2001 XP Restoration - engine mount

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Wolverine

On the 951 engine in my 2001 XP, I noticed the rear of the engine, next to exhaust pipe, moves. The other 3 corners are bolted down, no play, but the 4th corner (next to exhaust pipe) sits on a rubber grommet (#51 below). I can lift the engine at this point. Is this working as designed? All the bolts appear to be in tact and tight.

1683571271082.png

The 951 only has 3 mounting points, two at the back and one at the front. The mounts are rubber so there should be some movement but none should move off their mounts. You cna check with a prybar.

mikidymac: thank you. Yes 3 mounting points. Front tight, cannot move at all. Rear (under carbs) tight no movement. Rear at exhaust sits on rubber, but I can lift about 2 inches. Working as designed?

mikidymac: thank you. Yes 3 mounting points. Front tight, cannot move at all. Rear (under carbs) tight no movement. Rear at exhaust sits on rubber, but I can lift about 2 inches. Working as designed?
No, if you can move it more that about 1/4" you have a broken mount.

mikidymac: apologies to bother you with this... I doubled checked, I can lift about 1/2". Actually the rubber cone that is attached to bottom mount lifts off the bottom of the base (1/2" or so), nothing seams broken/loose. Was the rubber cone glued to bracket or is the 13mm bolt that feeds down into the rubber cone suppose to screw into the bottom bracket? The bolt is tight (I cannot turn with wrench). ps... with all the help you have given me already, I owe you a beer.

If you can lift the rubber from the plate then yes, the mount is bad. The rubber is vulcanized to the plate so when they go bad the rubber separates and has to be replaced.
It is most critical on the HX and 1997+ XP's because you will ruin the front driveshaft and PTO on these if the engine moves too much.

Mikidymac: Thanks. I'll add it to my list of things to do. Renaming this restoration project to "the money and time pit".

I wonder if you couldn't remove the mount, and reattach the rubber to the plate using something like Marinetex 5200.

No, it will not hold up. Just buy a new mount and get it fixed correctly. They are about $50.

Back