2001 GTX RFI issues.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

niteman9

I have 2001 GTX RFI. Last year near the end of the season it started fouling plugs in about 1 hour. Over the winter I called my marina and asked about bringing it in. He asked me what brand of oil I was using. I told him I thought it was pennzoil. (Was actually quicksilver oil) He said that could be the problem. And the issue did start after I filled the oil. So I sucked all of the oil out and filled it with sea doo branded oil. Changed the plugs and fired it up with the water hose connected.

Took it to the lake the next day and dropped in the water along with my Yamaha Wave Venture. My daughter's took off to bring them to our place and put them on the lifts, I drove back to our place with the trailer.

They took way to long for the short trip and I began to worry. Then I saw them coming down the channel towing the Sea Doo. I pulled the spark plugs and the PTO cylinder spark plug has a ball of aluminum on it. See pic. I pulled the head off and did not see any damage. Could it be from a valve? I put the head back on with new spark plugs. It turns over, tries to fire but won't start.

It's in really good cosmetic condition but I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it. Could this be an easy repair? Less than $1000.00?

Does this have any value as is. I was offered $400.00. I've seen the gauges and hood for sale for more than that.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Did you do a compression check? I restore these old two strokes and about now... that's what they need.... a full going through front to back. It's engine time for all of them that didn't get an engine already. If you buy even a newer ski a 2008... it is still 13 years old and... won't be long before it is in the same condition as the one you own. I think restoring is cheaper and you get a quality product. Even if you spent $2k you can't find a good ski for $2k. $400 is about the going rate for a ski with a bad engine or you could part it our yourself which to me would be a pain. Good Luck whatever you choose.

Thanks for the feedback. That's kinda what I thought, don't want to put $2000.00 into it and still have a 19 year old ski and have the same issues in a year or two. Although I feel they should be good for more than 144 hours. I'm sure Sea Doo's have there merits but for me I will stick with Yamaha's. I wanted to buy two new Yamaha's but all the dealers are sold out. Guess I'm waiting until next year.

Is that strange that the dealers are out of jet skis or does this happen every year? It is that way here in the south now.

For the hours on the ski I think it is more what is done to the ski during those hours. That's hardly any time at all for a 20 year old ski. I don't think many people do correct maintenance, fogging or flushing. The skis get flipped over, sunk, towed and get water in the engine. i don't think you'll have the same issues in two years but new skis are definitely more reliable or should be. I like the smaller skis and the new ones have turned into boats. LOL Plus.... I like resurrecting the old stuff and giving it new life. Good Luck !!

Yamaha cancelled 1/3 of ski's the dealers ordered due to Covid-19. If I had the time I would do the work and just put in a Reman engine. Not sure about southern dealers. Maybe I will check. After all I did drive to Florida to buy my used Chaparral Boat. I do still have the 96 wave venture the kids can use.

A local guy had to drive the north Alabama to get his Yamaha last week. Good Luck 1

Put the See Doo on Facebook marketplace for $1000.00. Had over 30 messages in one hour. Sold ot to the first guy to message me for $1000.00.

So the guy I sold it to replaced the engine in it and wants $2500.00 for it.

It's not a remanufactured engine. He had another engine from a damaged ski. He put a new top end in it.

I'm thinking of getting it back to use the rest of this season and selling in the spring if I buy new ones. Good idea or not?

For 2 - 3 year old low hour used Waverunners people are asking more than MSRP of 2020 models.

It's crazy!

Well I got it back from him. Gave him his $1000 back with an additional $1500. Runs great, don't think I could have got it repaired that quickly and for $1500 at a shop. I'm happy for now. Still plan on replacing both next spring. He gave me a 30 day warranty, better than nothing.

Around here you only get 3 to 4 month warranty on new ones. Ya the come with a year but we only use for 3 - 4 month's then they sit till the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back