2001 GTX RFI $300 find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brianh,... so is yours up and running now ??
I was down for awhile when the fuel pump was failing to get 12 volts which required me to find a complete fuel pump assembly. Now it's developed a oil consumption issue that I think will wait until the off season for me to address.

Ok,.. for those of you who are following, Ive come up to a stumbling point.

After sorting out the starter(s) issue,.. Ive discovered that the fresh Quicksilver that I put in my tank, hoping for a good gravity bleed down, has bled right into the RV and into the cylinders. I noticed this while I was getting the starters worked out that I was beginning to see fresh two stroke oil spraying out of the cyl, it started in the mag cyl, then the pto cyl. So ive clamped the oil lines and removed them from the engine, cranked it over to blow out the excess oil.
Do I need to replace the rv seal ?

Now it's developed a oil consumption issue that I think will wait until the off season for me to address.
Ive been doing some reading where its pretty common on these RFI's to bleed two stroke oil into the engine while sitting, something about a leaking rv seal. ???? I think mine is doing the same thing,.... although mine hasnt run in two yrs, so maybe when I get it running it will be ok ???

Once you get it running it'll still most likely leak, but it's hard to say if its going to improve or not. Have you got the workshop manual?

Have you got the workshop manual?

yes I have the shop manual,...
the ski sat for a very long time before I acquired it, so who's to tell how much leaked over a given time,... I will need to run it and see exactly how much the seals are leaking, then go from there with a shut off valve or such.

Oh I getchya! 2 years is a very long time to have it slowly leaking, so if you keep it running it should be finnnneeeeeee.

Lol... ok, think its viewable now.
So basically, thanks to coastiejoe I was able to track down the problem... the magnetic swith in the lanyard post was stuck, couple of taps and just by putting the key on and off the post several times it started work. The first time I hit the start button she fired right off and idled like a champ. Checked the injectors for leaks, battery charges at 13.6 v, plenty of smoke as you can see, I need to take it out and burn off the excess. Just have to keep an eye on those crank seals and see how much oil leaks down over nite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,... got to splash it today,... wow! she ran awesome! ,.. I was amazed with how tight and smooth this thing rides. There's a slight gurgle (4 stroking) at very low rpm, but give er a lil goose and she dances! (not sure how to adjust low end with FI.)

She behaved so well I gave her a fresh coat of wax when I got her home.

01 RFI.jpg

So,..I consider myself lucky to have found this ski at a great price and through the help of all the members involved in the thread, it turned out to be a success, (knocking on wood).
At this time Id like to extend my sincere gratitude to all the very knowledgeable members in this thread who posted and helped me through this resto.
thank you

Hey Shaw,
These guys, and this place is great, yes? But you'll notice that once they have gotten you fixed and running, they rarely acknowledge the "thank you's" that we whom they have rescued, always express when we are back in action. They are like the Lone Ranger, "No thanks needed pardner, it's what we do and who we are."
Great web hangout, with a collection of very helpful experts.
Hi Ho Silver !
-az-

Wow !!! I just bought the same ski , like the color combo on it unfortunately mine needs an engine loaded I mean loaded with salt sand and anything one owner 107 hours on it, hope to get running like yours , nice job man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back