2001 Sea Doo Islandia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlowis

Hello all. New to the forum so this is my first post.

We own a 2001 Sea Doo Islandia. Awesome boat with a ton of deck space. The only complaint is the loss of control at lower speeds. I know that is a common "problem" with jet propelled watercraft. Easier to control the smaller wave runners, not so much on a 23 foot "giant" with a shallow V. Unfortunately, we boat in an area that has many no wake zones requiring slower speeds...difficult, to impossible, with this boat and still be able to steer it. Does anyone know if the jet and/or steering can be modified to give more control at lower speeds?

Thank you.

Hi & welcome.

Dr Honda is the resident merc expert. Hopefully he will chime in shortly.

Where in Michigan are you?

Honestly... once you get use to a jet... it has more control than an I/O.

With that said... if your idle is low... your control wont' be very good. It should be in the 1000~1100 rpm range. Also... there should be a small throttle boost when you turn the wheel sharp. (Personally, that annoyed me, and I disconnected it)

So... what exactly are you having control issues with?

These are boats that need practice. Once you get the feel for it, you will find it can be as easy, if not easier to manuever then an I/O. Many will recommend that steering and control are a combination of full lock-to-lock steering and moving your shift lever in and out of neutral.

I get the most steering control when my wheel is either full left or full right. (lock-to-lock) And I do believe that my throttle boost is disabled as well, as I don't get a surge at full lock either. I do know that when working a dock or landing, I am constantly shifting from F-N-R with the throttle closed. You can literally move the boat sideways with the shifter lever and the steering wheel turned one way or the other.

Once you have a few hours working with the boat stock, you will either have it or be in need of more assistance. Many will move out to the middle of the lake and throw a floating opject in the water. Then proceed to move around the object and practice. This gives you a feel for what the combinations of F-N-R and wheel movement actually do. Keep in mind, that your controls have a delayed reaction by the boat. And many actions will need a counter reaction by the driver. In other words, reversing to slow your forward movement. This is also combined with the fact that our boats have no true neutral. And putting it in neutral will most definately not stop the boat. My wife cannot get over that one. Her favorite response when someone yells "stop" is to say, "But I have it in neutral" and then hold her hands in the air.

If it comes to more assistance, then you could consider the Cobra Jet Steering that I installed. I did this more for my wife as she only loads/unloads. But that seems to be the most critical steering times.

More Cobra Jet info here: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?63125-Rudder

Good luck, buzz back with questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back