2002 Challenger Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

quick_8

Hello All,
I had recently purchased a challenger (NO MOTOR) and had a few questions. Buy reading a lot of posts, seems like there are very knowledgeable people in this site. Here are a few questions i have...

#1 Will the Mercury Sport Jet 250 Optimax Engine work in this boat, even though it came with 240HP engine?

#2 Where is best place to get a used/rebuilt engine?

#3 Is it best to replace just the parts that i am missing on the jet drive, vs buying a use/rebuilt one? (nozzle/ reverse thing)

#4 What years are the parts (engines/jet drive) interchangeable?

#5 Where do i look to see what model/number jet drive i have? So i can either order parts or replace whole jet drive?

any info would help,

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I thought this post would at least give your thread a bump.

I do know there are a few shops that rebuild these engines but without a core you probably need to find a good used motor or a least a rebuildable core, or possibly a donor boat. Anyway lets let [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] look at this thread and get his opinion before we jump to conclusions.

Lou

Welcome

1) Yes... but the 250 Optimax engine is a 3.0L engine... and you will need it's pump unit. SO... if you get the ENTIRE engine and drive... you can mount it in the hull.

2) eBay? I've seen some complete, running pulls go for under $4k. BUT... if you don't have a good core... then buying something from a rebuild shop will cost you more in the long run, than just going to a Merc dealer, and buying a new "Re-power" unit, in a crate.

3) Since I have NO IDEA what you have or don't have... the question is impossible to answer. Pictures, and a better description would be a better place to start.

4) Impossible to answer since you didn't say what you have now. I guess I could run down a list... but it would be WAY more typing than I'm willing to do, since there are a bunch of combo's. But as above... if you want the 250... it's all specific to that engine.

5) The pump doesn't have an ID tag. AND, since you didn't give us all the info on your boat... it could have been a 210 carb, 200 Opti, or the 240 EFI. Your pump is the "M2" drive... but the gear ratios, and top mount will be different for the different engines.

in 2002, there was an 18' and a 20' Challenger. So... I would start there. Along with good pictures of what you have. From that point... we can start to walk down the path of "the best method to get you running".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dr Honda.

You have some very valid points. Let me start again.... its a 2002 20' Seadoo Challenger.

#1 Is $5500 is good for a complete engine? (Computer/Fuel Injectors/Ect) less then 5hrs (ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151176651024?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#2 Is $3500 is complete jet drive unit came (off of engine above) less then 5hrs (ebay)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181270787698?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#3 Are expansion chambers the same for all engines from 200HP-250HP?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261176447243?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#4 I looked @ the wear ring and found some nice gouges in it, so looks like i will just go with a new/used jet pump set up.

#5 Yes I know buy the time I add/buy these two parts, I could buy a complete boat, running and have to do nothing but enjoy the boat. The way I see it is, new motor/drive. I know how many hours are on engine/drive and know all the in/outs of it. I only paid $500 for boat/trailer, so I couldn't pass that up.

#6 Is the Optimax a good reliable engine?

any info is greatly appreciated

#1 and #2: It feels a little expensive for a used engine. (regardless the time) This is based off of the fact that there isn't any warranty. Personally, I would contact them, and say you want both parts to re-power a boat, and see if they will give you a deal. THEN... contact Mercury, and see what a full, NEW, Jet system would cost. (with a warranty)

3) No. But, if you are buying both parts... jet tell the shop you need it. I'm sure they still have it.

4).....

5) That's fine. I'm all about projects... but I'm sure you can find a lower cost replacement.

6) Yes... the Opti engiens are great. If you bought a new Mercury 200 Opti Sportjet system... it will run 10 years without an issue.

Well i thought i would update this.
Dr. Honda i bought the engine and jet drive off of eBay, opened the boxes.....saw that impeller/wear ring gap was out of spec (per manual) replaced wear ring. Installed pump in hull, installed both cables. I was like this is going to smoothly.

This is where i ran into trouble, went to install the engine adapter plate (inside boat) and since boat came with a 240hp engine NOT the optimax 250. The engine adaptor plate hits the transom. Scratching my head on what to do.....will attach some pics when i can.

Has anyone swapped or has a 250 optimax in their challenger? If so do you have any pics?

Thanks Jeff

I'll have to look at the install guides again... but I thought they had all the same mounting dimensions.

If its just a small touch... can you grind/cut the mount for clearance?

Please post the pics, so I can see it.

Dr. Honda, Here are some pics of the adaptor plate from both the 240 and 250 engines. You can see that that the 250 is a bit longer. I don't have a pic of the 250 adaptor plate in the boat yet. (But i can tell you that you CAN NOT just trim transom) I had to actually cut it. Might start another thread showing the difference between the 240/250 and what it takes to install itCIMG1686.JPGCIMG1687.JPGCIMG1688.JPGCIMG1689.JPGCIMG1690.JPG

Dr Honda,

So i have been busy with work and trying to figure out how to get this 250HP engine to fit inside my boat. A little bit of trimming and fiberglassing it fits. Just installed engine this morning. Have to take out and modify the tow pole (due to plastic cover hits it). Will post some pic when i get time......

Great !!! I'm glad it was able to be shoe-horned in.

I guess there are some size restrictions on the different hulls... but I knew the engines were supposed to live in the same space.

And yes... please post up all the pics you can.

Dr Honda,
Here you go.....will get more pics once i upload to computer
air intank.jpg had to trim here for air filter/cover to fit

boat engine back view.jpg had to move tow pole up about 6"

boat engine other back view.jpg port side view of air plenum hitting tow pole

boat engine.jpg engine in boat, can NOT use black engine cover, engine hits it

side view boat engine.jpg little cut i had to do for expansion chamber to clear, engine cover strength is still solid

more pics

cut transom.jpg outside view after the cut

inside view of transom.jpg inside view of the cut

transom mold.jpg transom mold

glassed inside transom.jpg inside view (10 layers of 1708 glass)

outside transom view.jpg outside view (10 layers of 1708 glass)

more pics of finished product with gel coat

transom rework.jpg in this pic you can see the 250 HP powerhead plate is larger then 240HP, this is why transom had to be cut

transom work.jpg another pic form the inside

Hi Guys,
I'm not this forum and I have the same issue quick_8 has in that I have a 2002 X20 challenger with no motor. Would it be possible to use a complete outbaord power in this Boat? Or do i have to look of mercury 240 jet engine?

Joemaccars,
I would stick With a 240hp engine. But if you got lots of money to burn, then go 250hp route. (Little bit of money/time/stress) to do, but do able. I would pull jet drive out of boat, inspect gear oil, wear ring/impeller clearances, stator cone, and stator oil before anything. If your jet pump housing is bad/cracked, let me know I have a few of them and parts laying around. Keep us posted

Hi quick_8,
Thanks for the help, looks like I'm just going to have to get rid of the boat I can't seem to find any of those 240 motors anywhere that's why I was hoping I would be able to us a 2.5L EFI outboard from around the same year. Thanks again for the response and help.

Joe,
I bet if you did some homework you might find that they might fit. Only problem I see is maybe the input shaft may e different? Do you have the engine base adaptor plate? Pics are always useful/good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back