2001 xp carb issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc2009

OK, im going to be as detailed as possible in this. Please bare with me on the novel.

I own a 2001 XP. Was running great until it was suberged in the summer of 08. Reason for it sinking is unknown.

It sat till spring of 09 with WD-40 on the cylinders. Finally got the time to tear into it and found the motor was ceased(I know go figure). Got some advise to use radiator fluid in the cylinders to try and knock out any corrosion. I let that sit for 48hrs and was able to turn the motor over.

Cleared the cylinders as much as possible of the "chocolate milk". After that I proceeded to rebuild the carbs. Got the help of a mechanic who own some ski's in past. order the rebuild kit from SBT and finished with no extra parts to my knowledge. Did find the the vacum side of the carbs are completely plugged. tried to soak them in some kinda ether like substance(can't remember the name) with no success. Called a dealership and they said it shouldn't effect the performance to a noticeable effect. After reinstalling the carbs I drained the fuel tank and oil reservoir completely and added Seadoo oil and regular 87 with 1 bottle sea foam fuel treatment.

At this point I tried to fire it up. Was able to get sporadic idling. At this point I skimmed through your website and took on the daunting task of replacing the fuel lines. a few cuts and swearing afterwards I tried to start it again.

low speed screws at 1 1/2 did nothing. turned to about 1 3/4 - 2 and was able to get some sputtering and eventually a idle (don't remember the exact Rpm but i know it was whatever is stamped on the hood). sat on the trailer at an idle for 5 minutes on a hose. reved it slightly and the motor took off.

Figure i would try tuning it in the water and see if i could avoid the run away hassles (I have a broken choke cable XD). got in the water and did a little tunning on the carbs. fired it up and ran it at 3/4 to WOT for about 5minutes came back to the dock and reved down to an idle and it died. started over with the carbs and got it to idle but nothing else. I could get it fired right up and it would die as soon as i touched the throttle.

My current synopsis is I have a stuck float. but at this point I have no clue. Im willing to except that the problem is above my knowledge and skill level but the closest seadoo dealer won't service 2strokes older then 5yrs. I can take it back to wear i bought it but their +100 miles away.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated along with any kind of referrals to a good mechanic in the Central Texas area (Austin).

Carbs

What do you mean by "the vacuum side of the carbs are completely plugged" ?
DAWG

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto / vacume side? you mean fuel pump side?
anything that is plugged in a carb is a issuse
never get advice from that dealer again that told you its not a issue!!!
if any passage way, in any carb, is clogged, its no good
try to clean them again and verifiy that all passages are free and clear
high and low speed screws, return hole on fuel pump side, ect
if you cant squirt carb cleaner thru these holes and see it come out the other side, then this is a problem and the ski will never run right.
and not to get you worried, but if that ski sat that long with water/milk in it.
this will greatly shorten the life of that engine, bottom end bearings could have rust pitts on them and this will lead to bearing failure.
good luck
mud

Pull the RAVES too, and clean those.

As for carbs, did you use the springs from inside the "rebuild" package, if so, i'd say, its 90% of your problem. Replace those with the oem/old style ones, clean your raves, and like "mud" said, clean/clear your accellerator pump and fittings, AND your ski will be ready.:cheers:

My understanding of rave valves were they effected the top end side. Im not saying that they shouldn't be cleaned but would that have any inpact on the ski dieing when i get it a little gas?

Let me see if i understand this corectly about the carbs. With a Fuel excelerator pump, It keeps a constant pressure to the carbs. what ever fuel is not used by the carb is returned to the fuel accelerator and then sent right back to the carbs in one continuous loop? If this is the case then what i call the vacuum side is accually the return side that goes back to the accelerator pump and im flooding the motor everytime i touch the gas. Can sombody confirm this?

Thanks for the input mudpie and seadooya.

I don't understand what you mean by "the vacuum side".
The fuel pump draws fuel from the fuel tank and pumps it to the "float bowl" side of the carb and the excess fuel goes back to the fuel tank through the return line. The accelerator pump draws fuel from the "float bowl" side of the carb and squirts it into the throat of the carb and has no return line. The only time the accelerator pump comes into play is when you depress the throttle.
It sounds like you are running lean. You are going to have to remove those carb and clean them properly. You were misinformed by your dealer.
What do you mean by "Got some advise to use radiator fluid in the cylinders to try and knock out any corrosion."? Did you put antifreeze in the engine?

"Cleared the cylinders as much as possible of the "chocolate milk"." You are going to have to completely rebuild the engine if it was locked up. Or you could just ride it and wait until it comes apart by itself.;)

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back