my next course of action pulling the battery and making sure it is fully charged.

With the plugs out it will crank the full 8 seconds (beeping 1 per second) before stoping with a long beep if I remember correctly from last night.

Thanks for the quick help didnt think itd be within the first hour.

New battery did not change anything. Lanyard on 2 beeps fuel pump whines, hold start button cranks 3-4 times one fire and it cuts. Could it be the plug wires?

Compression test shows 140 front 133 rear.

Last edited:
Ok so does it actually fire and then cut out?
Maybe pour some gas in the cylinders just long enough to to get it to fire so it can dry out.
7psi is a lot of difference between cylinders.
If you can get it to run just for a few seconds the cylinders can get dried out. Then you can start trouble shooting.

Ok so does it actually fire and then cut out?
Maybe pour some gas in the cylinders just long enough to to get it to fire so it can dry out.
7psi is a lot of difference between cylinders.
If you can get it to run just for a few seconds the cylinders can get dried out. Then you can start trouble shooting.
Pour gas, as in pull off the plugs and put some in then replace plugs?

I can not get it to fire more than the one or two times it fires.

Ok so it does have fire. It has a good battery. Your getting fuel by the sound of the fuel pump. Next you need to figure out if the air compressor is actually pumping air.
I would pull the top of the air compressor off and make sure there is no water in the cylinder.

Any warning lights on the dash?

You have to get ALL the water out of the engine, Put some premix in the spark plug holes. See if it fires. Then take the plugs out; and spin the engine a few times. put in some premix and try to get it to fire. It's wet and it takes a while to get them back running.

Ok so it does have fire. It has a good battery. Your getting fuel by the sound of the fuel pump. Next you need to figure out if the air compressor is actually pumping air.
I would pull the top of the air compressor off and make sure there is no water in the cylinder.

Any warning lights on the dash?
Where is the air compressor. I hate to admit it but I cant point out every part in this like i can a car or truck. I know what it looks like from pictures but they are always extreme close ups.

As far as I have seen I do not believe I have had any warnings sense I replaced the battery. I will look again and pay close attention to any lights / warnings it tries to throw me.

Thanks for the help so far in the 6 years of owning this, this is the first time it hasnt been a straight forward this is what's wrong fix.

You have to get ALL the water out of the engine, Put some premix in the spark plug holes. See if it fires. Then take the plugs out; and spin the engine a few times. put in some premix and try to get it to fire. It's wet and it takes a while to get them back running.
I will do this as soon as I can check the air compressor. Slightly strapped on extra time during the week with work picking up recently.

OP said he had tried this. Can’t hurt to try again. I think it is not getting enough to air to keep it running.

I will do this as soon as I can check the air compressor. Slightly strapped on extra time during the week with work picking up recently.

This is the best picture I could find right now. It is by the PTO on the right side facing the front of the ski. Pull the lid and make sure it is cleared out.
Just remove the top hoses and unbolt the top. Pull it off and clean it good making sure all the passages are clear.
Big positives are you have pumped all the water out and actually got it to fire a couple times. This has bought you some time...not much but you are on the right track. Just keep trying to get it started.

Attachments

• A4A41ADB-1A61-4BAE-90D3-1B06982DB5A0.jpeg
    A4A41ADB-1A61-4BAE-90D3-1B06982DB5A0.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I suggest getting the water out becuase I have done a few flipped and sunken skis. They flat won't run unless you get enough fuel in there to overcome the moisture and wet. That is why I add extra. There is no such thing as getting "all" the water out from my experience. :)

Good call on the air pump. If he got water in there it will break the drive bolt. Mine ran at idle speed after this happened but I'm not sure if that is the case with all.

I know it is difficult but you gotta keep the dip shitz off your equipment. Good Luck man !!

This is the best picture I could find right now. It is by the PTO on the right side facing the front of the ski. Pull the lid and make sure it is cleared out.
Just remove the top hoses and unbolt the top. Pull it off and clean it good making sure all the passages are clear.
Big positives are you have pumped all the water out and actually got it to fire a couple times. This has bought you some time...not much but you are on the right track. Just keep trying to get it started.
Popped the cap off and there is still some water in there. Blew it out with air cap was pretty dry just had a some moisture on it. Piston still moves with the pto.15906006908343249999446967775989.jpg

Cleaned The air compressor. Now with starting fluid it doesnt hesitate to start even starts without starter fluid now. But it cuts after 3-4 fires. Fuel lines next? What will I need for that.

Pull the spark plugs and replace with new or clean them. Pour a cap full of gas oil mix down each cylinder re install plugs and try to get it running long enough for things to catch.
If that doesn’t work might pull the fuel pump from inside the tank and check the internal filters.
Possibly drain the gas and replace with fresh gas and replace all three filters
Pop open the rear e-box and make sure the ignition coils are dried out good.

you are close just keep at it and it will run. Too bad you don’t have a candoo pro that can be plugged in and engine codes read.

Shes starting and running now. Little rough at first but it seems the water in the compressor was what was keeping her down. Now the next step is attempting to run it hot in water if I'm not mistaken.

Yes get a new set of plugs before you go. Ride easy around first with the seat off to see where the water came from in the first place.

Better yet run it on the garden hose and look inside for water leaks. Exhaust manifold, water box etc.

MUST DO THIS IN THIS EXACT ORDER OR YOU WILL FLOOD THE ENGINE AGAIN.
Engine on water on
Water off engine off.
Thanks I was worried about that and had read about people reloading their engines I usually have a dock its sitting on this is the first year I've pulled it home for the summer never had to do the hose

Your engine is acting exactly like all of them I have done. You do not have a problem... the engine is wet. Perservere. You don't need to take anything apart. Blow off the spark plugs, pour a cap a gas in the cylinders install the plugs and get it to fire. As soon as water gets on the plugs it is not going to fire. You have to repeat. Good Luck. :)

Ran it on the hose. No visible leaks but seemed like there may be somthing leaking extremely slowly somewhere I can not see.

Ran it on the hose. No visible leaks but seemed like there may be somthing leaking extremely slowly somewhere I can not see.
Second run on the hose did not have the same signs no evidence of any leaks. Think the first was just water being vibrated out of spots around the engine. Going to put everything back together and head to a lake near by

While on the lake it ran for 5 minutes then killed again maint light this time.

There is a leak but it happens all the time from the rear engine on or off

If I stick my head in the hull I can hear faint water flow sound from rear of hull behind back seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back