2001 seadoo challenger 1800 m210 no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

4cefed370

Hi, so I replaced motor ran it for a yr everything good and then all a sudden no start.. checked kill switch ok and then I didnt have time so I brought to a guy my friend knew. He took a while to get to it but he told me I needed a stator and one cdi module. I let it sit for a while and then I decided Im gonna troubleshoot myself vause the modules are very expensive. So then I ohm tested the stator leads frim outer and inner switch box and on the outter box I had 5M ohms and on the inner 5k ohms
The manual says anything over 4.5k ohms and the stator needs to be replaced

So Im not very experienced with 2strokes nor boats so I know rhe stator charges the battery but my issue cause it jot to run?

Also where do you recomend picking uo a new stator from and are the aftermarkets reliable?

Thanks very much

A stator is the STATionary part of a ROtating system. Whether pump or generator.

In this case, the stator in combination with the magnets in the flywheel, creates the electricity to charge the battery.

Once the flywheel has been removed, it is a simple process to replace the stator . One wire at a time. Make sure that none of the wires can touch the flywheel. You will need a Merc flywheel puller from ebay. Before you replace the stator, the voltage regulators should be checked. (Cheaper!)

Sources:
ebay.
Crowley Marine.
BAMMarine.
Any Mercury dealer.

You will need the engine serial number.
Stator price runs from $200-$350. Coil price from $10-$80. CDI brand seems to be OK.

Ok where are the voltage regulators and how to test if its easy to explain..
As far as the stator goes I performed the ohm test on inner amd outer box leads and the outter box was way high and manual says to replace , so I assume I should replace in this case?

I found a stator from an online vendor (POWERSPORTSid) for $125 but its aftermartket unit so Im not sure its worth the risk. I checked seadoo warehouse but didnt find on their site, waiting on an email from them about it

Thanks

Ya I just checked out crowley it says they have it for $341. But theyre saying its oem so i guess thats why. I also see theres a trigger plate.. does this usually get replaced with stator as a preventative maintenance item?

Hello,
I replaced my stator with an aftermarket also because of the cost difference and have had no issues with it. While I had everything apart I also replaced the trigger. When you have the flywheel off check your magnets because on mine the adhesive had broken down and (2) of them were loose.
Mike

The trigger is not a maintenance item. Only replaced when it fails.

Mike D. is correct about the magnets under the flywheel. If they were to separate at 6000 rpm would cause serious (read expen$ive) damage. If there is damage, consider replacing the flywheel.

Make sure you order parts with your engine serial number.

Regulators on starboard side of engine. Abour 1 x 2 x 2 inch. Has yellow, red, gray wires. Check service book for testing.

I have not had any issues with CDI brand (yet).

Thankyou so much for the help guys.. would you recommend changing the voltage regulator since its prob as old as the boat?

Also just because I dont understand what the outer box or inner box is on the stator do u mind explaining to me in short ? I am just trying to figure out if the outter box having such high resistance will cause my no spark situation and if it could have wiped out the cdi module as a previous guy told me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back