2001 Seadoo Utopia 185 240 Merc

Status
Not open for further replies.

midcoast

Hello fellow Seadoo Merc owners, I am embarrased to say i dont know if the boat I just bought is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. The amount of fuel it uses im guessing its a 2 stroke. The boat sat wrapped for 14 years on the trailer and only had 2 tanks of gas go thru it. Ive done the warm up on the engine slow and steady, but I wanted to know if there are any known issues with this engine or boat in general. It starts great, tops out around 55MPH smokes very little for its age. Any insight would be appreciated from trusted sources.

If it is a Merc engine, it definitely is 2-stroke.
Wrapped 14 years? Sounds like a good barn find. Probably less than 100 hours on it. You should have some good years left.

Many threads here about this engine.

If it is a Merc engine, it definitely is 2-stroke.
Wrapped 14 years? Sounds like a good barn find. Probably less than 100 hours on it. You should have some good years left.

Many threads here about this engine.
Hello again, I am also having a really hard time replacing the seat upholstery as given the age of the boat the seats cracked and split pretty easy any thoughts or connections to suppliers in Ontario or Quebec Canada?

Tim75 thank you. What other service should I be having done to this 01 Utopia? Ive had fhe throttle cable replaced and greased. Changed the spark plugs, what type of oil do you recommend?
Should I get the injectors cleaned?

Thank you in advance.

I use Mercury High performance gear oil for--- gearbox and stator. It is fortified to keep working even if it gets some water in it. Engine oil- I use Mercury Premium Plus or Mercury Premium oil. Others use Pennzoil Semi-synthetic with good results. Be careful mixing brands. Sometimes they don't do well together.

Injectors- Depends how it runs. If it runs smoothly up to about 6200 rpm, they are probably OK. If you need to have them serviced, you will need to order the gaskets under the throttle body.

Change the gear and stator oil. 2 quarts and a hand pump from WalMart. Detailed instructions at top of this page.

Check steering and shift cables. Move nozzle and gate from stern. Not crunching or grinding sounds allowed. You probably should replace the steering and shift rubber bellows. Yours are 14 years old. Merc has them on a 1 year maintenance schedule.

Upholstery- There was someone here that made upholstery "kits" for SeaDoo boats for the DIYer. He is somewhere here in the states. Don't know anybody in Ca.

When you get it to start, make sure you have water coming out of the pee hole. If none, you may have a bug that made a home in the hose.

Tim75,

Thanks for all this info on my boat, I will ask my marine mechanic to do the work you suggested. However I have yet to find anyone who can do the seats or make seat covers it seems ive got the 1 model of Seadoo that nobody wants to work on.. i hope thats not a bad sign.

It is not the one model. No dealer wants to work on these. Sometimes upside down. Or standing on the ground wrenching an outboard. They all prefer outboards. Merc and Seadoo had a breakup about 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back