2001 Seadoo Challenger 1800 OOPS!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JHG120

Guys,
Went to look at said boat for sale. Long story short, located 2 nice sized rocks when looking into rear jet drive. Seller is mechanic, took apart rear end, and when he took off the assembly, a large amount or blueish/green fluid came out. He said it smelled like oil. There is a tube that goes to the top of the jet drive where it looks like the fluid was stored. What fluid is this? Do I need to refill now since it all spilled out? Is this a bad case scenario or an easy fix of adding fluid? Thanks all!!

That is a mercury powered boat and there are less people familiar with them. Someone should come along and help you. Sounds like the cone oil, but im not sure how the Merc boats store it. My opinion is that if the previous owner is clueless about it, then how much maintenance do you think he has done to this boat? I would reconsider buying it.

Well, the overall condition of the boat is almost flawless. I'm not saying that means he did regular maintance, but it does look good, and it did run very nice. I see what you're saying, and hopefully someone will come along and add some input. Thanks so much for the reply.

That's gear lube oil that goes in the stator, which is the cone-like piece with 2 Allen screws on top. Need to put oil back in it. The other place to get gear lube oil is gearbox, which is accessed by 2 flat head screws at front of intake grate. Gearbox gets about 2x as much oil as stator. You'll love the boat....what's he asking for it?

Ok. Here is the listing:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/2528034282.html

Alright, so I have to physically put oil back in thru the 2 allen screws near the cone, or from the inside where the engine is? I see a line that goes to the cone area. The seller is taking the boat to a mechanic for compression test, etc. this week, so will mention this needs attention.

So far, $8500 is price with alot of accessories. 2 sets of O'Brien skis, adults and children. 2 wake boards. Life jackets. 1 one person and 1 five person tube. All ropes and a new boat cover. Is this good package, price? Thanks for the reply as well.

Yes, those 2 locations are the only spots to change out oil each winter. The line that you see pushes out water I think. You need to get a gear lube filler pump that screws onto gear lube bottle to fill. Manuals on this site explain it all. Definitely need comp test numbers within +/- 5-10 range. Walk away if any compression # is low or zero, unless he'll sell for half price. Taken a test ride? Need to do that. Looks like 240
EFI which is what I have in my X20.

Excellent. I did a test ride yesterday. It ran great, which to me was turning on each time, forward and reverse, and throttle very responsive. Speedo read 58 MPH, but I've heard they aren't very good. We did porpose a lot, but have been reading on the trim plate, which I remember was flat, so I'll adjust that down and hope to get rid of porpose. Boat is going in tomorrow, so hopefully this weekend, if all is good, I'll be boating. I'll also pass the info on the lube to the boat shop. Thanks again for the help.

About these two flat head screws. I was replacing my inlet grate on my 2001 Seadoo Challenger 1800 (Mercury V6 240EFI single engine) and I made the mistake of removing one of those screws. a dime sized dab of oil came out and I quickly put the screw back in. It smelled like oil but slightly different. Sounds like it was this gear lube you guys are talking about.

Two questions:
1. Do I have to physically remove the Stator to change its oil/lube? I know how to access the filler cap, but is there a way to drain it without removal?

2. That section where I removed the screw, was that for the gear box? If so, do I simply unscrew it again, drain the oil into a container, then use a gear lube pump to re-add oil?

Here's the gear lube pump I'm looking at:
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/gear-lube-pump-p39.html

Thanks so much for your help!!
Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back