2001 Seadoo Sportster LE. Just got it!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it sounds like the carbs need to be rebuilt. Old spark plugs can also make the motors run rough. Either way, you don't have many warm days left to use it anyways :(
Wow, is carb rebuilt a big deal? All it is something I can take off the engine without disturbing most of the other parts.
I think I will only put it into the water a couple more times with my friend just to test engine.
Is there anyway I can "tune/test" my engine on the trailer? with a garden hose to the flush port? What should I be aware?

See above. Just ask the PO, they should be glad to tell you. If they ask why, just say "I've heard that they shouldn't be mixed and I wanted to use the same oil".
I txted him. He said:"Injection oil, 2 stroke marine"

To get the oil out, use a transfer pump such as this. I just did this recently on my boat. See this thread for more info.
One more item on my shopping list :)

rust on the engine seal

I noticed that there is a rust along a seal between 2 parts. I don't even know the name of the parts yet.:blush:

Is this any sign of leaking?1.JPG

When it is in neutral, I couldn't get the RPM up to keep it running. I had to switch to forward and then push the throttle up to keep the engine going. Is the shift position somehow affect the engine? I though the shift position only has a mechanical link to the rear bucket.

I managed to get the engine running and boat was moving at low speed, and I got the boat out of the harbor no problem. What it is on the water running no problem. I was cruising around for 5 - 10 minutes. Worried about the boat will stop on me, so I drove it back to the dock. When I was close to the dock, I put the throttle to idle, it idled for about 30 seconds, then stopped.
Do you think I need to anything immediately?

I will get the Super Clean. When I wash the bay. Can I spray water on the engine? I guess I only need to stay away from the battery, the computer, fuse boxes, all the electronics stuff right? And I need to open the two small drain plugs at the bottom of the board?

I think you should plan on rebuilding the carburetors and replacing the fuel lines, basically clean the entire fuel system as best you can. The gray fuel lines tend to dissolve internally from fuel, and the pieces of dissolved fuel line are pushed into the carburetors, clogging them and making the engine run rough and lose power, rough idle, and generally poor performance. Plan on rebuilding the carbs at some point if the engine isn't running properly, easier and less expensive for a neubie to rebuild or even replace a couple of carburetors than troubleshoot an electric fuel pump and fuel injection system, IMO. Arguably, the carbs can rebuilt or replaced with new ones, we have this discussion on the seadoo board often (replace or rebuild), I rebuild many carbs on customer boats every year due to trash and gum building up in the fuel system over the period of a few years in the fuel system causing problems. This happens b/c of the moisture and lack of use, the fuel gets stale in just a few weeks and corrosive, so gum and varnish deposits occur. fuel conditioner like stabil can extend the life of fuel, and is a good idea to use during winter storage periods. Some people put stabil in their fuel at every fill-up, I think this is unnecessary if the fuel will be consumed within a few weeks.

The engine once warm, should not die at throttle idle, the throttle linkage can't be moved if the shifter isn't in full forward position, I think. The steering is also connected to the throttle and will increase engine speed slightly when the steering is at full left or right lock position, this feature assists the captain to maneuver the boat. Do you recall the engine idle speed? It may be set too lwo and needs to be increased slightly. I have mine set for out of water idling at 3000RPM, in water it idles slightly less than 1500RPM b/c the pump impeller is pushing water continuously and presents a constant load which slows the engine.

If you start the engine with boat on the trailer and the engine races, sometimes it cannot be stopped unless the choke is pulled. This is called a runaway and can happen under the right circumstances. So remember to pull the choke in this case, to stop the engine from racing.

Yes, open the two bilge drain plugs when hosing down inside the bilge, also it's an opportunity to test the bilge pump automatic function, so some puddle of water in the area of the bilge pump can help accomplish this. Avoid a large puddle of water to flood the electric starter motor under the carburetors, and avoid getting water into the plastic air box mounted on the carbs, also getting water in the carbs is undesirable. I hosed off much of the rest of everything, I removed the battery from the bilge and hosed it off too, to wash off any corrosive acid, and used a wire brush on the terminals of the battery and cables. Once clean, a light coating of dielectric terminal grease will help to protect the terminals from oxidation and delay corrosion.

My boat had salt inside when I brought it home, so I carefully hosed off all the water-resistant wiring harness including the MPEM. Otherwise, it should be avoided to get the electric harness and black MPEM "computer" wet.

Turn off the battery switch when charging the starting battery, some chargers can damage the MPEM computer with too much voltage. Many marine batteries die an early death from being over charged(I see this often, an owner will connect and leave a charger too long), so no need to go nuts trying to charge the battery, a good quality automatic charger should be used, and if the battery is in good condition an automatic float charger is all that's needed to keep it well maintained. I haven't needed to charge my battery since buying my boat, although I do connect my automatic float charger for one night after winterizing, and before restarting in spring, perhaps once or twice during winter. A battery in good condition and disconnected (such as by the battery switch) should hold it's charge for a couple of months before needing an automatic float charge to top it up. I sometimes forget to turn off my battery switch and come back a couple weeks later, the battery still has a good charge and the boat starts normally. Avoid jump starting the boat from another vehicel, for the reasons of too much voltage. We can discuss the details further as we go.

You may need to increase your idle speed stop screw slightly, if your engine dies at idle, but do thid only if the boat is running strong othersiwe. It's most likely your carbs have gum and trash in them and should be rebuilt, especially if the engine isn't making power like it should, and if it's running rough.

Trash in your fuel system is one of your engines biggest enemies b/c the fual carries lubricant with it throughout the 2 stroke engine and thus if there's a lack of fuel there will be a lack of lubricant. If the eninge is stumbling, stalling, and not making power as it should, it's quite likely due to trash, gum and corrosion in the fuel system has plugged the fine fuel passages in the carburetors.

Or, if only dieing at aidle, that idle speed screw may need to be adjusted, but if the fuel system has never been gone through throughly, then it's on borrowed time and under the right set of circumstances can cause engine damage, (a compression check can help determine this).

I noticed that there is a rust along a seal between 2 parts. I don't even know the name of the parts yet.:blush:

Is this any sign of leaking?View attachment 22352

My guess is it's just slight moisture stains, there should be no water leaking from theis gasket joint while the boat is runing in water and if there is, the gasket will need to be replaced. Otherwise if no leaks from there, it's just water stains from normal moisture.

Nobody has noted any leakage from this particular location that I'm aware of, the joint from this manifold to the black exhaust manifold above is known to leak though, and water can enter the carburetors. There is a special assembly procedure involved using new gaskets so don't just go messing with the exhaust manifold mounting bolts until after reading about how it should be done.

There are many aspects of the exhaust system you will need to learn about, vibration can cause issues as well as corrosion, especially in salt water environments.

My guess is it's just slight moisture stains, there should be no water leaking from theis gasket joint while the boat is runing in water and if there is, the gasket will need to be replaced. Otherwise if no leaks from there, it's just water stains from normal moisture.

Nobody has noted any leakage from this particular location that I'm aware of, the joint from this manifold to the black exhaust manifold above is known to leak though, and water can enter the carburetors. There is a special assembly procedure involved using new gaskets so don't just go messing with the exhaust manifold mounting bolts until after reading about how it should be done.

There are many aspects of the exhaust system you will need to learn about, vibration can cause issues as well as corrosion, especially in salt water environments.

I learned a lot from playing other mechanical systems / toys: Tearing apart a working system and clean them and put them back, hoping it will work better. But lack of knowledge always leaves a big pile of parts sitting and taking me long time to get everything back.

Please do all these things tonight before dark, and report back on your thread! :)

Seriously? Just a big deal for me to put the boat into the water and pull it out. I need to find a parking lot to practice more with a trailer.

How about I get a compression meter and test the compression for the two cylinders as my first thing to wet my feet into "boating".

Does "rebuild" means taking it apart and cleaning them and put it back, or machining is involved? Thanks.

You may need to increase your idle speed stop screw slightly, if your engine dies at idle, but do thid only if the boat is running strong othersiwe.

When the owner was driving the boat with me last Friday, the engine sounded pretty powerful to me. RPM was around 6500K to 7000K, the speed was very fast too (30 to 35 RPM i remember).
Can I say it is "running strong"? All I need to get it back into the water and try it with my buddy on board?

If you start the engine with boat on the trailer and the engine races, sometimes it cannot be stopped unless the choke is pulled. This is called a runaway and can happen under the right circumstances. So remember to pull the choke in this case, to stop the engine from racing.
With water into the flush port, how long can I keep the motor running. I would like to test this "idle" issue in my drive way if possible.

With water into the flush port, how long can I keep the motor running. I would like to test this "idle" issue in my drive way if possible.

In theory, with the hose connected you can run the engine for long periods.

This issue is, the drive shaft. You should have a carbon seal and or the graspable fitting if it has been converted for some reason. The seals are cooled and leak by debasing when in the water. Out of the water, when the shaft is spinning, (which is always assuming all things are hooked up) the seal can not cool. It is easily damaged. You can put water in the hull to by time or have a second hose spraying it from under the boat.

Beast place it to let it run back in at the ramp..

When the owner was driving the boat with me last Friday, the engine sounded pretty powerful to me. RPM was around 6500K to 7000K, the speed was very fast too (30 to 35 RPM i remember).
Can I say it is "running strong"? All I need to get it back into the water and try it with my buddy on board?

Yes, I think you might find the idle speed is set too low, mine was too. I adjusted the idle stop screw on mine the first day I began using it, the idle was too low. This screw is one of two screws on top of the forward carburetor, it's orientation is in the horizontal plane and it's under the rubber flap (water shield) above the forward carb (this is the magneto carb).

I probably turned in this screw about 1/4 turn, if I recall, it slightly opened the throttle butterflies to increase idle speed.

But, if your fuel system hasn't been gone through, you need to put this on your list of things that need doing, IMO.

BTW, my boat seems to cruise best around 5200~5300 RPM, I don't run it full throttle for long periods of time (1 or 2 minutes max, just to test full speed), and I don't put the pedal to the metal when I drive my car either, I believe it's hard on the engines and can cause an early death. Running down the entire length of a lake at full throttle is asking for engine trouble, IMO

Best to make idle adjustment on the water, I make a small adjustment then put boat in the water to test. Should not idle more than 1500 RPM in water, on trailer about 3000-> 3100RPM is all you want to see, not more than that. To fast of idle can cause engine runaway on trailer.

I think my idle speed in water is currently around 1400RPM, and it seems happy there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? Just a big deal for me to put the boat into the water and pull it out. I need to find a parking lot to practice more with a trailer.
Take your time. The boating season is basically over for us Northerners. You'll have all winter to work on it.

How about I get a compression meter and test the compression for the two cylinders as my first thing to wet my feet into "boating".

Does "rebuild" means taking it apart and cleaning them and put it back, or machining is involved? Thanks.
You will eventually need a compression tester, but probably not an urgent purchase as you have running motors. Carb rebuild involves tearing down, replacing gaskets, doing a pop-off test, replacing/cleaning internal filters, etc. There are many posts on here on how to do that along with videos that show certain steps also. I believe that Dr. Honda offers a rebuild service as well.

It is reaching the RPM speed that it should. Did you check the speed on the dream-o-meter (aka boat spedo) or GPS?

Last edited by a moderator:

You can say it's running strong at full throttle, and that's encouraging, indicative there are no problems at full throttle (except my boat tachs to 6500 max and my speed is 42MPH, your mileage is going to vary. I've never seen 7000 RPM except with my boat at full throttle while tied to the dock( A tree actually, with a long rope and boat in deep water), or if the boat hits a wake and comes out of the water.

My jet pump has some slight damage to the impeller and vanes though, which might explain why I don't see more RPM, and the impeller may have been replaced as well, it has a bronze pump on it and I don't think they came that way from the factory, so someone may have changed some parts around.

It's good enough for me, considering I've sucked a few small rocks/gravel through it, I can't complain!

Communicate with the PO

The PO said that No idling problem on him. He suggested to hold the choke plug till the idle evens out. Which I didn't do, instead of hold the choke, I kept holing the red button.

He said the worst scenario the carbs require cleaning again.

Himself has done a lot on bikes, boats, cars and snowmobiles. Seems a lot..

The PO said that No idling problem on him. He suggested to hold the choke plug till the idle evens out. Which I didn't do, instead of hold the choke, I kept holing the red button.

He said the worst scenario the carbs require cleaning again.

Himself has done a lot on bikes, boats, cars and snowmobiles. Seems a lot..

Okay, so maybe he already cleaned the fuel system and knows how to preform the maintenance, that would explain why it still runs strong.

They are sold natured, I hold my throttle slightly open during warm up, it's a force of habit I have with carbed engines and I even do it with fuel injected engines, LOL. Maybe I idle this engine when cold in water around 2000-2200RPM, something like that, I go by feel and sound.

I don't run it much at all, less than 30seconds, out of water. I've never connected a flush hose to it. The reason is, it's unnecessary, I'm at the water, actually my boat is on a lift continuously, even during winter.

The procedures I use:

I start it briefly for maybe 30 seconds once removing from the water to blow the cooling water out of the exhaust, you can hear the exhaust tone change, then shut it off.

If I'm going to leave the boat unused for more than a week, I also fog the engine on the trailer(in my case boat lift) in the water just before removing from the water, I squirt about 1/2oz of 2 stroke oil into each carb while running a fast idle until I see a plume of smoke, then shut if off and pull it out. Immediately after it's out I fire it off for 30secinds to blow out the water. Fogging done!

You can run on flush hose connected at the jet pump for up to 3 minutes, longer will cause drive shaft carbon seal to overheat. You can run engine without cooling water circulation only for 30 seconds or less.

30.jpg

Going super clean it :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Red black and blue wires are for the add on fish finder and CD player. I should add a cut off switch to prevent it from draining the battery.
31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Better get busy, you're quickly running out of daylight! :) (Kidding, you're supposed to be taking your time. The boating experience is supposed to be therapeutic, and if approached correctly justifies the expense vs other alternatives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back