2001 GTX issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matts94z28

Hello all.

I have been creeping here since October 2011 and finally decided it was time to register. Around September of last year I gave $1500 for a 50hr 2001 GTX complete with trailer and cover.

The reason we gave so little is that the ski had sat for 3-4 years covered in a warehouse. When the owners decided they wanted to get it ready for summer they were hit with a $2000 estimate from the local stealership. Said it needed a fuel pump, new fuel lines, battery, summerization, and a bunch of other mess. I got it home, drained the fuel, and put in a new battery and rode it for about 6 hours. However, it always had a bog down low and made this weird popping (bopbopbop) sound under light throttle. It would also foul out plugs in about 6 hours. The ski still ran 58-60 on the dreamometer.

So as the winter came upon us I went ahead and swapped the grey lines out. When memorial day came upon us it started to run worse after 6-8 hours of riding. It got to the point to where you had to choke it to leave from idle. I was very busy so I took it to a marine shop who had been in the area for 18 years for a carb rebuild. Well this weekend we put about 6 more hours on it and I noticed a few issues with it. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

- The ski makes that popping/breaking up sound around 2-3000rpm (bopbopbop), but clears out up top (Doesn't seem like a misfire).
- Coming off of throttle it always makes that same gurgle it makes around 2-3000rpm.
- The plugs look much better but I noticed the front plus is a little more "lean" than the other.
- There seems to be a dead spot down low and doesn't seem to be as brutal in power. However I still saw 60mph in chop.
- Recently the ski will only do 50mph (7-8-12)
- Also checked the plugs after a WOT run and they are lean on both Mag/PTO sides.
- adjustments on the LS screws do not fix the issue.

Here is video of the sound and a terrible picture of the plugs that my G/F took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paI3pBHOjOw

imagejpeg_2_19.jpg

Now I am torn. I don't want this hack to butcher my ski any more and I do not want to take it somewhere else and waste more money. I should have done the work on the carbs on my own the first time.

Sorry for the long post. These things have quit the learning curve coming from the fuel injected v8 world of cars. I will also be looking for an impeller in the very near future!

Thanks!

First... don't leave it with a mechanic. They obviously didn't fix it right in the first place.

Pull the carbs, and clean them yourself. Verify everything, and make sure the pop-off is in spec.

I can't see the plugs... but if you say they look lean, and you need the choke to get past a dead spot... it also sounds lean to me. (or the pop-off is way too high)

The LS Screws won't do anything for you. The screw only trims the fuel at idle. Once you start to add some throttle... the pilot jet takes over, and the LS screw setting irrelevant. BUT... all seadoo's will run with the factory jetting if there are no other engine mods.

Last thing... since you've obviouly been riding it, and it's lean... I would check the compression. You may have caused damage.

Since the rebuild, I no longer need to choke it.

I am leaving it with him for a chance to make it right. If he can not come through, I will order a jet kit and some flame arrestors from water craft magic and over haul them on my own. I should have done this in the first place, however I was just too busy with other things. I hate that I am essentially throwing away $300 with this guy.

I read some where that some 951's might possibly have a different main jets between the pto/mag. IIRC, I heard the mag side might be larger. Any truth to this?

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the quick response.

I am hoping this guy can make it right. Either by repairing the ski correctly or refunding me enough money to do the over haul on my own. He has been is business for 18 years, so I figured he would be capable.

He tired to tell me it sounded like an issue with the electronics after he claimed he did not see a oil pump cable on my ski. I had to go out and pop the seat off to show him where it was and prove that it was working. It is definitely a fuel issues. However, I am wondering if he removed the cable when he did the rebuild and didn't adjust the oil system properly. I know that would cause it to be lean. There are just too many variables at the moment.

Anyone ever have a ski sound like mine in the video?

Another quick question. I am wondering if too small of line was used when they were replaced. Where exactly do you use the 5' of smaller line on the 951 and where do you use the larger line?

Just trying to cover all of my bases with this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back