2002 GTI LE - Potential Value?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TSmith

Looked at a very nice 2002 GTI LE tonight. Local to me, one owner, near perfect condition. Bought and serviced locally. Always used SeaDoo oil. Nice galvanized trailer. Both the Ski and trailer look brand new. Only problem is asking price is over NADA for this machine at $3250. Have to say I've not seen a cleaner one and I've been doing quite a bit of looking this past year. Going to water test tomorrow. Will check compression. From what I can tell the GTI LE is a 717 carb'ed ski, so based on previous advice, less to go wrong vs. the RFI's and DI's.

If all goes well is 3 grand still too much to spend for a ski of this age?

Assuming the rain doesn't stop me, going out to water test this afternoon. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

3K (unfortunately) is right in the price range of 2500-3000 but IMO for that particular ski *(see below) I'm not sure i'd ever pay that much.
But for a 2002, 3K is on the higher end, but acceptable.

Upside, the 717 is pretty dam reliable and fairly fuel efficient (see remarks re: 4tech), if not abused can run forever, easy to work on, and if the engine or other parts go bad, replacements are easy to find, very cheap (by comparison to other models) and almost anybody with half a brain can fix them.

Downsidee, for 4K you can get a non SC 4tech that is just as reliable, a little faster, (your's will be a slow turd), just as if not more fuel efficient, BUT... if a 4tech breaks down its not quite as easy, and not nearly as cheap to fix.

* I'd suggest that if your in the 3K+ price range for a 2 stroke ski you can do better. If you can budget 4K you can do a LOT better. Hell, my 2006 Yamaha is about 22 mph faster than this model, mint condition, and I don't think I could sell it tomorrow for more than 4K.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold this one in the last week or so. 2004 GTI LE with an SBT replacement engine that had about 37 hours on it. BlackTip seat cover and mats. Not looking to make a killing, I sold it for $2000.

image.jpg

Thanks so much. That's exactly where we were on the first purchase. I ended up getting the 2006 GTI SE for $3,800, which I considered to be a steal for a 4-tech. We love it and it does seem very reliable. What I'm looking for in a second ski is one that the wife and daughter can put around on. Neither are speed demons. My son doesn't like to ride with either of them cause he says they go "mommy speed".

I've looked at everything from 97 GTX for around $1,900 all the way through to an 04 Yamaha XLT800 for about $3K. None of them have been in great shape though. Our budget for second ski was $2,500, and it's difficult to find anything in that price range that's not either pretty beat up, or a good deal older. I'm leery of the ones that have had an engine replaced recently, or ones that might need one very soon. Probably not the best time of year to be looking, but quite honestly, I'm about tired of looking and ready to get riding. If I overpay a little bit for this one, I'm probably ok with that because of the shape its in and the potential for reliability of the 717 carb'ed ski. When the kids get older and want more speed( assuming dad can handle that), then I guess we'll cross that bridge, but for now, this should fit or family's needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back