2002 GTX 4 Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jstanco

I just purchased a 2002 GTX 4 TEC and after doing a compression test, the jet ski went into limp mode. After reading some posts on this site, I also noticed that when I put in key there are two beeps followed by a long beep. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. Long beep still there.

I need some help getting the PWC out of limp mode. The Jet Ski ran fine before doing the compression test but not since. It appears that something else must have happened in between.

Thank you in advance.

Long beep usually means a problem/fault. I am not sure about the display of this model but you may need a CanDoo diagnostic tool to retrieve the error code. I quickly checked in your operating manual and could not identify that specific sequence. I am afraid that you have an active fault and that only the CanDoo will enable you to identify the issue.

I don't know how you made your compression test but there are specific instructions on how to do it. Hope you followed them to the letter. Make sure everything is reconnected correctly. I only have a much more recent model so my instructions could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. Do you know the correct procedures for compression testing?

Long beep usually means a problem/fault. I am not sure about the display of this model but you may need a CanDoo diagnostic tool to retrieve the error code. I quickly checked in your operating manual and could not identify that specific sequence. I am afraid that you have an active fault and that only the CanDoo will enable you to identify the issue.

I don't know how you made your compression test but there are specific instructions on how to do it. Hope you followed them to the letter. Make sure everything is reconnected correctly. I only have a much more recent model so my instructions could be wrong.
info.

As per manual, 2 short beeps means that the key has been recognized and that the engine is ready to start. When you get a long beep first, it means an issue with the key, DESS post or ECU. However the manual doesn't describe two short beeps followed by a long beep. However, if you press the start/stop button before or after the two beeps and you are getting a long beep, it would suggest that the key (lanyard), DESS post or the ECU has an issue. The manual is not very specific on your exact sequence (page 80). Fried ECU?

I am still trying to figure what this has to do with the compression test.

just throwing this out there- I noticed if I hold my dess key within 1/4" of the post (but not snapped in) it will give one long beep- but if I snap in the dess key, like you normally do- I'll get the 2 quick "okay" beeps. I found this out when my neighbor was fu**ing with me and put a piece of cardboard in my dess key to prevent it from making contact.... don't you just love neighbors with a sense of humor? :rolleyes:

As per manual, 2 short beeps means that the key has been recognized and that the engine is ready to start. When you get a long beep first, it means an issue with the key, DESS post or ECU. However the manual doesn't describe two short beeps followed by a long beep. However, if you press the start/stop button before or after the two beeps and you are getting a long beep, it would suggest that the key (lanyard), DESS post or the ECU has an issue. The manual is not very specific on your exact sequence (page 80). Fried ECU?

I am still trying to figure what this has to do with the compression test.

May have nothing to do with compression test. I was just laying out the facts.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I put in a new gauge so we could read the codes. No error codes reported. I did notice that my key is a learning key. I do not have the other key. I am thinking that maybe it’s set to not go fast but still do not know why there is a long beep while giving it gas and I do not think it even gets up to 5 mph. I am thinking it might be more of a key issue. I guess I would have to find someone in my area that has a diagnostic tool. My dealer near by said he would not work on my year Seadoo. Too old.

Thank you for your help

just throwing this out there- I noticed if I hold my dess key within 1/4" of the post (but not snapped in) it will give one long beep- but if I snap in the dess key, like you normally do- I'll get the 2 quick "okay" beeps. I found this out when my neighbor was fu**ing with me and put a piece of cardboard in my dess key to prevent it from making contact.... don't you just love neighbors with a sense of humor? :rolleyes:
Haha. Yes I have read that even salt could cause the long beep with the key. I have cleaned it out pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back